NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Falcon_BlizZACK

Tomb Raider Wii

I saw this in the shops today, anyone bought it yet? The trailers looked fairly decent, almost Endless Ocean-like. So what do you guys think of it?

I have yet to ascertain the quality of this game, but I'm interested in it :/

I think the game is a bit too old to merit a purchase. There are just better games out there in my opinion. This should have come out when Rival swords popped its head up. At least possibly back then people would have cared.

According to IGN's review the game has some framerate issues in the larger areas and they don't like the motion controls for the grappling hook, but inspite of that (and the lower score) they say it's as good as the other versions.

I'm tempted, but I've already got the PC version. I might pick this version up when it's cheap though, as I'd like to give it a go with the Wii's controls.

might give it a try after my wallet recovers from fifa 08, Prime3, Galaxy & Umbrella Chronicles.

I was going to pick it up but then I read the review over at Eurogamer and decided to play the waiting game and see if anyone on here snaps it up and likes it.

According to IGN the 360 version looks just like the PS2 version but displayed in a HD resolution. Even stranger is that, also according to IGN, it has framerate issues too. :confused:

might give it a try after my wallet recovers from fifa 08, Prime3, Galaxy & Umbrella Chronicles.

Ditto. I like the look of this, so it's one for my birthday in January methinks.

The 360 version of 'Anniversary' is beautiful - I didn't notice any framerate issues at all although it might be different when played on an HDTV.

As for the Wii version I've got it but its an Xmas pressie so can't play it just yet. The Eurogamer review did seem a bit harsh but I'll wait and see for myself. Plus even though I've already completed it on PS2 & 360 I can't wait to do it again with the Wii controls and new content!:)

If you have already one version of the game, why spend money on another?

Just because is from Nintendo Wii? :\

I'm not spending more money - its an Xmas present!

To be honest I have this condition that makes me play the same game on different formats just to see what the differences are - curiosity gets the better of me. Plus the only one I actually bought myself was the 360 version. Its not that unusual, I know loads of people who do this too and you can spend your own money how you want!

havent played a tomb raider since tomb raider 2 on the pc. Think i may have to pick this one up

Isn't this the game you get when you subscribe to ONM? Might be worth a look...

They say that you will get that game but if they dont have any left they send you something like Mercury Revolution.

I was interested in that offer from ONM, but went online and there is no such offer. I don't want to buy the magazine before subscribing.

I remember when i subscribed last time I got Pikmin 2, which i still have. it's great

OK, sorry to bump this up, but has anyone here bought this game? I've got a HMV voucher and I really fancy giving this a go, since I used to love the original on my Saturn.

I'm not one of those gamers who find the Wii controls abhorrent. I usually find they add something special to a game. Have they added that here? The reviews I'm reading are mixed, but I'm finding that when following people's opinions on forums they are generally positive. The only people I haven't heard anything from are those of you here. Hence the bump.

So if you got this, what do you think?

Hm, that's actually what i want to know. Anyone bought this game? Im fairly interested. So far, most games that had reviewers bashing the controls are over exaggerated. They may not be perfect, but they're far from broken or unplayable to me (Red Steel controls comes to mind, which are quite good, just not great).

What bothers me about TR:Wii though, is that it goes for full price. Even TR:Legend Cube was in the 45 euro range. This one goes for 60. No way im gonna spend my money on it then. I might as well just pick up TR:Legend on Cube I saw for 15 and wait for this one to come down in price next year.

Hm, that's actually what i want to know. Anyone bought this game? Im fairly interested. So far, most games that had reviewers bashing the controls are over exaggerated. They may not be perfect, but they're far from broken or unplayable to me (Red Steel controls comes to mind, which are quite good, just not great).

What bothers me about TR:Wii though, is that it goes for full price. Even TR:Legend Cube was in the 45 euro range. This one goes for 60. No way im gonna spend my money on it then. I might as well just pick up TR:Legend on Cube I saw for 15 and wait for this one to come down in price next year.

Yeah I agree. It could do with being a bit cheaper here too.

I've read some of the reviews myself too, but if you actually read opinions on forums around the place you'll see many who really like it. In particular, I read a thread over on the Edge forums where someone was full of praise for it. I've seen a few similar all over the place.

Like you, even though I have a voucher to spend, I may hang on till it gets a bit cheaper. If I do decide to get it though, I'll pop on here and let you know what I reckon, for what it's worth.

Fear not people - I got TRA on Wii for Christmas and I LOVE it!

Having played the PS2, 360 & Wii versions I definately think that the Wii is the best one. Sure it doesn't have lovely HD visuals but been playing it at 480p and I think it looks and runs a lot better on Wii than it did on PS2. The only gripes I have with it are the camera controls are a bit of a pain. You hold down C and move the Wii Remote around to tilt the camera and tapping C handily places the camera directly behind Lara. The new Wii flash light is brilliant to use and does not feel gimmicky and I love the other new features such as taking rubbings and hacking through walls to uncover secrets. The game does have a few framerate stutters at some points but nothing too bad and the nunchuk controls are sometimes slightly unresponsive. This was what I was most concerned about - in general the nunchuk controls are excellent (incase you didn't know the nunchuk controls Lara's grapple hook which you use by flicking the nunchuk downwards). The only trouble is that when you need to hook your grapple onto something and pull it towards you you have to flick the nunchuk up to pull it and sometimes it doesn't quite work but again I personally don't think its anything too bad.

That's what I think of the game - I'm a TR fan so I am a bit biased but I really do think its worth a go. I do have another sealed copy of the game (I got it twice for Xmas) so if anyone is interested we can work out a price???: peace:

Thanks for your detailed response Columnar. I'm almost certain to be getting this soon. Just as soon as HMV get it back in stock, in fact.

I'm a huge fan of the original Tomb Raider as well. Both me and the missus loved it, though I never took to the sequels. They seemed to take away a lot of the atmosphere that the first had in bucketloads. This Wii version looks excellent to me, even though I expect the 360/PC etc to sport better resolutions. That said, I have been reading about frame rate issues with regards the 360 version too.

I still think it could be a bit cheaper though. £25-30 would be fairer imho, especially in comparison to the other consoles' versions. We always seem to pay more for Nintendo ports....bah!

its excellent, im only holding off playing it till i complete uncharted on ps3, but i playe dteh 1st level, it was very good indeed :)

Sign in to follow this