NEurope
Happenstance

Dreamcast 2 in the works?

SEGA Corporation has filed a new application to protect the trademark Dreamcast - sparking rumours that the Japanese publisher is planning on making a shock return to the console manufacturing market with the Dreamcast 2.

The application, sent to the United States Patent and Trademark Office's Trademark Applications and Registrations Retrieval (TARR) dated August 13 2007, relates to:

"Home video game machines; player-operated electronic controllers for electronic video game machines; video game interactive controller, namely, hand held pads, and floor pads or mats; joysticks for video games; computer cursor control devices, namely, computer mouse; flash memory cards; video game software, computer game programs".

Web chatter suggests the proof is in the detail of the application - the original Dreamcast didn't have a floor mat accessory and the Dreamcast's Visual Memory Unit (VMU) is far from the flash memory cards we know and use today - although we'd say that the VMU is pretty similar to the modern day memory cards.

The filing could, of course, simply be a further effort from SEGA to protect the Dreamcast name. According to the USPTO the original Dreamcast trademark is still active. However, the two descriptions are very different. You can see the original trademark description here.

We've contacted SEGA UK for comment. We'll update you on this potentially megaton story as we get it.

Taken From VideoGamer.com

Seems so very unlikely to me. They've not even been that amazing with games since they left the console market. Not like Sonic's really the mascot he used to be, is it? If they were forced to drop out of the console market, it's not like they can have been successful enough since then to risk going back in.

I wish.

Some of my favourite games ever started on the Dreamcast :(

I dont particularly believe it myself but I would love it if they returned. Sega was always my favourite company and I dont think anything will ever replace the Megadrive as my favourite console.

This sounds so doubtful, Sega failed with the first Dreamcast what makes them stand a chance with a new one, plus Sega don't have the money from mediocre sales of games.

There's been rumours about this for ages. Won't happen, not with their quality of games so far.

Who would want it now anyway? Its more likely they're gonna use this brand in ports of Dreamcast games.

I think Kotaku discusses this best:

While most of the devices listed could easily relate to the original Dreamcast, flash memory cards and floor mats were never a part of the company's machine. Could Sega be quietly getting ready to re-enter the console business?

As much as I wish this rumor were true, I don't believe it. More likely the company is updating the original trademark to cover additional items in order to make sure some enterprising company doesn't come out with a Dreamcast brand memory card or dance pad. Either that, or Sega is planning on getting into the peripheral market themselves - Dreamcast is still a pretty strong brand among fans after all. I just cannot see them jumping back in to the already crowded console market.

For one thing, Sega's software offerings haven't been all that stellar lately, in case you hadn't noticed. Sonic sells well to children, but most gamers can agree that their flagship franchise has been in a downward spiral since Sonic Adventure, and with Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games they've managed to release the worst Mario game ever. They couldn't make a new console work on strength of software alone.

That leaves strength of hardware, and while the Dreamcast was an amazing little machine, I just can't imagine Sega pulling together the cash to manufacture something that could compete with the popularity of the Wii or the power of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Besides, many of us have already gotten our current gen machine picked, and with multi platform third party titles becoming the norm, we're right back at selling a hardware platform on first party titles, which again - not happening.

I'd love to be wrong here, really. I would really love to see Sega give hardware another go, and there will always be room in my heart and my entertainment center for my Dreamcast, but no.

Hmmm....Sure all fingers are pointing to impossibility. But what if they do a Nintendo Wii, but with better technical capabilities? Riding on that fad seems some what plausible.

From Videogamer.com? Didn't they also report the scaremongering yesterday when it was believed that Brawl was delayed till next autumn in Europe?

It seems very unlikely they have gone from developer/publisher to behemoth huge publisher and the acquiring of things such as Football Manager and film licenses clearly show this shift in focus. It would seem crazy to back track now...

I would love to see another Sega machine. They have some of my favorite games ever from Alex the kidd in Miracle World on the MasterSystem to Shenmue on the Dreamcast.

The dreamcast is possibly my favorite machine ever, i was 15 when i bought it, i worked at the goosefair in nottingham while it was there just to earn the cash for it.

Sonic Adventure with the Chao's in the VMU, Phantasy Star Online, Shenmue 1 & 2, Crazy Taxi, Powerstone and MSR were some of the most fun games ever released.

I loved the controller aswell, so yeah i hope Sega make a comeback one day ^^

Nah it wont happen. This always happens. Something Shenmue related or Dreamcast related always pops up from time to time and it always turns out to be nothing.

Kotaku.com: "Yesterday we reported on rumors swirling about regarding the possibility of a Dreamcast 2 somewhere in Sega's future, sparked by a recently updated trademark application. From there it really just became a race to see who Sega would respond to first with a statement. Sega of America PR Director Charlie Scibetta spoke to GameDaily for the win!

"We're very happy being a platform agnostic company and have moved up the ranks the past three years from #11, to #9, and now stand at #6 in terms of our market share by units among third-party publishers. We like our current strategy and have no plans to change in the middle of this outstanding growth."

Scibetta said he would look into why the trademark was being updated and then went back to ordering giant "We're Number 6!" foam hands for his team. Sorry Dreamcast fans. I share your disappointment. You know what we need? A Dreamcast cake."

Hugely unlikely, there's no way they could muscle in on the territory now owned by Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony, they don't have that kind of cash