NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

As a long time fps player a big mistake Sony made is giving the direction to make these games more like COD when people playing these games were on them to get away from COD. Practically every fps is overly influenced by the COd/MOH formula of tunnel vision gameplay in single and multi/online. Not everyone wants that. Especially fans of other fps franchises who are aware of the formula for much longer than Modern Warfare 1.

KZ3 turned out fine in its own right even if it took several major patches undoing some stuff and demonstrated an important lesson as mentioned above. The next patch tommorow is a biggie with a big Marksman nerf and lots of changes making the game more like KZ2. Still for many it wont ever be a true KZ2 sequel because of 'unwanted' changes. I enjoy the game but i feel some stuff was just silly to change. I prefer KZ2 overall but i enjoy Kz3 too but they really messed up initially. The DLC maps and patches really made the game in the end.

BF3 also has challenges ahead. If it is too COD influenced the BF old timers will be upset. The consoles are looking like BF lite already, with PC taking the lead here. Rush mode is too simplistic as it is for dumb console gamers or COD players (take your pick). The 64 player modes better not be an afterthought on PC. EA themselves created the COD formula through MOH in the first place let see how they handle this. Their marketing is already pouring on the bullshit already. The gaming media is desperate for any little bit of the massive record cash pie EA are offering. However I am excited in the hope it shakes up the status quo much like Deus Ex hopefully has for single player fps.

I love Rush on BC2, and I put in something like 700 hours on BF2 and 2142.

Just finished Killzone 3 and I really enjoyed playing through it. The final few missions on the space station were great, especially when the gravity goes out and bodies are flying everywhere. As I mentioned earlier, for me it's easily better than the second game.

I love Rush on BC2, and I put in something like 700 hours on BF2 and 2142.

Too bad 2142 and BC2 are shit.

Has anyones Resistance 3 Special Edition pre-order from Game geting shipped yet.

Has anyones Resistance 3 Special Edition pre-order from Game geting shipped yet.

My regular edition with free Sackboy Chimeria keyring from Shopto has not gone yet.

My regular edition with free Sackboy Chimeria keyring from Shopto has not gone yet.

Mine neither, tomorrow I expect

Mine neither, tomorrow I expect

Yup, still waiting for mine to be shipped.

The PlayStation Network service will be offline tomorrow evening in Europe between 17:00 and 23:00 UK time due to maintenance, Sony has announced.

During these hours, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable gamers will be unable to access the service or play games online.

Players can get around the disruption by signing in before the maintenance begins. Players who are already connected should find their gameplay unaffected, Sony said.

Access to the PSN Store, plus account registration and management options, will be unavailable to all, however.

Is Sony beefing up its security? The company yesterday unveiled the hiring of ex-US Department of Defence man Philip Reitinger to help combat the threat of hackers.

So get signed on before 5 if you want some Resistance online action....

Mine's shipped now!!!

Tried Killzone 3 online, didn't like it. It was absolute carnage with me getting killed as soon as I stepped out of spawn...constantly.

I wish online games would have a noob zone or something because it seems most FPS games punish you for not playing online all the time. Just about every FPS has a ranking system but most of the time they mean absolutely nothing, with the game pitting you up against people who are experts on the game.

They just need to get rid of this fucking ranking system. I could get into Halo after launch because I could get the same guns as everyone else. I wasn't a n00b with crap equipment. Unlike Killzone/MOH/COD/ETC.

At least there should be a time lock, say after three months, or something, everything is unlocked for everyone on the online.

Tried Killzone 3 online, didn't like it. It was absolute carnage with me getting killed as soon as I stepped out of spawn...constantly.

I wish online games would have a noob zone or something because it seems most FPS games punish you for not playing online all the time. Just about every FPS has a ranking system but most of the time they mean absolutely nothing, with the game pitting you up against people who are experts on the game.

They just need to get rid of this fucking ranking system. I could get into Halo after launch because I could get the same guns as everyone else. I wasn't a n00b with crap equipment. Unlike Killzone/MOH/COD/ETC.

At least there should be a time lock, say after three months, or something, everything is unlocked for everyone on the online.

Yes agreed they do need to get away from copying the COD system. It's sad when a game like Uncharted includes a version of it when there is really no need to.

I think this is one place where Killzone 3's protracted progression towards what Killzone 2 has been beneficial. Day One it was much more accessible as it was limited compared to Killzone 2 and for people like me that did help. Also abandoning my rule of completing the single player first helped. Sometimes I take like 2 weeks to complete a single player even a shorter 8 hour game like a shooter but by then you way behind in terms of multiplayer.

I think if I'm honest Resistance 3 will suffer from a lot of these problems as well. From what I understand Level 4 and Level 10 are where abilities initially unlock so the quicker you get there the better.

The actual weapons/perks seemed rather balanced in the U3 beta. The starting stuff is just as good as the later stuff - you just get more choice as you progress.

The only thing that gives you an advantage is that using the perks/weapons a lot does let you upgrade then. But that also encourages you to unlock the best one then switch to another so you can unlock all of that.

Oh, and I finally get to find out what all this shizzle is about Plants Vs Zombies. Plus the ugly version of the first Resident Evil.

Edited by Cube
Automerged Doublepost

Oh, and I finally get to find out what all this shizzle is about Plants Vs Zombies. Plus the ugly version of the first Resident Evil.

Resident Evil 2 and 3 are also on their way.

Can I pay for Playstation Plus with the PSN cards?

Resident Evil 2 and 3 are also on their way.

Can I pay for Playstation Plus with the PSN cards?

Certainly.

The fuck. Did you just criticise Uncharted?

In a word yes...but also no. I just think its a shame that a when franchise such as Uncharted decided to incorporate multiplayer (a move many said was not needed, but now everyone is glad they did) Naughty Dog felt the need to copy the COD model of perks, rather than come up with something unique and different. Don't get me wrong, they knocked it out of the park in terms of what it does and sure there are gameplay modes that offer something different but I still stand by this train of thought.

That's why in a lot of ways Journey fascinates me its novel twist on multiplayer and its reliance on limited communication and emergent gameplay offers something truly different. Admittedly a very different genre altogether but still.

Anyway sooner or later I think its inevitable that we will be able to pay for the perks and loadout we want. Also think that the likes of COD will become free to play/subscription based as they further tighten their grip on the masses.

I think AC Brotherhood did ranking well, in ranked games you basically played people of similar level and the trickle of abilities and perks was welcome and felt like nice rewards. I do agree that if games pit you against others that have a vastly better arsenal than you that it's quite unfair.

I don't have a huge problem with Perk systems, personally. Chances are if someone that's played the game more is constantly killing you it's because of that time they've put in; familiarity with combat and knowing the maps wins out. People like to blame their deaths on things being "overpowered", but more often than not they were simply outplayed.

There's always someone out there that's put more time into, or is simply better at, a game than you. Luckily this isn't the Olympics, so just have fun with it and find enjoyment where you can.

I don't have a huge problem with Perk systems, personally. Chances are if someone that's played the game more is constantly killing you it's because of that time they've put in; familiarity with combat and knowing the maps wins out. People like to blame their deaths on things being "overpowered", but more often than not they were simply outplayed.

There's always someone out there that's put more time into, or is simply better at, a game than you. Luckily this isn't the Olympics, so just have fun with it and find enjoyment where you can.

Games such as Gears of War have ranking systems but they don't give you more weapons/perks. If you get killed on games like that then yeah it is probably your own fault. Halo uses one but matches up the players the best it can.

Games that reward players with perks for higher ranks and then pit these players against new ones just flat out isn't fair. For a new player coming to the multiplayer months after release it makes the difficulty curve very steep.

It was like myself playing Killzone 3 yesterday. At first I was getting butchered by people who were higher ranks than me and had better equipment. Eventually I changed my class to Medic and just ran around healing til I had enough points to unlock some decent gear. At this point I started to fight back, as I had the tools at my disposal to do so.

I can see what your saying but I believe players should not be punished for not playing the multiplayer constantly. If you are going to have some form of ranking system in the game then at least make it work so the game matches you up with people at the level, or near, the same level as you.

Yes.

In most cases I find you can create a viable class after just a few competitive games anyway, balance issues newbies bemoan are always overstated

I can see what your saying but I believe players should not be punished for not playing the multiplayer constantly. If you are going to have some form of ranking system in the game then at least make it work so the game matches you up with people at the level, or near, the same level as you.

Well, what I'm saying is that it's pretty much inevitable you're going to be matched with someone that has more experience than you, both figuratively and actually.

Most multiplayer games will cater to a fairly small, dedicated audience. Whilst I agree that there should be filtering systems in place, such systems aren't always tenable if you aren't Halo or CoD; funnily enough the latter has no filtering in place, it throws you in a room with the first people it finds. Such systems also have other considerations, such as their effect on search times — people tend to get annoyed at waiting over 30 seconds to get into a match.

As an aside, Killzone 3 is probably one of the most egregious examples of new players being at a disadvantage. The issue isn't so much the progression system as its tendency to lock away the fundamental functionality of each class; your lack of equipment is the problem, not the higher level players' abundance of it.

At the end of the day though, it'd be quite hard to pick out whether the new player was losing simply due to inexperience or the weaponry. In fact, it's probably inexperience more than weaponry. And as soon as you gain reasonable experience, both in actual and point form, you have those weapons yourself.