NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

Basically, Home is only good for one thing - stalking female avatars and swearing at male ones. Unfortunately I was complementing this randomer by saying 'Hey there, is your Dad a baker, because you have nice buns.' A Home police dude (who I didn't realise was a genuine admin dude) then told me to stop, but I just called him rude names.

Then I couldn't log into PSN, and read an email from Sony said that I was banned from the network for a month for 'sexual harassment'. I'm tempted to do it all again.

Home has improved so much. I don't go on it anymore but the rate that it has improved has been fairly impressive. They finally cut those fucking loading times and the LBP and Wipeout rooms are fairly cool.

I just wish it didn't look so dead. They should put weather effects in. It just needs some imagination.

In short, when it's out of beta when the PS4 hits, I'm sure it'll be great.

They do need to make the characters have superhero abilities to move around because currently it's just painful to watch their gimpish run, and travelling through menus is just lame.

Once the loading times are gone, I could see it being OK. The cinema thing (well, a few ideas) is a good idea, and if they fully backed it with a big budget, and if Move took off, Sony could have a successful casual console.

Wait, that's not what I want.

I think one of the problems is the tech just isn't developed enough for what it should be (I'm not sure what exactly, network code?). Especially limiting is broadband speeds, too.

E3 really should be streamed live in Home. Now that would be ace.

To be honest, I'd rather they just put more resources into improving the XMB/developing games, and just leave home somewhat how it is. Some more social options, and perhaps support for 16:10 resolutions would be nice (With the XMB, not Home).

I did get addicted to Home for a while, decking my avatar out in suits and trainers (Tennant style). Hell I loved it on there and I used to just loiter playing things cool and chatting to (mainly) women who were probably 13. I'd hang out at various shops and then invite ppl onto my friends list. It was pretty cool when I had time to relax online.

However, voice chat seemed to work whenever it wanted to, the load times got ridiculous due to the DLC I had and less and less people started going on. My little crew meet ups were no more and I used to go on it and think WTF?!

I did genuinely enjoy the social aspect of it and really liked the angle it was coming from. I can also see why people get addicted to online communities too.

However with the status still being BETA it just felt (feels?) empty and pointless. A missed opportunity at every turn.

Where is the content sharing? Personalised content etc...? That looked awesome 2/3 years ago.

It's like Animal Crossing all over again!

Home has improved so much. I don't go on it anymore but the rate that it has improved has been fairly impressive. They finally cut those fucking loading times and the LBP and Wipeout rooms are fairly cool.

I just wish it didn't look so dead. They should put weather effects in. It just needs some imagination.

In short, when it's out of beta when the PS4 hits, I'm sure it'll be great.

I went on it not long ago...and it really hasn't.

The problem with Home is that no matter what they add to it, it still relies on people and thus falls flat on its arse. It's full of perverts and basically... nothing really happening. People stading around, people continously dancing to some sort of background advert or people all cramming into game areas and having to wait to play a game. The games aren't even that good either.

It's more or less a game developer's show off space. When they have an upcoming game and release a zone for it it's nice to see a themed area but it wears off really quickly. It's also really slow to load up areas; the idea of loading up a bogged down area just to view trailers also fails tremendously. When they can make this thing seamless, it might be something. But as it is, it's just terrible.

I went on it not long ago...and it really hasn't.

From when it was first released it really has. It's still crap for the most part but when it first started there was absolutely sod all (LBP and Wipeout rooms are worth checking out if you can be bothered).

I totally agree it needs to be seamless, and have way way better integration to be any good. They should start by not making it so ugly and sorting the animation out. Basically, sort the bloody basics.

Yeah but I guess it's been a case of there having been more games released and so more zones. But the core concept of it is the same.

If anyone has ever tried Second Life, it does a lot of things right that Home doesn't. Not that it's great (in fact, some of it can be pretty worrying), but it's a lot better. Particularly how people can create their own worlds, avatars and objects, and there's a much bigger sense of community.

A while back I went on a Midgar world where people had faithfully reconstructed Midgar, adding some of their own places too. I think if Home went down a similar route, keeping its level of graphics, it could be really something:

750395594_12d2f9c43c.jpg

MidgarChurch.jpg

MidgarPlayground.jpg

Although the nostalgic joy inside of me clearly is longing for this sort of thing.

That Toy Story Home thing is shit. The proportions of the toys are all wrong.

And Woody looks like a human. Its creepy.

The most off-putting thing about Home is the way my avatar, which looks little like me despite my best efforts, minces around grinning like the bloody Terminator.

Basically I echo all previous sentiments: sort out the basics first, there's no point in building things up when the foundations are made out of sand.

I remember what the foreign account problem is. If you try and buy something from the store it will IP block you.

I remember what the foreign account problem is. If you try and buy something from the store it will IP block you.

No you can do it fine. Payment can be tricky without valid address though for some methods. Nowadays most buy psn codes. Thats how i get my japanese stuff.

I've tried to get back in Home a few times because people are always saying yeah its got better spaces than before and these cool casual throwaway games etc...but its rubbish how so much junk has to be downloaded everytime one of the spaces has the tiniest of updates. I invariably get bored of it doing it and log out why can't I just leave it background downloading whilst im say playing a PSN game or something?

At the very very very least Plus should have an option to push these updates on you. Since Home is pretty much one massive advert, though, eveyone should have the option to push these updates.

Also, there should be an animated background that is your room and as you click around the XMB the background should move around the room to various representitive items.

Basically, Sony....no.

Edit:

Retailer lists Resistance 3 for Playstation 3

Edited by Daft

Well that was what I was thinking the next console would do, we'd have a futuristic XMB that would phase out into Home at a button press, so you could flick between the two. Then you could just leave your pad and join friends in a party, or perhaps travel with each other to a space, where you can sign up to special tournaments and then take part in the game. All without load screens, or very few of them.

As for Resistance 3 - give me a screenshot already! That retailer description is just presumptive bullshit, and I know it's going to come out, just prove something is being done on it Insomniac you teasing bunch of geeks. I just hope they've spent enough dev time on it, what with all the pointless R&C updates they do.

Edited by dwarf

OK, I kinda half want a PS3 game. Suggestions pray?

Any specific Genre?

Nah, fairly open to suggestions.

I cannot be bothered to note what games I've owned though.

As long as it's got big guns in then I'll happily endorse your views. Joking har.

Nah, fairly open to suggestions.

I cannot be bothered to note what games I've owned though.

As long as it's got big guns in then I'll happily endorse your views. Joking har.

MAG, Blur or Red Dead Redemption.

Red dead redemption, please. Amazing game and bags of fun online. And some really good dlc coming up for it too.

MAG, Blur or Red Dead Redemption.

Those are the sort of meh games I would consider If I was loaded. Yes I'm saying RD:R is meh, even though I originally thought it looked promising.

The truth is, I can't be assed with a game like that, and what I played of felt a lot like GTA. Not exactly my cup of tea really.