NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

I splashed my Play.com funds (that I got from my free copy of BSG) on Uncharted, Uncharted 2, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time, MGS4 and Heavy Rain. Although I'm not confident that any will actually arrive tomorrow.

Blimey lots of great exclusives to keep you busy there.

I'll be adding a load of you when my PS3 arrives tomorrow.

I thought you couldn't use the controller as it hurt your hands?

Edited by Caris

I thought you couldn't use the controller as it hurt your hands?

That was the PS2 one, hopefully the PS3 one is slightly different (the PS1 was great to hold). Plus I've grown since then (both in that I have bigger hands and am more mature). The only PS3 controller I've touched is Move.

I can always get that controller adaptor to use my 360 wired controller if I have problems.

I have a few questions about PlayStation Plus.

How many games are currently free to play?

Can you only play games for the month they're on the service?

Are these games retroactive (i.e. can I play games which were made free a year ago)?

I understand that I won't be able to play any after I stop paying for the service, but I've discovered that I don't tend to play XBLA much after completing them.

You get one PSN game and two minis a month (at least, sometimes there are more - like this month Stacking was free). Sometimes there's DLC, too (Like when they gave away all of Fallout 3's DLC). You only get games for months you are subscribed for, so the long you are subscribed the more games you have access to. So no, you can't play games that were free a year ago. You are allowed to play these games as long as you have an active subscription.

If you let your subscription laps you can get access to everything by renewing your membership at any time.

Edited by Daft
Typos

I have a few questions about PlayStation Plus.

How many games are currently free to play?

Quite a lot at the moment due to various circumstances. This month there's Shatter, Stacking, Lead & Gold, the NeoGeo game Magician Lord plus three Minis. There's also discounts and some other bits, all of which you can keep abreast of over at the Playtation.Blog.

Can you only play games for the month they're on the service?

You can play inclusive content as long as you're a Plus subscriber. Naturally anything that's discounted — as opposed to free — you keep forever once paid for, regardless of Plus status.

Are these games retroactive (i.e. can I play games which were made free a year ago)?

No, although if you downloaded some content a year ago, your subscription lapsed and then you resubscribed that content could be played once more; I'm not entirely sure if you'd be able to actually redownload it, but if it's still on your system it'll work.

You get one PSN game and two minis a month (at least, sometimes there are more - like this month Stacking was free). Sometimes there's DLC, too (Like when they gave away all of Fallout 3's DLC). You only get games for months you are subscribed for, so the long you are subscribed the more games you have access to. So no, you can't play games that were free a year ago. You are allowed to play these games as long as you have an active subscription.

If you let your subscription laps you can get access to everything by renewing your membership at any time.

This isn't strictly true...mine lapsed in december and there is a ton of content I can still play. Granted some of locked out but I would say 90% isn't.

I spent most of my time downloading stuff and installing updates.

I can also see why Xbox Live is £40 a year. Still, Stacking is awesome, Wipeout HD is pretty fun.

Blu-Rays look even better through this than my laptop connected to my TV/Monitor (via HDMI), and I decided to test WALL-E on DVD...it looked utterly brilliant.

I should have one or two games ready for tonight, if not then I have a few demos (Killzone 3 and LBP2) and stuff to try out.

The controller is usable, although I'll take a while to get used to the stick placement. I may also have to get the attachments for the sticks/triggers. The build quality of the controller is miles better than the 360 controller, though.

The console itself is also half the size of what I was expecting.

Stacking is awesome.

Yes, it is. As for other free games on PS Plus you're going to complete them before your subscription runs out. I started Stacking on Saturday and got 100% in a few hours.

i LOVE stacking! I tried out the demo and was hooked so got it. Played through the 1st level with all the solutions and just got a couple to find in the 2nd level. Really different and funny and whilst some of the solutions to puzzles can be obtuse some can also be just as clever.

Started playing Heavy Rain last night and it's great so far (I loved Fahrenheit). I think once it's done I'm going to start again and mess up as much as possible.

Started playing Heavy Rain last night and it's great so far (I loved Fahrenheit). I think once it's done I'm going to start again and mess up as much as possible.

Its been about a year, i think ill replay that this weekend.

This past weekend i replayed MGS4 and was stunned by how amazing it still is. I actually enjoyed it more this time because i wasnt rushing through it to get to Metal Gear Online.

Yeah I leant it to a mate and really want it back so can do exactly that.

I was going to get all multiformat games on 360, but the way Valve are going with Portal 2 it sounds like the 360 will get a half-arsed version.

Now to decide if Move is worth £40.

Where's the option to swap L1 and R1 for L2 and R2 in Uncharted? The default controls suck and I can't find the option to change it anywhere.

I don't think it has the option, presumably because the triggers are awful for such functions. They're fine for one-off taps or granular depression — such as for accelerating a vehicle — but they're too spongy for weapon controls; you want snap and pop, not crumple.

Presumably you're simply not fully acclimatised to the controller.

Using L2 for Aim and R2 for shooting worked fine in the Killzone 3 demo.

I also completed Heavy Rain tonight, loved it. And it didn't go all crazy at the end like the last one.

Using L2 for Aim and R2 for shooting worked fine in the Killzone 3 demo.

Bleh... Like biting into sponge.

Speaking of bad tastes left in your mouth, the report of Portal 2 being Move compatible is complete balls. And not orange and blue glowing balls, either.

It seemed a bit unlikely for such a thing to be revealed this late.

Also it would be hard to do some of the fast-firing moments using Move...

Move is pretty accurate. For some it would be better than the controller. Definitely the best motion implementation for a shooter pre SOCOM. The launch patch will include afew more options for buttons for Move users.

Bleh... Like biting into sponge.

Standard on the 360.

Standard on the 360.

The triggers on the 360 controller are totally different, though. They've far more definitive travel on them, despite also being analogue; try mashing on both and tell me which feels better.