NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

I'm suprised they even bothered making a 720p 3D TV, I thought it might have been a typo.

Great idea - hope this is true!

PS3 getting cloud saving in firmware update 3.60

gamcloudps3530-copy.jpg

According to a recent report from Kotaku, unnamed sources in the game development community have received notifications from Sony telling of a feature which will be incorporated into PS3 firmware update 3.60: Cloud storage for saved games. According to the report, the feature (called "Online Saving") gives developers the opportunity to let players set up their save files on a remote server, preserving the precious, precious space on their own hard drives, and allowing players to access save data from multiple consoles.

These developers also reportedly explained that the feature will only be made available to PlayStation Plus subscribers, or, as they'll henceforth be called, the "Save File Insured." This report sounds fairly believable -- remote storage was one of the rumored features of PlayStation Plus before its reveal, and there was also that Sony trademark for "PS Cloud" back in 2009. We've contacted Sony for a comment on this report.

Great idea - hope this is true!

I think its coming didn't expect quite so soon but great news...although will it be available for all or just Plus subscribers?!

I think its coming didn't expect quite so soon but great news...although will it be available for all or just Plus subscribers?!

Probably just plus, it would be a good way to try and get more ppl to pay for the upgraded 'membership', another premuim feature etc.

Probably just plus, it would be a good way to try and get more ppl to pay for the upgraded 'membership', another premuim feature etc.

To be honest I would probably pay for it

Cloud saving as a Plus feature makes sense: there is a cost involved for Sony in terms of storage and maintenance, so it fits as a premium feature.

Personally I think they should introduce the above and make Automatic Download a standard feature.

How much storage can there really be involved? A save game file is only a few kilobytes, much less than what you have stored in your email inbox (provided free most of the time) heck you probably have about the same data saved here, on N-E.

If 35 million PS3 owners saved 50x500KB save files, that would only be 875TB of data. Considering I have a 1.5TB HDD in my home computer that's not much for a server farm owned by Sony.

And 500KB is my most conservative estimate, if they're only 50KB... well you can do the math :)

How much storage can there really be involved? A save game file is only a few kilobytes, much less than what you have stored in your email inbox (provided free most of the time) heck you probably have about the same data saved here, on N-E.

If 35 million PS3 owners saved 50x500KB save files, that would only be 875TB of data. Considering I have a 1.5TB HDD in my home computer that's not much for a server farm owned by Sony.

And 500KB is my most conservative estimate, if they're only 50KB... well you can do the math :)

On the PS3 we are talking some huge file sizes. Same games are 100+MB I doubt all games will be compatible.

Gamers are reporting that Sony's recent PlayStation 3 firmware "security patch" prevents users from upgrading the console's hard disk drive.

PS3 firmware update v3.56 – released last week – was described as a "security patch" by Sony bigshot Eric Lempel.

Some speculated that it was an attempt by Sony to prevent George "Geohot" Hotz's infamous jailbreak from working.

However, reports indicated the patch itself was hacked just days after release – and now it seems it has caused problems for unsuspecting PS3 owners.

Eurogamer reader Marshall2008 took to Eurogamer's forum to spread the bad news: "At present you will get error 8002f2c5 when you change your HDD and the only way to fix it is to put the old drive back in," he wrote.

"I bought a 320GB HDD to upgrade my 120GB PS3 Slim. I stuck the drive in and got the usual message about putting in a USB drive/stick with update 3.56 or newer on. I stuck the old drive into a sata caddy formatted it and put the update on. All good so far until it gave me error 8002f225.

"Checking online it appears to be a firmware bug which screws up upgrading your HDD. Unfortunately for me I wiped the original drive so I can't just stick it back in and I will have to wait for a fix."

Eurogamer reader Joseph Bat then pointed Eurogamer towards spiralling threads on the official EU PlayStation forum.

Reports indicate the issue is restricted to the 16MB flash PlaySation 3 models – which includes the Slim. Eurogamer has contacted Sony for comment.

So does this effect people who have already swapped out their hard drive or only if you attempt to do it now?

EDIT:

Seems like its only if your doing it now

Edited by flameboy

WTF. Updated and thought about finally getting a new PS3 HDD.

Yeah no it's 720, the 1080 is £849... which coincidentally looks to be the cheapest 1080p 3D TV around. I think it might me on Play for a bit cheaper.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=samsung+le40c750&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=2680380815190621015&ei=JU1ITcKaA861hAf23diQBQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CEYQ8wIwAg#ps-sellers

The TV I have. 3D and STUNNING.

I find plus is well worth it anyway but with Cloud storage that would be just awesome. Work, home and parents house PS3 management would be so much easier this way. Granted I'm sure not many people have a use for it like this but it's still a nice way to be able to back up your games.

Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One trailer.

I'm actually pretty excited about this. I love Ratchet & Clank and I love co-op. :smile:

On the PS3 we are talking some huge file sizes. Same games are 100+MB I doubt all games will be compatible.

Alright so they're a bit bigger than my estimate :heh: but I still don't think you should have to pay for it. It's a good idea which could become the norm, but you can't set trends if you hide them behind premium membersips. Even 100MB is nothing compared to what filehosting sites allow you to up and download for free (megaupload etc).

It's a completely unnecessary feature, but it is a nice one to have. Makes sense for it to be for Plus only. I wouldn't be phased if I didn't have Plus but because I do, it's a nice little feature.

Also, very few saves are 100MB<. I don't actually know of any near that size, either.

I want to get Borderlands' DLCs. The thing is: I have the AT version, meaning I can't get it from the German PSN Store.

Will I be able to play the DLC from the UK store? I've read somewhere that I could check that with a certain number or code on the game box and in the store, anyone know anything about this?

I want to get Borderlands' DLCs. The thing is: I have the AT version, meaning I can't get it from the German PSN Store.

Will I be able to play the DLC from the UK store? I've read somewhere that I could check that with a certain number or code on the game box and in the store, anyone know anything about this?

When you go to the store it will have a note on there that says this game requires Borderlands Disc Product Code XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX check it matches.

Not played Lara Croft but Dead Nation is absolutely fantastic, I've been loving it. Great gameplay, story is cool, multiplayer. I'm really enjoying it.

Hmmm, trying to decide between Lara Croft and Dead Nation. Thoughts anyone?

Not played Lara Croft but Dead Nation is absolutely fantastic' date=' I've been loving it. Great gameplay, story is cool, multiplayer. I'm really enjoying it.[/quote']

I've not played Lara Croft either but Dead Nation is a great title - soon to get voice chat patched in which will make multiplayer even better! :bouncy:

From what I've played Guardian of Light is the better game.

Dead Nation seemed like a fairly unexceptional twin-stick shooter set in samey environments with nice lighting, whereas Lara is a fairly unexceptional twin-stick shooter with enjoyable puzzles set in beautiful and varied environments.

Actually I think in two-player sofa co-op it breaches the realms of exceptional. The implementation of forced co-operation under pressure made it my most enjoyed co-op title since Borderlands.