NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

I er...

Yeah, well, getting a game to the same stage as GTA4 (technically speaking), creating the same amount of buzz and being able to essentially guarantee a good game costs a lot more than 50 million.

And I won't bother thinking of a reply for Nicktendo's three highly intelligent and well-thought out points.

Edited by Wesley

I'm not whether I'll pick them up I was really in GTA4 more so than I have been any of the others and if they'd come out whilst it was still current I may have been more inclined to get them, what sort of price we looking at? So much other stuff out though.

I think the episode disc I got in store was for £25.

I think I saw some places doing it for £20 at one point though.

Although I've only played through the Lost & Damned, if you liked GTA4, I would definitely recommend them.

Hello, I am looking to pick a PS3 up soonish as my 360 has just died for the 3rd time and its out of warranty now. I want it more for Blu ray and being a media server really. Although I would like a bit of uncharted 2. Anybody seen some good deals for a PS3 and Uncharted 2.

Also I assume the only different between the slim models is the size of the hard drive. E.G the only different the 120Gb and 250Gb models have is hard drive not size and not something retarded like only one does HDMI?

Hello, I am looking to pick a PS3 up soonish as my 360 has just died for the 3rd time and its out of warranty now. I want it more for Blu ray and being a media server really. Although I would like a bit of uncharted 2. Anybody seen some good deals for a PS3 and Uncharted 2.

Also I assume the only different between the slim models is the size of the hard drive. E.G the only different the 120Gb and 250Gb models have is hard drive not size and not something retarded like only one does HDMI?

http://pure-games.co.uk/products/Sony_PlayStation_3_PS3_Slim_Console_250_GB_Uncharted_Drakes_Fortune_2_Among_Thieves-1198-123.html

it's 250 GB hard drive too.

Ok so got Infamous finally. Should I play as good or bad? I usually always play as good as I find myself unable to do horrible things lol!

There's two ways of looking at it:

If you think you might want to platinum it, play as good first on normal in order to unlock the hard mode, which is easier as an evil person for various reasons.

I was following this method when I realised a quarter of the way into my good playthrough, I wasn't going to bother going to play through it again because I wasn't really enjoying it, plus it was too late to revert back and be an evil Cole.

I found that the more enjoyable sections of my Mr. Nice Guy run were when I could just unleash all of my powers on bosses without being worried of damaging civilians. When you're evil you can just blow shit up all the time, anywhere, which is just more fun and liberating. When playing good, you barely use the atomic drop power because of collateral damage. You won't want to upgrade it because it just increases the radius in which innocent people die - all of this makes you become evil and might end up making you an unpowerful neutral character if you aren't careful enough in your attacks.

There's two ways of looking at it:

If you think you might want to platinum it, play as good first on normal in order to unlock the hard mode, which is easier as an evil person for various reasons.

I was following this method when I realised a quarter of the way into my good playthrough, I wasn't going to bother going to play through it again because I wasn't really enjoying it, plus it was too late to revert back and be an evil Cole.

I found that the more enjoyable sections of my Mr. Nice Guy run were when I could just unleash all of my powers on bosses without being worried of damaging civilians. When you're evil you can just blow shit up all the time, anywhere, which is just more fun and liberating. When playing good, you barely use the atomic drop power because of collateral damage. You won't want to upgrade it because it just increases the radius in which innocent people die - all of this makes you become evil and might end up making you an unpowerful neutral character if you aren't careful enough in your attacks.

hmmm dunno then doubt will have time for second playthrough anytime soon! so might just go for evil if its more fun.

Go as an evil bastard then, and whenever you feel an ounce of guilt, just think of me whispering in your ear to stop being such a pussy over a videogame.

If it's 3 red lights, I believe Microsoft have said they will repair it free regardless of how old it is.

...I think they just extended the warranty to 3 years.

I think they'd shout louder than they do if it was a lifetime warranty...

SL/EVO Developers on WipeOut Fourms

They've essentially got rid of most of the senior programmers, producers, and other assorted members of the development team there.

AFAIK the lead on WipEout HD, Matt Brooks is still there, but they aren't going to be making any games for the foreseeable future.

Development was destined to be moved to a new, purpose built premises that would house the folk from Evo and Studio Liverpool anyway, so with that on the road map it's pretty much the end of development at Studio Liverpool for ever.

Colin Berry, WipEout Creator: An utterly **** day for all concerned. I only left 6 weeks ago and there was no inkling this might happen, so speaking to those concerned in the last 24 hours as events unfolded has been gutting.

I've no idea if any more Wipeouts will be made and to be fair, I dont care: Today a lot of GREAT and talented people lost their jobs, and all of them had contributed to Wipeout at some point in the past 15 years, busting a gut and always trying to do the best they could, countless hours, late nights, aiming for quality. Not to mention the quality F1 titles produced over the years. I do not know how many have been kept on, it seemed to be around 50% either way but I dont know for sure, numbers dont matter all I know is the the heart of the studio has pretty much been ripped out.

I am happy for those who got to keep their jobs but I am gutted for all my friends who have worked hard only to be kicked in the teeth.

Speaking to several of them this afternoon they were numb and devastated having just been told; it absolutely sucks. Sony has shot itself in the foot by doing this to its BEST european studio, and I just dont know why.

I feel privileged to have worked with so many of these talented folk and to have enjoyed some awesome times with them in and out of the office, and I sincerely hope they all find work soon, because they deserve better.

Edited by Dante

If it's 3 red lights, I believe Microsoft have said they will repair it free regardless of how old it is.

It doesnt have any lights, it just locks up.

I er...

Yeah, well, getting a game to the same stage as GTA4 (technically speaking), creating the same amount of buzz and being able to essentially guarantee a good game costs a lot more than 50 million.

And I won't bother thinking of a reply for Nicktendo's three highly intelligent and well-thought out points.

$50 million should cover you for a one platform game. Gears of War only cost $7 million, Gears of War II $12 millioon and the two Uncharted games were like $18 million...

$50 million should cover you for a one platform game. Gears of War only cost $7 million, Gears of War II $12 millioon and the two Uncharted games were like $18 million...

Yeah...

Well, again, neither of those titles sold like GTA4 did (and thus what they expected from the DLC).

And you seem to be forgetting the part I said about the technology that the game was based upon.

Rockstar spent a lot on the underlying technology, further developing a lot of it and creating a lot of new in-house tools.

Also, I'm not surprised that it didn't take a lot of money for the GoW developer to create a game based heavily on already finely tuned technology that they've created and used for multiple games before hand.

But if it makes you feel better I'll join in:

HAHA""! MICRO$OFT GOT SCREWED! LOL

Id say that 50 million did exactly what MS wanted which was showing the giant PS2 userbase that their biggest franchise is a priority on the 360.

Id say that 50 million did exactly what MS wanted which was showing the giant PS2 userbase that their biggest franchise is a priority on the 360.

What Microsoft did is bought up creativity.

It pisses me off no end that Microsoft design god awful consoles which break, charge ridiculous amounts for online gaming and DLC, accessories which should have been included (optical out, wireless functionality and charge cables for the pad) so they can extract even more money from the hapless gamer.

They go around throwing money at games instead of making original good ones and then release them bug-ridden and half complete (Fable 2 anyone?). Forcing me to buy their stupid machine so I can play 'exclusives' that used to appear on other consoles (RARE games / GTA DLC) annoys me. Luckily, for me, most of the studios that they collaborate with have made games that are of no interest such as GoW, Halo and ironically the new games from Rare.

Their whole business philosophy towards the games industry is this snooty, unpopular, rich-kid 'me too' attitude where they chuck stupid amounts of money at everything just to attract some attention is more than irritating. And now they're trying to jump on the Nintendo bandwagon with their family-friendly game series which so far has just flopped - Yet in the background you can hear them cry "don't worry, we're still hardcore!"

Laughable.

It pisses me off no end that Microsoft design god awful consoles which break, charge ridiculous amounts for online gaming and DLC, accessories which should have been included (optical out, wireless functionality and charge cables for the pad) so they can extract even more money from the hapless gamer.

Just about everyone is doing the whole DLC thing now and its really starting to annoy me TBH.

At one time you didn't mind DLC because it would come out a while after the game was finished and it gave you a good reason to go back to it but now DLC is being announced ( both single and multiplayer ) before the game is even finished. It begs the question how much is kept back from the game so they can scam more cash out of us.

Assasins Creed 2 is a great example, I mean 2 of the games chapters were missing from the single player and now they release them as DLC. These aren't end chapters either but ones that were in the middle of the game!

A while back Pachter was talking on a Bonus Round how we would end up paying more for our games this generation, not because of the retail price but because of the DLC issue. How right he was.

A while back Pachter was talking on a Bonus Round how we would end up paying more for our games this generation, not because of the retail price but because of the DLC issue. How right he was.

Pitty he's wrong about almost everything else.

What about the preoder bonuses that is happening over US and might start soon over here.

Example: Dragon Age

Dragon-Age-Origins-Preorder-Contents-500x229.jpg

Assasins Creed 2 is a great example, I mean 2 of the games chapters were missing from the single player and now they release them as DLC. These aren't end chapters either but ones that were in the middle of the game!

The reason for that is because US company Gamespot had the rights for the chapters etc as a pre-oder bonus.

Edited by Dante

I don't even go into a thread if Dante is the last poster anymore, not that some of his stuff isn't useful. Its just mostly crap like the table above.

I don't know, I guess I get all my news from Destructoid or Kotaku. I just come here for the banter and the occasional online gaming session.