NEurope
Slaggis

Is France a Country?

(Watch the Video to understand the title)

You would think everyone would know at least which continent countries were part of, or even the name of the continents, but no. So many americans have such a lack of basic geographical skills it's embarassing.

Do you think this is a problem? Or is it ok for people to go without knowing where places are, or even the name of continents?

What the hell are people being taught in American Schools?

When young American adults were given a map of the United States and asked to find 10 specific states, California and Texas were the only two that could be located by a large majority of those surveyed (89 percent). Almost half (49 percent) could not locate New York, and more than two-thirds (70 percent) could not locate New Jersey.

The Americans, who were surveyed for National Geographic by RoperASW, weren’t much better at world geography. Only 24 percent were able to locate Saudi Arabia, only 17 percent were able to locate Afghanistan, and just 13 percent could locate Iraq or Ira

The American leaders couldn't care less for the education of its worker bees.

I think I have a great understanding of where states are in America, shame I've never been =/

Although I'm going to Mexico in Feb =D Which sort of counts because we will be flying over the USA XD

"hur-dur america is stupid"

No that´s out of the way. It´s a damn shame to see people say that. I´m not saying it should be mandatory for Americans to know much about europe geographical wise but not being sure if France is a country is just too much...

oh i didn't realize "Are You Smarter Than A Ten Year Old" was copied from a US show, i thought it was original :heh:

Or did the American TV copy Sky?

I don't think all americans are like that.. I mean imagine Jade Goodie answering that question?She wouldn't know.

Prior to 9/11, 40% of the American eqivilent of year 11 (15-16 year olds) couldn't name a single country in Asia. :blank:

To be honest with you, i'm not good a geography and although i knew the answer to that question, there is many more like that that i wouldn't know.

I didn't pay a particular interest in geography and i just don't know that much about countries. :)

I need to get out more :/

I don't think all americans are like that.. I mean imagine Jade Goodie answering that question?She wouldn't know.

Well of course not all Americans are like that :Þ

The proplem is that people like here are pushing the "stupid american" stereotype. Which is a very tired thing

Prior to 9/11, 40% of the American eqivilent of year 11 (15-16 year olds) couldn't name a single country in Asia. :blank:

Surely they knew of china/japan/india..?

wow that's a shocking figure tbh.

Seriously? Oh dear god the world is doomed. People cannot grow up not knowing basic things like that.

quoted for the win.

On the other hand american education needs help but americans arent stupid also I bet some people couldnt name many counties in this country.

The American leaders couldn't care less for the education of its worker bees.

Quoted for Fking truth. Btw great banner!!

Could you all name every one of the counties of England and point them out on a map? Could you tell me the name of every king or queen in order since the Domesday book?

No, and neither can I and I have a genius-level IQ. People know what they need to know and then if they choose to they can educate themselves further.

Could you all name every one of the counties of England and point them out on a map? Could you tell me the name of every king or queen in order since the Domesday book?

No, and neither can I and I have a genius-level IQ. People know what they need to know and then if they choose to they can educate themselves further.

Sure, but thinking that Europe is a country is just ridiculous.

Oh, off topic: Shino's sig is the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

Because that isn't using a selective sample and accurately portrays the whole of the USA :)

i watched a collage ages ago of americans answers to certain questions.

they were as simple as how many sides does a triangle have.4, none.. :/

<< found it

Pff, I bet most Europeans can't name half the American states or tell you where any of the inland ones are on a map - or for that matter point out somewhere like Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore, Bali, The Dominican Republic or 90% of the places in Russia. Most East Asians probably couldn't point out many European countries either and struggle with the difference between England and the UK.

In fact a disturbingly high number of British people couldn't locate half the European countries on a blank map.

quoted for the win.

On the other hand american education needs help but americans arent stupid also I bet some people couldnt name many counties in this country.

That's true, I would struggle to locate where quite a few counties are in relation to others (like if you asked me to name the counties that border Northamptonshire I would struggle) but not knowing anything about world geography is ridiculous, especially if those statistics are true and a large number can't locate New York or Texas. Anyhoo another quite a funny Americans on world geography video right.....................

i watched a collage ages ago of americans answers to certain questions.

they were as simple as how many sides does a triangle have.4, none.. :/

<< found it

To be fair, that's just bad editing, really. I highly doubt that the number of mericans interviewed in that video is more than 1% of the total number of Americans they interviewed altogether. And also, to repeat what some have said before, if you did something similar to this in the UK, or any other country in the western world for that matter, you would probably get similar results.

Having said that, 10 Eiffel Towers in France? Seriously?

To be fair, that's just bad editing, really. I highly doubt that the number of mericans interviewed in that video is more than 1% of the total number of Americans they interviewed altogether. And also, to repeat what some have said before, if you did something similar to this in the UK, or any other country in the western world for that matter, you would probably get similar results.

Having said that, 10 Eiffel Towers in France? Seriously?

i think you mean unfair editing.

i think they meant to do it, so its not editing.

When i read this title I was expecting some wierd topic about how France might not be independent due to some dodgy dealings that happened a few hundred years ago.

What a disappointment, it's the same old 'Americans are thick' bull shit

Pff, I bet most Europeans can't name half the American states or tell you where any of the inland ones are on a map - or for that matter point out somewhere like Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore, Bali, The Dominican Republic or 90% of the places in Russia.

In fact a disturbingly high number of British people couldn't locate half the European countries on a blank map.

Being something of a map whore, I probably could.

In fact, if someone wants to organise it, we could make a new forum game - eg someone posts a blank map, with unnamed places/states/countries/counties marked, and you have to name them - kinda like the "great N-E quiz".

No? ok...