NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

The Live problems were back in 2008.

I really should go to bed.

Sorry, I miss read ur message. Yeah i remember that, didn't we get some game where u were swimming in water which was indeed shit?

I remember that game!! I didn't think it was as bad as everyone said. Although I only ever bothered to play it once.

Live was down for near enough a fortnight, if I remember correctly. We got the inoffensive Undertow as compensation, which I played once and forgot about until now.

It's surprising the online systems don't break more often, really.

I unlocked a ton of stuff in Mortal Kombat. Also weather was great in the evening.

Update:

An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th. Providing quality entertainment services to our customers and partners is our utmost priority. We are doing all we can to resolve this situation quickly, and we once again thank you for your patience. We will continue to update you promptly as we have additional information to share.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/22/update-on-playstation-network-qriocity-services/

Sounds pretty serious and Sony have every right to be angry. An intrusion would be pretty serious. As they say no security system is ever 100% perfect.

Anonymous seem like a bunch of crazies that cant keep themselves under control. We know already that Anonymous are not organised at all. But its amusing to see how a bunch of kids make announcements that contradict each other within a day and lack any organisation. You have one sub group saying we will hack once PSN is up others saying we wont affect any users and another saying they had nothing to do with it etc. Given that they are already harassing and affecting employees its not a matter to take lightly for Sony. Anonymous or otherwise.

Edited by Choze

I may have missed something but whey are they so intent on hacking PSN etc?

Are they big nintendo or microsoft fanboys or something!!?

Are they doing it for any reason or is it just because they 'can'?

Shame they don't use their powers for actual good, instead of attacking an entertainment company.

I think that's honestly what I hate most about this.

Do hackers need a reason? One person gets pissed off and something like this can happen.

Not that I care much, I don't play online multiplayer nowadays. In fact I started playing less and less when XBL went down that Christmas.

Then I recommend you watch Summer Wars Daft.

It's a fantastic anime film, one of the best I've ever seen.

Is it definitely the hackers doing this, or is it just Sony's incompetence. I can never tell with you people.

Apparently it is an outside problem. I was wrong earlier.

A small update from their blog.

We sincerely regret that PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have been suspended, and we are working around the clock to bring them both back online. Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure. Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security.

We thank you for your patience to date and ask for a little more while we move towards completion of this project. We will continue to give you updates as they become available.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/04/24/latest-update-for-psnqriocity-services/

Lolz. The article on IGN is absolutely fucking hilarious. Their sense of entitlement and acting like the fucking world is imploding is so so so lol.

Lolz. The article on IGN is absolutely fucking hilarious. Their sense of entitlement and acting like the fucking world is imploding is so so so lol.

Haha, yeah. Isn't it better in the long run that they take the time to improve against this happening again? Yeah it's frustrating that we can't play online but surely people can find some other way to amuse themselves for a few days.

IGN are arse. An utterly shitty site.

I think because I am being new I can't like this. I would like to quote for truth though.

I hate all gaming sites like that, they're all the same. Kotaku put up an article asking if Sony owe us anything for this downtime. I don't think they do, we're not paying for the service. PSPlus subcribers are paying for something but they're only paying for early content and cloud saving as far as I'm aware, nothing like online multiplayer like XBL forces you to pay for.

I don't know how you can dislike an article that includes this gem:

Without it [PSN], the PS3 can do about as much as my NES can...

re-building our system

Must have been a major problem if they had to re-build it :o.

Make of this what you will.

From TheSixthAxis

Possible SCEE Source Cites Reason For PSN Outage

Rage against the machine.

In the wee hours of this morning a tipster contacted TSA, as well as PSU, with information as to why the PSN has been down for the last few days. Obviously we can’t validate the accuracy of this source, although screen grabs were provided showing his private conversation, apparently with a SCEE employee that he claims to have a close connection with.

This conversation yielded potentially new information, with the tipster stating that there was a “sustained LOIC attack on the PSN Store†and “a concentrated attack on PS servers holding account infoâ€. We’re told that Admin Dev accounts were breached and the PSN was shut down by Sony, who are now in the process of restoring backups to new servers.

We’ve seen equally unsupported claims elsewhere that personal details, passwords and log history were breached, as well as the encrypted files storing credit card info. Apparently those card details are still secure because of the way they are encrypted but users’ personal info might have been attained during the attack. Obviously this is not confirmed and is based on hearsay but if true it is quite worrying.

Obviously this is all based on the claims of a source whose identity is unclear. As such, we’d advise you to be cautious about the validity. If true though, it could have very serious ramifications.

We would advise against anyone panicking based on these vague claims but there is some cause for concern and we would urge SCE to help set people’s minds at rest by making a more detailed official statement which either confirms or clearly denies the loss of data.