NEurope
Dante

Call of Duty: World at War

I can actually see CoD branching into two games.

CoD WWII, created every 2 years by Treyarch and

CoD: Modern Warfare, created every 2 years by Infinity Ward.

They will continue the numbering... but please Activision i'd rather wait every 2 years between a CoD than having to put up with Treyarch bull shit every intermittent year.

Guest cameos from Fry, Bender and leela :)

You get to play as a Private under the command of Earth's greatest commander, Zap Brannigan in such classic campaigns as the utter bombardment of Eden 7 and the mighty, blood soaked conquest of the Ghandi sytem.

I demand this game now.

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/05/09/new-setting-for-call-of-duty-5-bond-powered-by-call-of-duty-4/

After a recent earnings call, Activision outlined plans to release a new entry into the Call of Duty series by the end of its 2009 fiscal year, which ends March 31, 2009. "We'll launch on all four platforms we've participated on in fiscal [year] 2008," Activision Publishing CEO Mike Griffith said, refering to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare's debut on the Xbox 360, PS3, PC and Nintendo DS; a PS2 and Wii version are also in the works.

Griffith also revealed that Call of Duty 5 will see the franchise move into a new "military theater." Long-standing suspicion has been that Call of Duty 3 developer Treyarch would return the franchise to its World War II roots but Griffith's comments seem to debunk that setting rumor. Griffith did not mention whether Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare developer Infinity Ward or rumored Treyarch would take the reins as the Call of Duty 5 developer.

On the subject of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Griffith revealed the James Bond licensed title that is currently in development by Treyarch will be powered by the CoD4 engine and release around the time of the latest Bond film, Quantum of Solace, this fall.

The only question to answer now is which war could Call of Duty 5 be based on. The answer? Civil. Muskets = Win.

that'd be shit.

they could do the baltic or some cold war flashpont pretty well, methinks.

that'd be shit.

they could do the baltic or some cold war flashpont pretty well, methinks.

Balkans, surely?

I'm still putting my money on WWII, Pacific. I'd prefer Burma, but it wont sell if there are no Yanks...

Balkans, surely?

I'm still putting my money on WWII, Pacific. I'd prefer Burma, but it wont sell if there are no Yanks...

shit. yes.

been playing too much diplomacy.....

Could be done. Battlefield did it pretty well, as did Aliens (pulse rifles= M16 basis etc)

It'd just end up as 'zomg. teh Chinese' though. Or Russians again.

Still, i think the purely fictional is a bit out of bounds for CoD. I know 4 was a fictional plot but the settings were all more or less realistic (except communist religious arabs of doom. lol.)

Vietnam could work quite well?

Id love a good Vietnam game made by Infinty Ward it would be a real challenge for them though as it may have to be bit more non linear maybe not though.

I dont think theres been a great single player Vietnam game yet has there? I had Vietcong the game lol. I asked my Dad to get me Vice City and he came back with that. I just pretended he got the right game haha. I had some fun but it wasnt exactly AAA. Theres so much potential in that era to movies, tv and music have produced super material based on Vietnam its Videogames turn surely.

God after that long post I bet its gonna be a Korean War game now, actually that could be cool!

Falklands! Neeeeooooow! Ratatatatatatatat...

haha I thought that but it didnt exactly last long did it? And the Falklands is pretty uinspired scenery wise is it not? Id love to play that with the Empire Strikes back music in the background though lol.

It's all rather up in the air about this game at the moment. Whether it's going to be developed by Treyarch, whether it's going to be set in WWII or not. Activision have said that it's going to be set in a different "military theater" than CoD4. Whether that means it's going to be set in a different "military theater" to CoD3, CoD2 and CoD and all it's other Big Red One thingymajiggles remains to be seen. However, I now realise that I really like saying "military theater".

"Military theater".

"Military theatre? No, military theater."

The subs issue of this month’s gamesTM has revealed a wealth of information on the now-announced Call of Duty: World at War, the final name for Treyarch’s Call of Duty 5.

From VG247 reader evilashchris, reading from the UK mag: “Right, apparently it’s going to be grittier, as gritty as ANY game out there to quote. The enemy will be scarier and use new tactics.

“There will be co-op for the first time in a Call of Duty. Also there will be vehicles and squad-based elements to the multiplayer. Formats: PC, PS3, 360 and Wii. The Wii version is being worked on by a separate team within Treyarch. [The mag] reckons it’ll be a much closer comparison between the next-gen and Wii versions than any other Wii game on the market.

“Jeez, they have the CoD4 engine running on the Wii apparently. They are using [the CoD4 engine] for all the next-gen ones too. The Wii Zapper will be supported.

“Also, this is how gritty it is: ‘The opening scene of the first level we are shown is a Japanese commander stubbing a cigarette out in the eye of a prisoner before slitting his throat - the blood splatters and dribbles down the side of the tent you are being held in. He turns towards you to deal out the same treatment but help arrives just in time. Cue a daring level-long escape.’”

As is now known, the game will be set in the Pacific theatre of World War II.

www.videogaming247.com

Ooh. Co-op could save the game. As long as it's split-screen co-op.

Oh, goody! Treyarch have taken all the rather stand-out things about Call of Duty, and fucked them up!

CoD3 was ok, just because it was better that any other Wii shooter. This is going to be awful.

*crosses CoD5 off possible 'games to get list'*

WWII? No thanks.

The first details of Call of Duty: World at War have been revealed, plucked straight from the pages of Xbox 360: The Official Magazine (#35), which is dropping through subscribers' letterboxes right now.

The fifth game in the CoD series, which is being developed by CoD3 studio Treyarch, ditches the number subtitle and expectedly returns to WWII - but the developer stresses it's not the same theatre we've seen a million times before.

It all takes place in the Pacific theatre (and partially in Russia's advance into Berlin) says OXM, which all in all was a much grittier and darker conflict that the one in muddy Belgium fields.

Treyarch has had a full extra year over CoD3's development to make World at War - and it's using the excellent CoD4 engine, which is plenty of reason to be excited.

"This is a scarier Call of Duty than we've ever seen," Treyarch head Mark Lamir says in the mag.

To help simulate the Japanese's different style of warfare, Treyarch has completely re-tinkered the enemy AI in World at War. Instead of taking cover and flanking in traditional European battle strategies, the Japanese hide in trees, sneak through the overgrowth and scrabble, katana in hand in violent suicide attacks.

"We figured out early that the Imperial Japanese fought in a different way that was full of suspense," creative lead Rich Farrelly tells OXM. "From that point we started to skew the game in that direction."

Excitingly, for the first time in Call of Duty's campaign 4-player co-op is supported over Xbox Live - and it supports meta game perks as in CoD4's excellent online mode.

You'll find loads more details and first screens in issue 35, in the shops Friday June 13 (but in subscribers' hands now).

The subs issue of this month’s gamesTM has revealed a wealth of information on the now-announced Call of Duty: World at War, the final name for Treyarch’s Call of Duty 5.

From VG247 reader evilashchris, reading from the UK mag: “Right, apparently it’s going to be grittier, as gritty as ANY game out there to quote. The enemy will be scarier and use new tactics.

“There will be co-op for the first time in a Call of Duty. Also there will be vehicles and squad-based elements to the multiplayer. Formats: PC, PS3, 360 and Wii. The Wii version is being worked on by a separate team within Treyarch. [The mag] reckons it’ll be a much closer comparison between the next-gen and Wii versions than any other Wii game on the market.

“Jeez, they have the CoD4 engine running on the Wii apparently. They are using [the CoD4 engine] for all the next-gen ones too. The Wii Zapper will be supported.

“Also, this is how gritty it is: ‘The opening scene of the first level we are shown is a Japanese commander stubbing a cigarette out in the eye of a prisoner before slitting his throat - the blood splatters and dribbles down the side of the tent you are being held in. He turns towards you to deal out the same treatment but help arrives just in time. Cue a daring level-long escape.’”

As is now known, the game will be set in the Pacific theatre of World War II.

Ooh. Co-op could save the game. As long as it's split-screen co-op.

Excitingly, for the first time in Call of Duty's campaign 4-player co-op is supported over Xbox Live

Well, that'll be nice and shite.

I hope Infinity Ward hurry up and regain exclusive rights to use the name, Treyarch aren't doing it any favours.

If you want me, I'll be Pipyat. In a Gillie suit. With a Kalashnikov.

Activision, ploughing their licenses into the ground!

First Tony Hawk, next Guitar Hero and now Call of Duty. Fantastic. Whats left?

*crosses CoD5 off possible 'games to get list'*

WWII? No thanks.

same but different here;

* crosses off CoD5 and decides perhaps should finally get round to getting CoD4*

As long as they pull this off well I'm not to mithered. I like old wars and stuff.

If they're gonna be hiding in trees and I'm gonna have to look up whilst I'm trawling through a jungle, that'd be pretty cool.

WWII? No thanks.

Didn't they say it was WWII in the very first announcement?

Yeah.

This might, MIGHT turn out alright. We shall see.

Poor mag scans:

001.jpg

010.JPG

009.jpg

007.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

003.jpg

It's already boring looking at these screens, which are just reminiscent of so many other WW2/Call of Duty games!

Having said that, I'm quite interested in the Wii version.