NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

Demon's Souls is an absolute masterpeice.

Just thought I would leave this here........

cookiemonsterpreview.jpg

Demon's Souls is an absolute masterpeice.

Just thought I would leave this here........

cookiemonsterpreview.jpg

That is fucking awesome.

cookie-monster-20080603-133713.jpg

The multiplayer of KZ2 is actually brilliant though, and so was R2s at the time of its release. The campaigns are another story, as they are with most FPS'.

Resistance 3 is going to be awesome though.

That may be true, but I wouldn't know. Multiplayer to me is either Team Fortress/L4D/Unch2 or CoD. I really have absolutely no interest in adding anything to that mix and while I did try KZ2 and R2 multiplayer and enjoyed them, I just didn't see the point. So yeah, I'm judging them based solely on singleplayer. And they're both overrated. Even if I did enjoy them. Which is more than I can say for Infamous, which I gave up on 3 hours in.

Have Sony ever said why you cant stay connected to the PSN when watching dvds? It would make life so much easier if I could put a dvd on while downloading something!

Have Sony ever said why you cant stay connected to the PSN when watching dvds? It would make life so much easier if I could put a dvd on while downloading something!

Yeah I've always thought that was dumb. Guess its because it shuts it all down and just keeps that minimum running it needs for a dvd to play. Does 360 do such things?

I always forget that the PS3 can't download in standby mode.

You can leave it to switch off when it's done not quite the same but still it's an option

Just started playing MGS4. The only MGS game I've played was The Twin Snakes and that was awesome.

I've just had an incredibly long cutscene with some guy selling me guns (seriously, this part should have lasted less then a minute) then Otacon phoned me to explain it all again. Which is rather annoying as up to that point the game has told me barely anything about the game's mechanics. I don't know how the alarms work (the timer seems to reset for unkown reasons), it took me ages to find out that you could unequip your gun to do stealth attacks, the radar (once you get it) is unreadable (not to mention the whole eye patch thing makes no sense... especially as Otacon claims it's in 3D when it only covers one eye) and loads of little stuff like that. I'm over an hour in and I still know barely anything about how you play it.

I have little interest in the story so far. All I know is that I'm in some middle-eastern city with HL2:EP2 Hunters running around, and that I need some people who have seen Liquid Snake. Throughout the cutscenes there also seem to be button prompts that bring up barely-visible concept art. I have no idea what that's about.

So far, the graphics are very ugly (probably not helped by the bland setting) as I seem to be looking at mainly low quality textures. The character models don't even seem that good, either.

So, based on the first hour and a bit, the game seems utterly terrible. The worst experience I've had this generation (excluding Doctor Who on Wii).

You shouldn't bother with MGS4 unless you've played the other three. As in, I seriously wouldn't bother. 4 is glorious fan service.

Also, how is the radar unreadable?

Edited by Daft

Also, how is the radar unreadable?

It's a blurry mess of pixels. I was expecting something similar to the one in TTS.

So wait, you actually thought MGS4 was a game? Ah ah ah ah... It's just a movie, Cube. It's useless to play it unless you know the story of the first 3. And even then, it's just damage control. Much like any single game that came out on the PS3's early stage, it's overrated.

It's a blurry mess of pixels. I was expecting something similar to the one in TTS.

It's a circle around you that highlights threats/movement/sound. Isn't it?

It's a circle around you that highlights threats/movement/sound. Isn't it?

It's a mess of pixels on the top right of the screen. The game hasn't mentioned what the odd circle thing is yet.

It sounds like some of the problems I'm having wouldn't exist if there was an optional recap and tutorial.

I don't think I ever used the radar. I can't remember having any problems at all, tbh (apart from the awful pacing). Then again, I'd played each of the three previous games over the three previous weekends and they control like absolute shite, so MGS4 was definitely going to feel a Hell of a lot better.

Seriously, play 2 and 3. MGS4 is not the game to start on. And I hear Twin Snakes is a bit of a weird version of MGS1.

Are you aware there's a 90 minute cutscene? Just curious...

Yes, I'm aware of the large amount of long cutscenes. I just assumed from the reviews that what little gameplay there is would be pretty good.

In regards to playing 2 and 3...I don't have a console that can play them.

Then I wouldn't bother even playing 4. It relies on you having played the previous three. It's actually a waste of time.

You could definitely get away with playing any of the previous three individually, but not 4. Especially when it literally starts going retro.

First of all... Twin Snakes is the definitive version of MGS. There's nothing "weird" about it. It's the best version available. Period.

Second, skip MGS2. I never liked it, and now it only sucks even more since the ooomph factor is now gone. Read a summary or something. Don't bother with it.

Third. Snake Eater, do it. Seriously. If you're getting a 3DS, you have no excuse to skip it. It's awesome! Be warned, though (and this applies to mgs4 too), the boss fights are very mediocre (except for a specific one which is one of the best ever... and I'm talking 'bout The End.)

Fourth, what daft said. Don't even bother going near MGS4 unless you've played the others. Just don't do it. It's a moot point.

So I should enjoy it more if I put it aside, YouTube the second and get the third on 3DS before starting again?

First of all... Twin Snakes is the definitive version of MGS. There's nothing "weird" about it. It's the best version available. Period.

Second, skip MGS2. I never liked it, and now it only sucks even more since the ooomph factor is now gone. Read a summary or something. Don't bother with it.

Third. Snake Eater, do it. Seriously. If you're getting a 3DS, you have no excuse to skip it. It's awesome! Be warned, though (and this applies to mgs4 too), the boss fights are very mediocre (except for a specific one which is one of the best ever... and I'm talking 'bout The End.)

Fourth, what daft said. Don't even bother going near MGS4 unless you've played the others. Just don't do it. It's a moot point.

The music is different (and worse) in Twin Snakes, that I do know.

I loved 2. It was just absurd. The whole Snake Plissken thing. Plus, I love Raiden. Never understood the hate for him. Rose, on the other hand, could die one thousand and twelve violent deaths. I remember wanting to save once because I had to go somewhere and she had a 20 minute conversation with me before letting me save. Funny in retrospect. Also, I think it's necessary to full acclimatise to the weirdness of the series.

And Snake Eater has my favourite game ending ever.

So I should enjoy it more if I put it aside, YouTube the second and get the third on 3DS before starting again?

Replay Twin Snakes first. Then youtube/read/whatever MGS2... Then 3DS Snake Eater... then MGS4.

And by god, man, get yourself some Demon's Souls!

The music is different (and worse) in Twin Snakes, that I do know.

I loved 2. It was just absurd. The whole Snake Plissken thing. Plus, I love Raiden. Never understood the hate for him. Rose, on the other hand, could die one thousand and twelve violent deaths. I remember wanting to save once because I had to go somewhere and she had a 20 minute conversation with me before letting me save. Funny in retrospect. Also, I think it's necessary to full acclimatise to the weirdness of the series.

And Snake Eater has my favourite game ending ever.

I'm not bashing MGS2 for it's story or for Raiden, I love Raiden too. And the story is absolutely ludicrous, yes... but quite good entertainment overall. I just mean the game itself... is weak. Nothing really stands out. Twin Snakes/Snake Eater are the best gameplay wise, no real point in getting a ps2 just to play MGS2, imo. If he had a PS2, yeah, I'd say go ahead and play it. But without one, there really just is no point to it.

Snake Eater ending > the world.

except for a specific one which is one of the best ever... and I'm talking 'bout The End.

I think it's the best boss fight ever. Taking place in several areas, the tension building up almost infinitely, the silence, the surroundings...it's perfect.

Edit: Give me Twin Snakes, MGS2: Substance and MGS3: Subsistence in an HD-Collection, NOW!

Edited by drahkon

I think it's the best boss fight ever. Taking place in several areas, the tension building up almost infinitely, the silence, the surroundings...it's perfect.

It's ironic it should be in the same game in which a boss battle involves a guy who shoots bees. :rolleyes: