NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

Wii-only Gamers: Do you ever miss the feel of a dual analogue controller?

It's never even occured to me. Now you mention it though....no I don't miss it at all. It'd feel like a step back now.

Don't miss it in FPS's, dual analog FPS control just feels so fumbly & outdated. Wii pointer still < mouse, but comes damn close.

I was worried about how Geometry Wars Galaxies would work, but apparently it has 2 diff control types (nunchuck + pointer, or dual analog with classic controller).

For a sports game for Fifa 08 I think I prefer Dual Analog the extra buttons are needed and the right analog stick is used for tricks. Sometimes the extra buttons are needed sometimes they are a burden and makes things worse cos developers feel they need to make use of all the buttons.

For a FPS the Mouse and keyboard setup is still the best in precision and speed but not necessarily the most fun, dual analog is average for a FPS but it does it's job however it is clunky, slow and imprecise compared to M&K and the Wii Remote.

I found that on Metroid Prime 3 my arms would ache if I didn't relax my arms and pointed at the screen frantically.

Red Steel was a massive amount of fun when it came to shooting at things it was quick and precise besides zooming in, but we haven't even got Medal of Honour Heroes 2 yet and that has improved things from how good the controls already are in Metroid.

Here's my take on it:

Analogue control was an effort to 'introduce' 3D interaction and give users the sensation that they had full control over any proceeding on-screen action. In a similar vein to the mouse, we see that our hand (or a part of our hand, ie thumb) would dictate pace, movement and surrounding elements (cameras etc). This is all fine and good, yet I still remember people wanting to play a majority of N64 games with the D-Pad. Change can alienate.

I really feel that (in terms of Nintendo design) the Gamecube controller more-or-less forced players to use analogue (because of its position on the controller). By then many gamers and developers believed that analogue was preferential or "standard". Yet I also think that the PS2 controller was loved by many because of this "old school" placement of its d-pad. The analogue is very important and due to the popularity of the PS2 (and XBOX) Analogue control became paramount on controllers. (XBOX 360s 'developed' analogue controller and the subsequent duel analogue controls on the PS1 to the now standard PS2/PS3 controller.

It's only with the advent of the Wii that the analogue stick has taken a backseat in some gamers minds. Which is indeed, change similar to the N64. Yet, unlike the N64 this factor is NOT a form of alienation.

Consider the following:

If Analogue was on the wiimote itself it would alienate many non-gamers.

Afterall, a D-PAD is simpler in both it's appearance and range. (4-8 directions).

The nunchuck is Nintendo's "Get out of jail card" for developers whom have been making analogue games since 1996 onwards. And it affords many different types of "classic" games/genres.

The nunchuck motion sensor is a part of Nintendo justifying the add-on.

What you CANNOT see on the wiimote is where the true control lies. Which is a massive feat.

I personally think motion control has quite a long way to go. It is defining where gestures fall into place that make or break games on the Wii.

I think Wii Sports, with it's timed gesture based gameplay is still one of the best examples of how dual analogue controls can both appear archaic and yet complex too.

I really feel that analogue is now the bread and butter of the industry in a similar fashion to the mouse on a PC. However, Wii mote gestures, IR functionality brings fresh perspective and that is much more exciting than another game using the old style controls. However, much like there are gamers whom still love the simplicity of the d-pad. We will probably see gamers in 10/20 years from now still using the dual analogue controls, stating that it is the "hardcore" preference for gaming.

But I'd rather be "playing" tennis than using two nubs in tandom whilst holding a shoulder button in and sitting eerily still.

Just a "few" thoughts ;)

And ofcourse with powerful rumble feedback.

My wiimote has that, maybe yours is broken...? :confused:

I mean, take Metroid. When you were turning sometimes the Wiimote would no longer track the sensor bar, making things go utterly nuts when you got tracking again.

The only times the wiimote stops tracking the sensor are when you stop pointing at it (point it too much to the side)... so, in short, your fault, not the wiimote's or the sensor bar's. I have zero problems with the IR in Metroid, it works 100% (it sucks in Godfather, but that's poor programming).

This is actually pretty common with Wii, many people misuse the wiimote and blame it not on themselves but on the hardware. Which is of course nonsense. I highly doubt I have the best wiimote that Nintendo made but I don't experience a third of the problems I see reported online. Only problem my wiimote ever gave me was that once it went out of synch with the console after I switched it from horizontal to vertical and then back to horizontal.

Err, that said, if a game has good controls, I don't miss anything. In fact, just as long as a game's controls are well thought out, you tend not to think about them, that's whole point of good controller mapping.

Playing through Twilight Princess again I do think the game would play better (in terms of swordfighting at least) with the Cube controller. But then I equip the bow and start firing off arrows all over the place and remember there's some advantage to it.

• Analogue is quicker, but inprecise hense aim assists in console games.
  • The Wiimote can be horribly innaccurate at times, stressful on the arms in long sessions and the turning speed is still very slow.
  • The mouse and keyboard, is still the best control method. Its super precise, incredibly fast, requires no aim assists and is very fun to use if you're used to it.

oO

Analogue quicker?

ALso in Metroid it only loses track of the wiimote if you point at the wall or something, never happened to me during gameplay.

Hmm.. Personally I think the dual analog control is an invention that I could do without completely. Although I have to say my experience with it are fairly limited, I don't any FPS games for the Cube. But, I mean, an analog control for walking? You don't have 8 direction keys on your keyboard do you? So I agree with the person who also mentioned the N64 controls: they're the best as far as "traditional controls" go. That said, I do miss the C-buttons. Not so much for console FPS games, I also agree with some people that Wii controls are better for those games.. But in general, I think the remote / nunchuck combo could do with more buttons. Don't ask me were the should be placed though :indeed:.

So personally I prefer (in relation to FPS games):

Dual analog < N64 controls < Wii controls.

About PC controls (keyboard + mouse that is, can't play FPS games with just the keyboard as in Doom ;)), I'm not sure anymore, since the Wii.. I'm sure they're more precise, or at least easier to be precise with, but Wii controls feel more fun and natural to me now I think, although it's been a while since I played a FPS game on the PC. There's no friction with a remote. I like 'm both in any case.

no i dont miss it at all , i want to play every first person with a controller the wii has , when i play Metroid and i go back to halo3 it feels really strange with a normal controller

but for fighting games i go for the classic controller

Not really. PC gamers rarely miss dual analogs, too.

Again this, it's just so much more accurate with a mouse.

AS for analogues being quicker, it's dependant on your sensitivity settings really..

My wiimote has that, maybe yours is broken...? :confused:

The Wii remotes rumble facility doesn't strike me as powerful, though that could be because of a lack of rumble in the nunchuk. When I remember watching FF9 FMVs on the PS2 I remember fierce shaking of the controller! Anyone feel different?

I think it's powerful. Probably feels less powerful cause you're holding it with one hand and thus perhaps more loosely. But it does strike me as pretty strong. Even with low batteries, intensity never decreases.

Not really, but I don;t miss the Wii-mote when I play Cube games. Like I don;t miss Dual Analog when I play my SNES.

So I agree with the person who also mentioned the N64 controls: they're the best as far as "traditional controls" go.

Call me an ol' scruffy traditionalist, but I couldn't agree less even if I tried. I would never return to a single analogue stick after DA for some games. Not to say DA has to be used at every opportunity, but it makes some game better and easier to control. It's one of the few faults the Dreamcast had IMO.

That said, the DA-sticks on GC were poorly implemented, so I wouldn't take that as a reference for DA. Take the 360-controller: those DA-sticks are way better.

In the end, some control methods are just better suited for some games. I wouldn't say one is better than the other in general. I'm all for analogue sticks, but ever tried to play a Street Fighter using that? D-pad all the way! All control systems have their strenghts and weaknesses.

Why do I have the feeling there is flaming abound?

I've never felt comfortable using a mouse and keyboard. Being left handed is quite awkward, because then it kinda means you have to train yourself to play a PC FPS in a certain way.

Also, take into account that both Dual Analogue and PC controls have had years of refinery. We have still yet to have that Killer FPS title on the Wii, where the controls have been absolutely nailed. Nowadays with console FPS, it's a given.

Also, dual analogue controls don't just apply to FPS titles, they apply to all games, so I don't see why everybody is fixated with just comparing console FPS with PC FPS and so on...

I'm really glad dual-analog is gone. It was quite annoying - sure good for camera but still I didn't really like it.

The pad itself however is still fun from time to time but I stick gladly to my Wii. I can wave my arms around or sometimes only use one hand, I find this a lot more comfortable.

So two me two part controllers are the way forward.

The Wii remotes rumble facility doesn't strike me as powerful, though that could be because of a lack of rumble in the nunchuk. When I remember watching FF9 FMVs on the PS2 I remember fierce shaking of the controller! Anyone feel different?

That was back in the time of "Look, we have rumble...lets use it pointlessly loads". Nowadays its "We have rumble. Lets subtlely use it to give the player the optimum immersion in the game"

Erm not a chance, the PS2 pad is th ebiggest monstrosity in gaming!!!

And I completely disagree about Wiimote not being acurate - what? Its incredibly accurate!

I genuinely belive this is the last generation we will see DA as the primary device for consoles, Microsoft and Sony WILL copy the wiimote next gen, I'd put my left testicle on it!

I think the wiimote is an amazing way to control first person shooters, in fact I think it is easily the best and will only get better. Is mouse a little quicker - yeah, but games for me is about emmersion! And the Wii makes me feel a little more emersed!

And also, am I the only one who doesnt get achy hands from holding the wiimote!? I get an achy hand playing metroid because it is intense and my arms ache flailing on mario and Sonic but playing Zelda for hours, or metroid or whatever nothing in the arm department!

My left hand hurt a little after my first session with Mario Galaxy. I think it was because I hadn't played any Nunchuk Wii games for a while and I had to get used to it again. I don't recall getting that pain at launch though. Perhaps I had hurt my hand doing something else and only noticed it after playing the game?

The worst pain I've had from a video game controller is the guitar for Guitar Hero.

when the only console that really had it was the GC I don't really miss it at all.

What do you mean?