NEurope
gaggle64

The World Ends With You - Squeenix Fashion-Dance-JRPG!

This game seems vast, is it?

Chrono Trigger vast or more like Pokémon vast?

I rocked through the main story, taking it pretty slow I felt, in less than 25 hours. Its the stuff you can go back and do that really lengthens the game. You can fill out your monster records (bestiary sort of idea) which is sorta like Pokémon but there's so much other stuff too- like search out records that will help you understand the story better.

Super content!

If anything in this game is like Pokémon it's the pins.

There are tons to collect, they get stronger by levelling up and they even evolve. A few also have branching evolution depending on what type of exp they get.

And mastering all of them takes ages!

I think I'm on the final day now (after about 20 hours of play time) but I've been struggling to keep the motivation up throughout the last week :hmm:

I kinda feel that I've had my fun with it and I just need to grind it out to the finish.. it's a shame, though, as I had really enjoyed the first 15 hours or so :smile:

I'm fasionably late to the Square-Enix party, but I'm rather blown away. It's way better than I expected! Fun, original, deep and rather gritty. Nice! :D Only played it for a couple of hours yesterday, but I found it to be addictive as hell. Only now do I understand what all the hype was about. I hang my head in shame...

I understand it can become quite a drag when you're 15 hours in, though, So I guess I'll cherish the moments I'm having now. ;)

I understand it can become quite a drag when you're 15 hours in

This is false information...

I guess it's subjective, though. What kept it fresh for me for about 50 hours was the pin system. Trying them all out and evolving them into super-powerful ones is one of the most appealing things about the game for me.

Ooooh I loved this game. I hope it sold well enough to warrant a sequel, the Pin system was brilliant. Kinda makes me want to dig it up and play it again...but I'd want to do the storyline again, and that'd mean losing all my pins...gaaaahhh!

I enjoyed this when I played it. Fun battles paired with a pretty engaging and unique storyline. I think this would have worked great as a short anime series or movie, same with Kingdom Hearts.

Soundtrack is also worth a look. Someday is amazing and the fact they produced English AND Japanese versions of the same songs is noteworthy. I actually like a lot of the English music in the game better than the Japanese.

Edited by Guy

Bumping this thread with quotes from the new thread (which is about rumours about the sequel)

I'm currently still playing this game (Day 4 with Joshua I believe) and I love it.

Will definitely be tracking any updates on this rumour.

Like Ellmeister, I finally started this game for real, eventhough I had it since release. I always play for like an hour to see if my purchase is justified, which it is, but I haven't really played it since. But I was in the mood for it now, even before the rumours of a sequel.

Anyway, I don't have much to report on my progress.. I'm currently at a boss on chapter.. 3? It's the shark boss, and I haven't been able to defeat it yet, I'll try again later. Then again, I'm adamant at defeating him on level 1.. Maybe I should try it at a higher level :rolleyes:. It's a bit annoying though, I have to do the fight before it as well, and skip through the entire conversations once more. They could have put a save option in between.

The battle system.. I do think it's fun, but it's hard. I still haven't come to grips with it, at least, that usually what my score after a battle suggests to me. They suggest focussing on one screen at a time, the one with the green bonus multiplier thing, but I find that usually my guy or girl on the other screen gets pummeled. At the moment I try to focus on the screen below, and just mash my dpad for the upper screen, occasionally glancing to see if I mash in the right direction.

What's the deal with pin evolution by the way? Or are they going to explain it properly in the game some time later? There's only a vague hint in the menu system, but it's not helping me. I'm curious about it, because I've noticed even your money can evolve..

Thanks, but no PayPal = no purchase. And I want a new copy...I always want new copies :D

Why? No CC? You do know [Paypal sucks] sucks right? I deleted my account, only signed up for it to buy some stuff I had no other option of paying for. I was going to suggest Amazon as well, as they have 2 sealed copies for a relatively normal price on offer.

I set it so the computer starts controlling top one, and only when I mash to one side because all the noise are on one side of the screen will I do anything. I know what you mean though, I'm too busy kicking ass with Neku!

The evolution is basically where you max out the pin's level and then it evolves and becomes a new pin, usually are very similar same move/ effect but stronger or for longer etc and can upgrade more. I've had a couple that have evolved like 3 times.

I love the variety in this game, so much to do and change.

That's the problem.. I first intended to wait and see what happened when I maxed out a pin, the.. Slash I believe, but it grew slowly from battles (it actually grows a lot more from not playing the game), and it goes up to level 7. But then I noticed your money could evolve, and they're automatically at max level. So how do you evolve those?

I use the slash only to master it by the way, it's not very useful in its current state (a good attack, but can only be used once very few seconds.

Later on you'll get money pins that aren't maxed out to evolve, but I didn't know the others say that.

I think the main slash like ones with a letter on them for designs are really useful once you get strong enough, they reload quick-ish and give you something to stop others attacking.

I want to use the ones that demand you "shout" but it would be a bit weird/ embarrassing :p

Huh?

I also started this game a month or two back (currently at the beginning of day 4), but I believe I mastered my 'slash' at level 3, at which time it got a star....

The game is quite overwhelming to me, and the battle system is quite hard to actually 'master'. I also do what Sméagol does: mash my D-pad and occasionaly looking to get the order of the cards right.

What I find most amusing though, is that one gets PP when you're not playing.

So when I started it after a pause of a week, my badges leveled up quicker than when I tried to attain PP through battling:laughing:

Great game, but there's a lot to it!

Probably one of those games which truly justifies multiple playthroughs.

I finally beat the Swing Shark yesterday!

Noise_61.PNG

Having said that, I could've beaten it much more easily had I reduced the difficulty, but what's the fun in that? Also by doing it on the highest difficulty I was able to get better drops, and with it, some useful pins.

So when I started it after a pause of a week, my badges leveled up quicker than when I tried to attain PP through battling:laughing:

This also helped greatly as one of my pins evolved and was able to chomp at it's HP in no-time.

I'm afraid I stopped playing this game somewhere in the middle.

It's still on the list though, but not having the craving to play it yet.