NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

I've been told RE5 doesn't actually use the Eye at all, the aiming is calculated purely using the controller's sensors. Can't say I've tested out that theory myself, though.

Hmm, i will have a play later on then, try it with the eye facing the wrong way or something!

EDIT: Looks like your right, i just given it a try facing the controller the wrong way and behind the ps eye etc and it doesn't use it. You have to press the 'trigger' button first, which brings up the aim set at the centre of the screen and then must monitor the motion as to where you are then pointing.

Still clever in a way though as it works well!

Edited by Mike1988uk
Updated post!

Ok, thoughts on what I've played so far:

Played Super stardust HD in co-op for a few hours earlier. The 3D is spellbinding and it just looks incredible. Probably the coolest instant 'wow' effect.

I may pick up CoD or GT5 tomorrow.

Stardust is amazing in 3D I find that I like to kill myself just to get the explosion effect. xD It's always the 1st thing I do when demonstrating my tv to people who have never seen 3D tv's before.

I have GT5 not tried it in 3D yet but will be doing so.

The death does look awesome.

Lemme know what GT5 is like. I've read that you should calibrate the 3D in the settings otherwise it's crosstalk central.

Well signed up for lovefilm today. Got 30 day trial and £20 amazon voucher once I've paid my first bill...only on the £9.99 one disc and unlimited streaming i think there is a pretty good selection of films for streaming will keep me happy thats for sure.

So I thought when your Playstation Plus subscription lapsed you weren't meant to be able to access your games? It's certainly the case with Mini's but not so regular PSN games...I managed to play Critter Crunch and Sam and Max as well as download Shatter this months free offering...I've been in the services list in my account and it clearly says subscription expires 30/12/10....

So I thought when your Playstation Plus subscription lapsed you weren't meant to be able to access your games? It's certainly the case with Mini's but not so regular PSN games...I managed to play Critter Crunch and Sam and Max as well as download Shatter this months free offering...I've been in the services list in my account and it clearly says subscription expires 30/12/10....

At one point there was some sort of deal where if you subscribed for a certain amount of time, you got a few months free. Perhaps since you're not actually paying, it still shows your subscription as having expired.

Anyone know where i can find a Littlebigplanet 2 collectors edition preorder?

The death does look awesome.

Lemme know what GT5 is like. I've read that you should calibrate the 3D in the settings otherwise it's crosstalk central.

GT5 is crisp. Mainly about the cockpit view. Crosstalk depends on the quality of your tv.

crap this year is properly starting with a bang, no way can afford LBP2, DC Universe and Killzone 3 oh and the Ico/sotc collection

Why are you mad?

Who wouldn't be?! It wrecks trophies completely and makes a legit system (for comparing how you rate in specific games with your friends) completely fucked and unreliable...

Who wouldn't be?! It wrecks trophies completely and makes a legit system (for comparing how you rate in specific games with your friends) completely fucked and unreliable...

What's so important about knowing how good you are compared to your friends.

I try to get Trophies for personal gratification, not to impress my friends.

Some people evidently care about them outside that role. Entire communities — both competitive and collaborative — have grown around the feature, just like Achievements. I imagine they don't take kindly to the devaluation.

Whilst specific to Killzone 3 I thought the following video might be of interest to people as a general Move piece. It's very in-depth:

Guerilla's done some interesting things I haven't seen before with first-person pointer controls, namely in regards to off-screen turning acceleration and the adaptive backtrack bounding box.

What's so important about knowing how good you are compared to your friends.

I try to get Trophies for personal gratification, not to impress my friends.

I don't care personally hell look at my trophies list I've got none of the special ones.... It totally devalues them and makes them worthless...you may do it for personal gratification but you will now live in a world where no one will believe that you did yourself....

Looks like the online component of games are hacked. Had a go on MW2, and about 8 out of the 10 games there were people turning invisible, jumping 100 ft into the air, shooting me from across the map through walls, and all manner of wierd things. By all accounts Black Ops is the same.

So PSN is severely compromised now. There is some claiming on other forums that it is possible to retrieve your credit card details if you have been in a game with a hacker.....

I have not tried any other online games, but I doubt it will be long before this cancer spreads.

Glad I just bought a beefy PC. PSN is fucked and I will never pay for XBL again.

Looks like the online component of games are hacked. Had a go on MW2, and about 8 out of the 10 games there were people turning invisible, jumping 100 ft into the air, shooting me from across the map through walls, and all manner of wierd things. By all accounts Black Ops is the same.

So PSN is severely compromised now. There is some claiming on other forums that it is possible to retrieve your credit card details if you have been in a game with a hacker.....

I have not tried any other online games, but I doubt it will be long before this cancer spreads.

Your joking!!! I was planning on playing mw2 online again soon! :shakehead

Glad I just bought a beefy PC. PSN is fucked and I will never pay for XBL again.

Same here (although I've never had a 360).

It might have been somewhat more expensive than a console, but the fact that you can buy tons of games 6 months after they come out for less than $10 during steam sales makes up for that.

fuck...that sounds very very worrying indeed....

Some people evidently care about them outside that role. Entire communities — both competitive and collaborative — have grown around the feature, just like Achievements. I imagine they don't take kindly to the devaluation.

Whilst specific to Killzone 3 I thought the following video might be of interest to people as a general Move piece. It's very in-depth:

Guerilla's done some interesting things I haven't seen before with first-person pointer controls, namely in regards to off-screen turning acceleration and the adaptive backtrack bounding box.

Seems that they've combated my issues almost completely, especially what they're mentioning at 12.45 in the vid.

Sad news about PSN. Lame.

The hacking sounds pretty bad:

Frustrated by Modern Warfare 2 hacks? Infinity Ward feels your pain. But don't blame the developer. Blame Sony and the PlayStation 3's compromised security.

Infinity Ward's creative strategist Robert Bowling, aka fourzerotwo, took to the official Infinity Ward forum to discuss the PS3's recent troubles.

"Sony has recently acknowledged a breach in security on the PS3 which resulted in games to become exposed to exploits and hacks," Bowling said. "Modern Warfare 2 is no exception to this security exploit and we understand that some of you have experienced problems with stats and other issues associated with this."

Apparently PS3 Modern Warfare 2 players are susceptible to hacks that affect their statistics and, in some cases, delete their progress. One gamer, ktell, described the problem on the Infinity Ward forum.

"This issue is really out of hand. I can't log on without getting deranked, vulgar messages across the status bar on the bottom, etc. etc. Infinity Ward should be policing the lobbies looking for exploiters and banning them. It may be a Sony glitch (although the hacked files are related to MW2's game data), but Infinity Ward can at least patrol their own games.

"I mean seriously - I spent 27 days playing that game, unlocking, ranking up etc. Now all my challenges, perks, guns and kill streaks are gone? And my KD is like 10 million to one now?

"Un-f'ing real. You should at least be able to restore my account to where it was. What's up with that?

"This is horrible, just horrible."

According to Bowling, Infinity Ward is powerless in the matter.

"Games rely on the security of the encryption on the platforms they're played on, therefore; updates to the game through patches will not resolve this problem, unless the security exploit itself is resolved on the platform.

"Regretfully, Call of Duty games are receiving the bulk of the hacker's attention, due to its high player counts and popularity. However, the number of legitimate players severely outweighs the bad apples."

Bowling's advice: only play with friends.

"If you are concerned about playing with players who are hacking, I encourage you to play exclusively with friends by utilizing the party or private match options in Modern Warfare 2 and Call of Duty 4 to avoid such players as much as possible until this issue is resolved by Sony.

"At this time, we do not have the ability to restore or adjust individual stats."

Looking to the future, Bowling promised gamers that Infinity Ward will not rely on platform holders to stop hackers from ruining its future projects.

"Let me assure you, while we are very reliant on Sony updating their firmware and security to address the core problem of this issue, we are looking at every option available to us to help any user affected.

"This only applies to legacy games such as Call of Duty 4 and Modern Warfare 2. In the future we plan to adjust our approach to not rely solely on platform security and reduce the ability for this to happen in our games, as has already been displayed by the work Treyarch has done on Call of Duty: Black Ops to prevent similar measures."

Sounds bad...well bad is an understatement...

But it's all okay because the hackers never intended for any of this to happen! Cunts.

I think it's okay because the whole thing is hilarious.

/Schadenfreude