NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

Eurogamer has seen video evidence that verifies reports that Sony's PlayStation Network password reset page has been hacked.

The exploit allows attackers to change your password using only your PSN account email and your date of birth – information compromised in the PSN hack of 20th April.

Sony today made PSN sign-in unavailable for a number of its websites, including PlayStation.com and the PlayStation forums. All PlayStation game titles are also unavailable.

Crucially, the website users are directed to by password reset emails is now down.

"Unfortunately this also means that those who are still trying to change their password via Playstation.com or Qriocity.com will be unable to do so for the time being," Sony said. "This is due to essential maintenance and at present it is unclear how long this will take.

"In the meantime you will still be able to sign into PSN via your PlayStation 3 and PSP devices to connect to game services and view Trophy/Friends information."

Sony later tweeted: "Clarification: this maintenance doesn't affect PSN on consoles, only the website you click through to from the password change email."

The exploit was first revealed on Nylevia.com.

"I would suggest that you secure your accounts now by creating a completely new email that you will not use ANYWHERE ELSE, and switching your PSN account to use this new email," recommends the site.

"You risk having your account stolen, when this hack becomes more public, if you do not make sure that your PSN account's email is one that cannot be affiliated with or otherwise traced to you."

NeoGAF users have also corroborated the claim.

Nylevia claims to have contacted Sony about the exploit. "The system went down approximately 15 minutes after I received a response from SCEE on the matter."

Sony has taken the page in question down, and with any luck is fixing the exploit.

This is getting out of hand now.

Am I reading that right?

So the website that I clicked on to change my password has also been hacked?

I changed my Password via the PS3. Is at least this method safe? Oo

Edit:

"Clarification: this maintenance doesn't affect PSN on consoles, only the website you click through to from the password change email."

I guess it is safe. I hope it is safe...

Edited by drahkon

"...make sure that your PSN account's email is one that cannot be affiliated with or otherwise traced to you."

Already had that step prepared before the service came online. Go me!

hmmm so my email which is part of my name and the one I used for everything is a no go...

Haha, on the day I get my password reset email too..

Can't help but find the situation even more hilarious now.

Please can someone confirm that if I changed my password on my PS3 that I am safe?

Please can someone confirm that if I changed my password on my PS3 that I am safe?

Yes they have not been hacked again or anything rather an exploit that could be used to reset password via PC has been found.

No - your PS3 wil explode and release a toxic death cloud killing all your household. Not much point me posting this you'll be dead already.

Yeah, I would of thought so. If you (or someone else) tried to change your password again, you'd have to supply your current password to accept a new one. Since your new password would be different than the one that was leaked (theoretically what a hacker would use to try and intercept your account) you shouldn't have any problems.

Just realised that LBP on psp is 1.2GB I have two one gig memory cards so now its not as good a freebie as won't be able to play it. Guess at least memory cards are relatively cheap.

No - your PS3 wil explode and release a toxic death cloud killing all your household. Not much point me posting this you'll be dead already.

t1larg.portal2.glados.valve.jpg

Good news. I figured out what the thing they just hacked...did. It was a morality core which they installed after I flooded the living room with a deadly neurotoxin which prevented me from flooding the living room with a deadly neurotoxin. So...get ready for the neurotoxin.

Well your PS3 might explode.

Firmware 3.61 causing PS3s to overheat?

I did notice mine was making a hell of the noise the other day. Had been playing Killzone and then a dvd and during the film it did it. Doesn't it do it when it needs to cool down anyway though>? Kicks in with fan super quick?

Playstation Apocalypse

I think you mean

APOCALYPS3