NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

After cookyman, you are about the only other person here that thinks like this...

Hey hey hey, I'll have you know that I love the idea of SOCOM...I'm just not willing to pay money for it.

It's Infamous 2!

It sadly wasn't... :hmm:

Socom looks pretty cool though!

Turned my ps3 on today since being away last week and missing the silly leapyear mix up. I still ended up with the wrong date though, my console was telling me it was the 6th today! (mine is ment to be synced through the internet).

However i redid the settings for the internet clock and it sorted itself!

Yet another great example of Sony covering all the bases...if Blu Ray doesn't end up being the natural successor to DVD and digital downloads become the ultimate 100% way forward then at leas they can also delivery in that way as well.

Would Microsoft ever be able to say the same? Logic dictates Sony Pictures wouldn't be available on the Xbox would they? If they aren't already..

Would Microsoft ever be able to say the same? Logic dictates Sony Pictures wouldn't be available on the Xbox would they? If they aren't already..

Well they could do the same minus Sony Pictures...unless the Sony Pictures division decides to maximise revenue by selling stuff on xbox live as well...

Great news - Hustle Kings needed this - if you haven't got it yet here's a good reason to buy it!

Playstation Blog

Hustle Kings Adding Video Chat, Voice Chat, Game Launching and More

Posted by Michael Pulst // Associate Producer, SCEA

Since the game launched, the Hustle Kings team has been watching with interest how the game has been received and where you guys think it can be made even better. After weighing up a lot of commentary from the community and how we’ve seen the game played online, we’re gearing up to release our first title update for the game. First out of the gate, we’ve added some amazing new features that will greatly enhance your experience with Hustle Kings, as well as some general updates to the game as listed below:

•General improvements to game stability

•In-game Voice Chat

•In-game Video Chat

•Game Launching from PlayStation Home

•More stats for the loading screens

•The sound effect for the chalk has been turned down

•Chalk can now be used by pressing the R3 button as well as shaking your SIXAXIS

•Free Play mode

•Blue chalk only online rooms

•Online: Opponents are now allowed to change view while watching the player at the table

•Online: The player that breaks is now randomly chosen

•A new, “minimal†aim line

•Dampening effect on the pockets, to stop accurate high powered shots from always bouncing out of the pockets

•Small adjustments to the fine tune aiming to make it easier to use

4417183753_7fa179f152.jpg

Soon after this update is out and you’ve had a chance to experience it all, we have more features coming via the PSN Store. First up will be the Time Saver Pack which is aimed at the Hustle Kings player who wants to experience everything the game has to offer, but doesn’t have the time to unlock all the items. This pack unlocks all the cues, avatars, balls, and the unlock packs from the in-game Hustle Kings Store.

If that weren’t enough, we’ve then got not one, but two awesome freebies to give away! Two bizarre and challenging Crazy Tables Packs are heading your way soon, adding a whole new dimension to your game when you want a fun challenge aside from regular pool. To whet your appetite check out these pics of the tables.

I turned my PS3 on yesterday after being offline since November and I had a few friend requests. Does anyone have any idea who ConfusedButler is? Im assuming he's someone from N-E but I don't know who.

I turned my PS3 on yesterday after being offline since November and I had a few friend requests. Does anyone have any idea who ConfusedButler is? Im assuming he's someone from N-E but I don't know who.

No-one i know from my friends list sorry.

What is starting to annoy me more and more (as my HDD is starting to fill up), is the amount of games that still use a mandatory install, preferably around 5 GB.

I understand there are games like MGS4 of Heavy Rain require an install. After all, it's all realtime and pretty big on data. But why oh why are there so many games that force you to give up a whopping amount of space from your HDD? Why do games like Uncharted 1 & 2 (prerendered curscenes, sure) and Killzone 2 (realtime, baby) not require an install, but something like Lost Planet, RE5, DMC5, Yakuza 3, Haze, Alone in the Dark, Bioshock 1 & 2, Brothers in Arms all take multiple GB's?

The mandatory ones are the worst. And even then, why do you have to install Tekken 6 if you don't want your loading screens to take longer then your actual fights? Soul Calibur 4, without install (though there is an option to do so), loads way faster then Tekken 6 with install. The mind boggles.

I understand that there is a lot of data to be processed, and Blu-Ray isn't the fastest medium on earth, and you can always install a larger HDD or delete other game data, but the mayority of my 160GB HDD is simply filled with mandatory installs. Take all aforementioned games, and that's a total of 50GB worth of mandatory installs alone.

I'm now at the phase where I have to delete Game Data of games I'm not expecting to play the coming time, but I know that when I do, I'm once again greeted with an install that lasts for 20 minutes. Not tragic, just... annoying.

Anyway, I know it's all for the best.

Edited by Strange Cookie

The main thing that annoys me about installs is it takes away that "OMG NEW GAME" *RIP OUT OF CELLOPHANE, PUT IN, WATCH OPENING CINEMATIC* moment that I still get giddy-like-a-child for.

But the thing that surprises me most about my PS3 so far is not general game installs as described above, but the patches and updates.

Why is that the Xbox pops up as so:

"your game needs an update! 54321... update complete! continue..."

but a similar update for the PS3 can be more like this:

"downloading update..... (10 mins later) installing update... (another 10 mins later) continue..."

Why is that the Xbox pops up as so:

"your game needs an update! 54321... update complete! continue..."

but a similar update for the PS3 can be more like this:

"downloading update..... (10 mins later) installing update... (another 10 mins later) continue..."

Title updates on 360 are capped at 4MB. The smallest update to a PS3 game I've ever seen is probably 11MB.

I don't know the technical reason behind the disparity, although I have heard that Microsoft use a patented patching system. It probably largely comes down to effort on the developer's part, though; on 360 they have to minimise the file size of updates otherwise they won't make it through certification.

To be honest I've spent at least twice as long installing games on my 360 as opposed to the PS3. Not that I begrudge the fact, obviously I do it by choice, I just enjoy the irony.

The main thing that annoys me about installs is it takes away that "OMG NEW GAME" *RIP OUT OF CELLOPHANE, PUT IN, WATCH OPENING CINEMATIC* moment that I still get giddy-like-a-child for.

If you were that excited for a game, wouldn't you already know about any mandatory installs from following all the news for it?

Sony's GDC conference is on tomorrow, I hope the Store update has the videos ready.

urgh that'll be not watching it.

Don't know if this has been posted:

500x_home.jpg

Taking a cue from the popular PlayStation 3 cross media bar, PlayStation Home 1.35 goes live tomorrow, with an all-new navigation interface that makes getting around easier than ever.

The changes in PlayStation Home version 1.35 focus on speed and ease-of-use, making the experience of logging in to Sony's virtual world as easy as making your avatar do the Running Man.

It all starts when you launch the service. Instead of having to click through message screens, you'll be transported directly to a new intuitive navigation interface, which functions much like the PS3's XMB. There you'll have access to categories that include Favorites, which is self-explanatory; Personal Spaces; Friends, which allows you to quickly find your friends in Home; Explore, which lets you browse everything; and Recommend, where Sony will be pushing the new spaces they'd like you to check out.

It looks like a big improvement over the current interface, being much more organized and a little more attractive to boot.

PlayStation Home 1.35 will be live tomorrow, after a brief period of downtime while Sony works its upgrade magic.

http://kotaku.com/5490201/a-new-way-to-navigate-playstation-home

Fuck happened to my post? Anyway..

Why won't you watch it flameboy?

Might try this Home thing for the first time tomorrow..

Fuck happened to my post? Anyway..

Why won't you watch it flameboy?

Might try this Home thing for the first time tomorrow..

too late for me lol...Busy days teaching at work tomorrow need to be form lol!

too late for me lol...Busy days teaching at work tomorrow need to be form lol!

Ah. I don't have work until 9am tomorrow (lie-in, usually start at 7am) so I'll watch it after Lethal Weapon on TV. Depends how long it goes on for, I might not watch all of it. Sony must have the HD videos on the Store to download sharpish!

Ah. I don't have work until 9am tomorrow (lie-in, usually start at 7am) so I'll watch it after Lethal Weapon on TV. Depends how long it goes on for, I might not watch all of it. Sony must have the HD videos on the Store to download sharpish!

They are usually good at that kinda thing tbh, also may make it rolling on the screens in the event space on home.

hmmm quite a catchy name...if its to appeal to the casual its better than Arc or Gem the other two names that have been banded around.