NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

2mbps is fine. Its above average for UK connections ;)

what really?!!! I now feel so blessed with my 10mbps (you can get up to 50 in my area)

Dont get me started on net connections! 128k currently, 700k on average.

Theres talk of trying to get the village a something or other which will let us get up to 40meg so I live in hope.

what really?!!! I now feel so blessed with my 10mbps (you can get up to 50 in my area)

Thats coz u live in a posh looking area!! lol

Dont get me started on net connections! 128k currently, 700k on average.

Theres talk of trying to get the village a something or other which will let us get up to 40meg so I live in hope.

I feel for u!

So a question for PS3 Owners....

I'm on the cusp of becoming a PS3 owner, in fact it could be as soon as 29th October.

Here's my situation and questions.

I have a colleague at work who's partner works for a warranty company. Well through this warranty company she now has 12 pre-owned PS3's (not slim but original model) without power cables and component cables.

These 12 PS3's were sent to the warranty company by the original owner as there was a reported problem with them when trying to connect the console to Tv via HDMI cable.

My colleague informs me that all these consoles she's in possession of are all actually in fine working order, and that when you choose to run your PS3 through HDMI you need to configure the console in order to do so.

She's selling the console to me for £90 without the cables mentioned, i can purchase these on ebay easily enough for less than £4.

My question to you guys is.... is this bullshit? Another colleague of mine who owns a PS3 (and works in IT) has said that it is indeed a matter of configuring the console to HDMI settings and this will then let the console be output on the TV in HDMI.

When i buy the component cables i'll be looking to get HDMI output, so is it true? does the console need some sort of configuring in order to be capable of HDMI output?

or from what i've said does it sound familiar or like something you've or some one you've known have had to do to their console?

My colleague has said if the console doesn't work then there is no harm exchanging it for one of the other 12 she has, or worse case giving me my money back.

just wanted a bit of an official confirmation from more PS3 owners if this sounds fishy or not?

Thankyou's will be dished out!

I got my console second hand from a friend, but from what i remember, and the few times it has reset itself, there is some of configuration as I think the console naturally outputs the image in non HD, I forget the term is there is one, but it does automatically detect if the console is connected to the tv through an HD cable and asks if you want to select HD output. Hope that helps.

When i buy the component cables i'll be looking to get HDMI output,

You need to buy an HDMI cable to output to HDMI. Component cables are analog and the signal can't easily be converted to HDMI. But both HDMI cables, and the power cord would be easy and cheap to acquire.

Seeing as your friend will give you your money back if they don't work, there's really no reason not to try. Just make sure the PS3's MAC address hasn't been banned from PSN.

You need to buy an HDMI cable to output to HDMI. Component cables are analog and the signal can't easily be converted to HDMI. But both HDMI cables, and the power cord would be easy and cheap to acquire.

Seeing as your friend will give you your money back if they don't work, there's really no reason not to try. Just make sure the PS3's MAC address hasn't been banned from PSN.

Cool,

just reading some stuff that people posted on teh Sony forums,

and a common thing people do is just switch from AV output to HDMI while the console is off. turn it on and expect it to work, but from what other people have said you do actually need to re-set the console by holding the power button down and switch everything to HDMI.

Well yeah as you say for £90, and with 12 possible consoles to get through I'll give it a ago.

Cheers for the help.

When i buy the component cables i'll be looking to get HDMI output, so is it true? does the console need some sort of configuring in order to be capable of HDMI output?

I had a problem where I wanted to connect my PS3 to a TV via HDMI but it was configured through the AV port for Component. If I remember correctly, when you hold the power button it will auto-detect an HDMI output for you.

EDIT: I did remember correctly. Just hold down the power 'button' when you switch it on until it beeps. This will set the configuration to HDMI. http://askabouttech.com/connecting-hdmi-to-ps3/

Edited by Chuck

Make sure you backup now and again incase. Especially as they sound like old second hands.

Make sure you backup now and again incase. Especially as they sound like old second hands.

Sorry to sound silly but... backup? do you mean save to an external harddrive?

Well got my first PS3 game for free yesterday, Killzone 2. shame i cant play it till 29th Oct :blank:

Sorry to sound silly but... backup? do you mean save to an external harddrive?

Well got my first PS3 game for free yesterday, Killzone 2. shame i cant play it till 29th Oct :blank:

yes he does...or at least use a usb memory stick to back up your game saves.

I have tried to add my Visa debit card the my PSN account, but for some reason its not playing ball. Any thoughts?

I have tried to add my Visa debit card the my PSN account, but for some reason its not playing ball. Any thoughts?

Can't be doing it right. I use Visa Debit and it works fine.

I would try and see if you can get the Visa back out of the disc drive first. Pretty sure that technique isn't the most productive method.

WHAT AWESOME GAMES ARE COMING OUT FOR THE PS3 THIS CHRISTMAS?

I'M ONLY REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO WII GAMES THIS CHRISTMAS ODDLY...

I MIGHT PICK UP A PLAY TV BUT APART FROM THAT THERE'S NOT MUCH GOING DOWN?

YOU'RE THE FUCKING MAN DWARF!

I JUST DECIDED TO TRY AGAIN AND GOT IT FIRST TIME.

YOU NEED TO BE MY COACH.

OR LOVER.

BOTH IN FACT.

COACH ME WITH LOVE.

Now I feel spoiled with my 20 Mbps :/ we could also get 50Mbps but that's a bit overkill really.

Now I feel spoiled with my 20 Mbps :/ we could also get 50Mbps but that's a bit overkill really.

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER.