NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
martinist

Gamespot US fires Jeff Gerstmann over Kane & Lynch review

(grabed from http://www.primotechnology.com/2007/11/29/gamespots-gerstmann-fired-allegedly-over-kane-and-lynch-review/)

After publishing a critical review of Eidos’ new shooter, Kane and Lynch: Dead Men, long-time Gamespot reviewer Jeff Gerstmann today finds himself without a job.

According to a fellow Gamespot contributor and close friend of Gerstmann who wished to remain anonymous, the editor was fired Wednesday morning because of his negative review of the game, which he awarded a 6.0. Comparably speaking, Metacritic lists Kane and Lynch as currently having a 68% average from critics. I recently reviewed the game, bestowing it with a score of 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Eidos is heavily advertising Kane and Lynch on Gamespot this week, including interactive Flash banners.

The latest Penny-Arcade comic features a brief overview of this controversy. However, because the comic isn’t scheduled to ‘go live’ until tomorrow, commentary from neither Gabe nor Tycho is yet provided.

Gerstmann had been with Gamespot since 1996 and was largely responsible for its growth. Several past reviews of his have been controversial, including an 8.8 awarded to Twilight Princess and a 10.0 for Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 3.

It is possible that other factors contributed to Gerstmann dismissal in addition to the review, although this is completely unsubstantiated at the present. While we stand behind the information presented here and our source, no official announcement has been made by Gerstmann or Gamespot. Expect more details to emerge online in the next 24 hours.

Gerstmann's video review has been pulled from gamespot but can be found here.

Kane and Lynch video review

I certainly hope he hasn't been fired due to advertiser pressure. What would be the point of reviewing games in the first place? Just give everything a perfect 10 and every drooling, fascistic idiot goes away happy.

8.8 Great!

Its great that he's gone, its great that GameSpot loses credibility over this.

Its not great.

Jeff always gave his utmost to Gamespot. Being editorial chief, running the podcast and 2 weekly live webcasts.

He was the only member left of the original GS crew. I actually canceled my subscription over this, giving into advertising pressure is a fucking joke.

I'm waiting for confirmation first. If it is true though, yah, it's basically the first sign of the impending corporate-sponsored apocalypse, where they will destroy our homes, murder our families, ship us to war and make us pay money for the privilege.

a 10.0 for Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 3.

They should have sent him into a mental asylum after that...

Still, getting fired over advertising pressure is rubbish.

He's certainly not without controvesy, as it was pointed out witht he Zelda and Tony Hawk's scores. But, the game in question has been receiving average scores left right and centre. Why aren't Eidos going after those reviewers, too?

Easy. They expected him to give a good score purely because he was associated with them. Well done to the guy for standing up and speaking what he thought was the truth. He doesn't deserve to lose his job over this, he deserves to be praised for not bowing to pressure.

Whatever credibility he lost with the Twilight Princess review, he has more than gained it back with this, imo.

I personally still don't get why everyone is so sore about the TP review. All things considered I rather agreed with him.

As much as I don't like him due to naff scores, if he was fired because of the advertising thing then it's a total joke. Just shows that people give scores based on pressure instead of genuine reviews (he might of been harsh,dunno to much about him).

But just cause he dissed a game that's being advertised doesn't mean he needs firing. Gamespot are even worse now.

I'm waiting for confirmation first. If it is true though, yah, it's basically the first sign of the impending corporate-sponsored apocalypse, where they will destroy our homes, murder our families, ship us to war and make us pay money for the privilege.

He sent a email into Joystiq confirming that he was fired.

Ah, I see. As it says though, facts are still up in the air a little bit, with Jeff "unable to comment". Just waiting for things to settle and see what's left.

I guess I just don't give a shit about Gamespot, or Jeff. I wish the entire website goes to hell.

I gave up on GameSpot when a few years back people outside the US had problems loading images all the time.

Can't say I ever visited Gamespot but (Tony Harrison voice) this is an outrage.

Hello IGN.

Fuck that.

Gametrailers is pretty much the only place worth going for content. Shame its community is worse than CNET's other site Gamefaqs...

I've been on Gametrailers loads latley, i really like the fourms and site.

Although the OMG MGS4 IS COMIN 2 XBOX!!11 topics every few days are doing my head in.

It's atrocious, but I can't say I'm that surprised. Hopefully Jeff will be able to get back on his feet, perhaps with 1up?

GameSpot's forums are imploding and they keep having to reset the "reader score" for K&L because it keeps ending up at 1.3.

Absolute PR disaster for both parties, possibly the worst since "All I want for xmas is a PSP". Eidos have gone from having the small problem of a lackluster review on a site they paid big buck to to completely skin their front page in their game advert, to the rather larger problem of no-one trusting good reviews of their game because of the implication that the reviews were written under duress. Meanwhile, GameSpot has lost a lot of credibility and is now experiencing a concerted campaign of mobilised forum geeks cancelling their subscriptions en masse (And setting up a website to keep a tally of how much money GS has lost) while churning out internet memes by the bucketload to go alongside the cynical swipes by the likes of Penny Arcade.

I agree with Bluestar up there, it seems we're staring down the business end of one of the greatest PR cock-ups since Antoinette told everyone to try Mr Kipling iced shortbread instead.

Gerstmann was a class A tit. I find this all quite funny for a number of reasons. It is unfair what Eidos and Gamespot have done, and I never liked Gamespot anyway, but this really shows them up. But although it is unfair, if anyone deservs the sack, it's Jeff. Happy ending all round.

(And setting up a website to keep a tally of how much money GS has lost)

Anyone has a link for this?

It's ridiculous really, his review matched the average scores pretty much anyway. All i've heard about this game from anywhere it's that it's pretty average.

Total bollocks.

Sign in to follow this