NEurope
Wesley

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

I played it for half an hour and got bored. Not sure what the big hubbub is about.

ooooh. So did you feel it was without merit at all or just you got bored?

I imagine what happened was the moment people started praising the game Daft realised he hated it.

I never said I hated it or that it was a bad game. I'm voicing a personal opinion, I would appreciate it if you respected that.

ooooh. So did you feel it was without merit at all or just you got bored?

There are a lot of things to like about it but it just didn't hook me. I'm not a fan of stealth and I don't think the shooting is good enough to make an offensive playstyle that fun. I'm going to give it another go, maybe it'll click.

If I gave up on every game that didn't immediately grab me within the first thirty minutes, I would have missed out on a lot of great games.

That said, I'm not sure what you're doing playing Deus Ex if you don't like stealth. :heh:

I'm just renting it. Beyond that there is an old Deus Ex I pretty much know nothing about this one. I didn't even know it was an FPS. :hehe:

So basically what you're saying is that you're only playing it because it's popular? ;)

I never said I hated it or that it was a bad game. I'm voicing a personal opinion, I would appreciate it if you respected that.

I was just ribbing, Daft, and you were asking for it by sidling in with such an aloof comment.

If you have no prior exposure to the series — or similar titles like Vampire: The Masquerade — I suspect it'll take a while for appreciation to sink in. I can see how someone might come away thinking it's a slightly wonky FPS, as opposed to the breaking and entering simulator it truly is.

That said if you hate stealth it may be a non-starter. It's far more freeform than, say, the old Splinter Cell games, but ultimately the game's designed around enemies not knowing where you are for the majority of the time.

Also:

Edited by Aimless

I'm gonna go in again, this time prepared.

So basically what you're saying is that you're only playing it because it's popular? ;)

I thought I'd rent it ironically.

A few friends that I talk to regularly got it and there was nowt else I wanted to rent, thought I might as well. I now get it's a stealth game but the opening mission does give you an option between sneeking in via the roof or goig through the front guns blazing and ultimately the guns don't feel very satisfying. Like I said, I'll give it another go. Maybe it'll be different now I know what to expect.

The criticism of the action part "lacking" is common.

That was the biggest complaint on Bombcast as well.

I think it's kind of true.

I don't really feel bothered by it because I would spend an extra 3 hours working around killing someone.

(The night before last I spent 4 hours doing something STUPID just so I didn't have to even knock someone out.)

But then Deus Ex never had amazing gun-play either to be honest.

It really does just feel like the evolution of Deus Ex.

Which is why it's awesome and you're not.

I think the gunplay is fine, it's just different. There's very much a focus on headshots, ammo conservation and striking unaware opponents, which doesn't conform to current trends but still works fine so long as you play along. (Much as I enjoy the Bombcast, I always have to take Jeff's comments with a pinch of salt as he's quick to dismiss things which need to be approached differently to other games.)

Despite Jensen being fairly frail I find the game very empowering, especially once you're all augmented up. You can absolutely decimate rooms of enemies with a bit of creativity; it's somewhat similar to Arkham Asylum in that sense.

Apparently if you go back through checkpoints later on in a level different things are happening, like officers investigating what has happened. Saw it on Reddit, wondered if anyone had done this? It sounds pretty cool.

Gibbs, the disk might be damaged?

I'm begining to think its the disk, on the gamefaqs board for the game only 1 other person seems to have encountered any crashing....

might swap it tomorrow

BAHAHAHAHAHA i'm off to do that now

It's funny you can stash a body in the weapons cache but you can't put a weapon back in it :heh:

Can't put this down, best game I have played in a long time.

Love reading the emails in computers, especially ones such as people leaving things in fridges or the amount of car parking spaces, it's just like where I work!! Nice to see a spoof of the nigerian scam emails as well

Oh and a gas mine is mucho fun, you can bring down a slew of enemies in one perfectly placed gas mine.

Edited by James

MAN. The Police Station. I was there for two hours working out how to get up to the second floor office and had to give up in the end (I'm thinking I'll go back with the stealth implant, maybe..) but god damn it was fun trying the different approaches. I love that there isn't a karma system for you to feel judged by each time you do something negative. It means you can play like I want to without worrying about swinging in either extreme to get positive attributes. I basically sneak around when I can, but if I'm detected then so be it, my laser sight pistol comes out and headshots come out to play :D

MAN. The Police Station. I was there for two hours working out how to get up to the second floor office and had to give up in the end (I'm thinking I'll go back with the stealth implant, maybe..) but god damn it was fun trying the different approaches. I love that there isn't a karma system for you to feel judged by each time you do something negative. It means you can play like I want to without worrying about swinging in either extreme to get positive attributes. I basically sneak around when I can, but if I'm detected then so be it, my laser sight pistol comes out and headshots come out to play :D

I've found that I wind up exploring every single aspect of an area, even if I've already made my way in. I talked my way into the police station, but then I went through all the vents and sewers etc anyway, because there was extra XP to be had :heh:

So I've settled into the vibe of this a little more and and enjoying it a little more, too. My only slight irk at the moment is that you don't automatically pick up ammo when you walk over it (but actually, in many ways that is a conscious design choice that does make the whole thing a little more...tense).

Also, the hacking game is...confusing. I've done a few now so I must be doing something right but I'm just not sure.

First mission I saved none of the hostages and didn't disarm the bomb (I found the code, though). Although I never found the hostages and not being sure how open the game was, didn't realise there were any to actually save (and that they weren't only mentioned in the story).

And, I'm not really finding the cover thing useful. It's much easier to do it manually.

Saving the hostages was listed in your objectives, but I missed them the first time round as well.

With a limited inventory à la Resident Evil, it would be annoying if you picked up ammo automatically.

Ah, yeah, I guess I thought I'd happen upon them and then I reached the last room and it was too late. Dunno, I thought I'd get to them some way.

Good point about the limited space.

My only real criticism of this game is that everything is too damn orange, and the cities don't feel alive at all. It reminds me a lot of ODST. Why not a single moving car? Why no daytime?

Great minds!

...or not in this case. :heh:

My only real criticism of this game is that everything is too damn orange, and the cities don't feel alive at all. It reminds me a lot of ODST. Why not a single moving car? Why no daytime?

Yeah, I love how the NPCs in the streets are just starring at empty shops, too.

MAN. The Police Station. I was there for two hours working out how to get up to the second floor office and had to give up in the end (I'm thinking I'll go back with the stealth implant, maybe..) but god damn it was fun trying the different approaches.

Air vents myfriend

There is a fire escape near the side of the building, with a vent at the top, takes you in on the third floor.

From then you can follow more vents to the stairs on the 3rd floor, watch a guard leave.... go down stairs and watch guard patterns and go in the restricted area to the left. Avoid the camera and in the armoury go in the vents again to the 2nd floor offices, but you need to hack the laser vent system first and deactivate it

If not all that you can chat to the desk clerk, a guy you know and convince him to let you in the morgue, this allows you into all the building, but you still need to sneak into offices that are locked, the easiest is the Sargent's office next to the desk clerks, his computer has the codes to the captains office on the second floor

Why not a single moving car?

Check the prices at the closed down petrol station near Detroit's LIMB clinic and you'll see why.

So I set off the alarm in the police station when checking out the sewer entrance while exploring. No one saw me and I waited for it to die down. Now the police always shoot at me. Is there any way to undo this?

Both my autosaves are in this state and the save before that was like an hour ago.

It's an utter load of shit.