NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

Yeah it is worth it. Even though I have the disc I was thinking of downloading it just so its always on the system definitely one of those titles that awesome for 5 mins here and there.

I had the same thought and installed it (not that i plan on keeping plus but it's there for abit) but it wont let me load my save for the disc version of paradise! :(

I had the same thought and installed it (not that i plan on keeping plus but it's there for abit) but it wont let me load my save for the disc version of paradise! :(

oh well that kills that idea.

My god, just getting as far as to seeing the welcome back package is a pain in the ass on the PSP.

At least you get the chance. Mine seems to have given up the ghost on the wireless font. FFS.

Once you clicked on the welcome bk free thing on your Psp you can manage it on ps3 through the services menu that's how I did it. Cos I couldn't get the games to load up on Psp

Did people know these are the choices that we get video rental wise;

Resident Evil: Regeneration

House of the dead 2

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Really enjoying Burnout Paradise. Unfortunately my month is filled with exams so I'll only be playing this game while ignoring Infamous/Wipeout until after my tests are over at the end of the month. I understand that free games through PS+ are no longer playable after the subscription ends. But does that also apply to the other free stuff like Dynamic themes?

Argh, I've remembered why I stay away from the PS3 for gaming now and always buy the multi platform stuff on Xbox. Before anyone asks, I wanted a Blu-Ray player and opted for the PS3 so I could play the odd exclusive that appealed to me.

Case in point - Burnout Paradise. Taken a good hour or so to download. Then I had to wait 20 minutes for it to install. Okay, so I'm good to go now...or so I thought. I need an update for it to work, only not one update, five of them!! Why oh why can it not just download the last update and ignore the rest?? On Xbox, if I buy a four year old game, it'll likely need an update, as it's probably had about 20 since it came out, but it takes seconds. I've been sat here for half an hour waiting for Burnout to update, and it's currently only on update 2/5.

It's not just this - for some reason, my OFFICIAL Bluetooth headset had somehow uninstalled itself, and I had to piss around redoing it, which only worked after the third try. Then I tried to have a voice chat with a friend - nooooooooo, apparently I need a compatible camera to do that - I managed to chat with him while we were playing Dead Nation, but why in the world can you not chat to your friends while you are playing a different game? It's terrible! Then for some reason, we got disconnected and he quite annoyingly sent me a load of game invites. I couldn't tell him that I couldn't reconnect, so now I have about 20 game invites in my message box which I have to delete one by fucking one as there's no option to delete all that I can see.

The controller is awful - based on a 15 year old design where they put the analogue sticks too close together because that was the only place they could put them when the first DualShock came out as the D-pad was more commonly used in those days. Playing a game like Dead Nation where I want to move right and shoot left ends up with me catching my thumbs against each other, though I know that's just me being ham fisted I suppose.

I don't mean to come across as fanboyish, but the Xbox is so much better and easier to use. The PS3 as a gaming machine is a confusing unintuitive mess and I don't understand how people put up with it.

Luckily, most of the PS3 exclusives aren't up to much, LBP and Uncharted excluded.

Edited by Dog-amoto

Burnout's a bit of an outlier. If you bought a vanilla copy for 360 you'd need to update that too, albeit by downloading packs off the Marketplace as opposed to relying on a standard system update. I agree that not pre-patching downloads is silly, but I assume there is a reason for it; Live's downloads aren't patched either, but generally the updates take less than a minute.

To delete all messages in your inbox press Triangle whilst highlighting the Received box — not viewing the list of messages, the step before that — then select Delete.

As for the DualShock, I don't have any issues with the stick placement although apparently quite a lot of people do. I sometimes wonder how they're using it: I push the sticks around with the tips of my thumbs, not cover the tops with the pads of my digits. Then again perhaps I just have ladylike hands.

This has now taken well over an hour to update a bloody game!! It was quicker on the ZX Spectrum! What really irks me is that I don't even have the option to just ignore the update and play offline. At least the Xbox asks you first if you want to update, and signs you out.

As for the controller, my thumbs tend to slip off a bit so that's why it happens - my own fault I know and I know it's down to personal preference.

Thanks for the tip on the message deleting though! :)

What really irks me is that I don't even have the option to just ignore the update and play offline.

Press Circle when it asks you whether you want to update. Done.

As I said Burnout is something of an outlier. It's had hundreds of megabytes of free content added to it, and you need that content to play it online; even if you haven't unlocked a car, you still need access to the assets so it can be displayed in your game. There certainly are games with really egregiously large updates that don't have that excuse, though: it's nice that there's functionality being added, but a bit of consideration for those with lacklustre connections would be nice.

Case in point - Burnout Paradise.

Ironically, you chose the single game that proves the opposite - that the PS3 update system is better.

As each patch was released on 360 you had to delete the previous one and download a new file from the marketplace - this file contained all previous updates. So not only did you have to manually find the updates, but each time the game was patched you needed to re-download all the additional content. The final patch was over 1GB.

On the PS3 the updates just worked the same way as any other game. Unlike the Xbox, you didn't have to re-download all the previous patches if you had them.

Now that all the patches are out, a new player still has to download the same amount on either console.

Burnout Paradise has to be an exception though, as every other type of update seems faster and updates when loading the game up on 360!

Which brings me to my next question why does Burnout on the 360 require you to go into the marketplace and download the patch that way rather than the normal way of doing things?

Playstation Plus means most my updates are automated. Score.

Funny how I've never had to wait for an hour and a half for an Xbox game to update, so I'd have to say that the Xbox has a better system, though I really can't comment on Burnout as I've never played it.

It's not just that though - took 45 minutes to update LBP, an hour for Killzone 2 and god knows how long for Uncharted. And I have a fast broadband connection. Add the fact that there's no voice chat between games, and it's just a very poor alternative to Xbox Live which is a shame because the hardware is better.

Playstation Plus means most my updates are automated. Score.

Show off with your premium membership! ;)

and it's just a very poor alternative to Xbox Live which is a shame because the hardware is better.

Although i do agree with the most of what you are saying... we do pay for Xbox Live....

Edited by Mike1988uk

Which brings me to my next question why does Burnout on the 360 require you to go into the marketplace and download the patch that way rather than the normal way of doing things?

Funny how I've never had to wait for an hour and a half for an Xbox game to update

Both of these have the same answer. Apart from a very select special cases (Call of Duty and Gears 3 beta are two of the exceptions, I believe), Microsoft have a size limit on patches.

Something around the scale of 10MB.

Show off with your premium membership! ;)

Hell yeeeeeeah!! :D

Seriously though, it does streamline the whole thing a lot. Although they stopped doing push demos which is weird.

Although they stopped doing push demos which is weird.

They just annoyed me, either cluttering up my HDD with stuff I didn't want/had already played or otherwise needlessly eating into my bandwidth.

Also, I maintain that Automatic Downloads of game updates should be a standard feature. Hopefully they'll announce new Plus functionality at E3, allowing the former to go free.

Yeah, I agree they were more annoying than not but they should have just improved the options. Like allowing you to select which demos got pushed onto you.

Also, considering Sony could have easily made money out of developers for giving demos priority it's even stranger.

Yeah, I agree they were more annoying than not but they should have just improved the options. Like allowing you to select which demos got pushed onto you.

Also, considering Sony could have easily made money out of developers for giving demos priority it's even stranger.

Its not a problem if you have a decent connection. Whihc everyone here says they have depite complaining about download times ;)

It's not a problem, per se. It's just fucking clumsy.

Any pre-e3 bantz? Fuck the temporary board until the Live Stream.

Basically I'd like to see some more from Last Guardian and uhm. Maybe a little slice of Resistance but not too much. Uhm. Bit of Unch maybe?

I'm not really sure what they can do that will strike me, the NGP is kinda nyah because I'm not going to be buying one anytime soon.

I'd like Sony to not be shit. I know I ask a lot.

They weren't horrendous last year. And looking at Microsoft's effort... They'd pretty much have to shoot a baby on stage to top it.

They were pretty fucking awesome the last two years. I'm just finding it hard to get excited which is strange because I really want to see the Vita.

It might have something to do with the 1am start. Uuurgh.