NEurope
Daft

Xbox Live Arcade/PSN Thread

Isn't Amy supposed to be out soon aswell? I've heard great things about that.

I see Dungeon Defenders is on sale this week. I may snap it up as it looked fun and 4 player co-op is always a bonus.

Dungeon Defenders is freaking awesome! I've only put a few hours into it and already I can tell this is going to suck up alot of my time.

I've just reached level 10 with my Mage but I may try using a different class as my nephew was just running around stealing all the kills with his warrior. :mad:

Agreed its a great game :D I get loads of kills with the monk, his upgraded electric aura is great and he can take out whole groups easily with an axe or mace.

Wait...Alan Wake's American Nightmare is out on Wednesday? Why does it have to be that Wednesday?

So.... Alan Wake's American Nightmare. Downloaded it earlier and I've done the equivalent of what appear to be the first 3 chapters/sections/whatever. Having really enjoyed the original, all I can say is that I'm disappointed so far with what this has given.

It seems they went back to try their sandbox ideas for this, as you essentially have 3 main open areas that the chapters are set in, and as such, I can definitely see why they ended up with/chose something more linear with the first game, with some smoke-and-mirrors used to give a sense of exploration. The locations in AWAN are too open and empty; pretty much devoid of anything, with only a couple of buildings that you can enter, and that includes the Taken bar a handful of instances when they'll appear. They just lack that special something that made Bright Falls and the surrounding area great fun to explore. Probably helped that it wasn't always night there whereas it is in this :blank:

There's 1 NPC for each location and that's it, with that NPC acting as a quest hub who'll ask you to head out and collect something(s) before giving you a special manuscript you've got to use to head out to specific areas and do something to recreate the conditions mentioned in the manuscript in the location leading to some pretty absurd stuff (seriously, the one for the first area of the game is ridiculous even by Alan Wake plot standards).

At least the combat is still pretty good. Loved the light mechanic and it still works well here although it's still easy enough to send shoots off in completely the wrong direction. Some new enemy types do mix things up nicely though (although Spiders was a stupid inclusion), the Splitter splitting in two when light is shone on it making double the trouble although they are weaker each time they split. Also, the ones who can transform into birds to get away from you and swoop down behind you for a surprise are pretty good. So at least it still holds up well there, more so with an expanded arsenal of weapons but there's very little in the way of ammo conservation needed as they've put ammo caches everywhere that restock.

Haven't had a go on Arcade Action yet (the single player only Horde mode they've done which does look good) but as I said, little disappointed so far. Just isn't hitting the same notes as the first one did and it's because of developer choices, bad ones, rather than the move to DLG. Not sure how much I've got left but it looks like it's looping the locations which I'm not too impressed with. Never did play The Writer DLC so think I may do that when finished here. Should give me the 'thrills' I'm currently not finding here.

@Hero\-of\-Time - are you still playing Dungeon Defenders? It's probably my most played game so far this year, really enjoying it. One of the best co-op games I've ever played. It does get hard further in though, and all but one of the achievements seem miles off. The leveled up Orcs and Ogres take a real beating!

@Hero\-of\-Time - are you still playing Dungeon Defenders? It's probably my most played game so far this year, really enjoying it. One of the best co-op games I've ever played. It does get hard further in though, and all but one of the achievements seem miles off. The leveled up Orcs and Ogres take a real beating!

Nah. Me and my mates stopped playing it all of a sudden and seeing as I didn't have any achievements off it, I deleted it off my game history, I still have the game though. Unfortunetly I think it's a game that can only be enjoyed when playing with others. It's not nearly as much as when you're playing with some mates in co-op.

Yeah I can imagine that. Funnily enough I think most of the best co-op games are nowhere near as fun in single-player. Borderlands is the classic example. There must be something about sacrificing standard gameplay elements for various co-operative elements. In a sense, you reduce the amount an individual has to do, in order to encourage shared objectives and teamwork.

This game has just gone through Microsoft for approval or something. The rumoured release date is 2/5 2012 but that is not set in stone. Anyway, it looks absolutely awesome and clever. Enjoy!

(direct link:

) Edited by jayseven

Indeed it does. However, I have just, upon further reading, found out that the game is "old": it's been in development since 2008 where it was first shown. So I'm sorry if this is old news to some. Just couldn't stop myself sharing the awesomeness of that trailer.

Decided I could do with a new XBLA game as I seem to have missed out on quite a few over the years, so I bought some MS points today.

Currently downloading trials of Warp, Shadow Complex and From Dust. I've trialled Bastion and it's pretty sweet as everyone on here said at the time, but I want to see if any of the above 3 take my fancy over it.

N+ was always one of my favourite games on XBLA, anyone else put quite a few hours into this little gem?

More Sega goodness heading our way.

Now this is a bit special. One of the formative gaming experiences of our lifetime, Alex Kidd in Miracle World is heading to the Xbox Live Arcade and he's bringing a couple of his SEGA friends along with him for the SEGA Vintage Collection: Alex Kidd & co. You may remember Alex Kidd being that funny game built-in to your SEGA Master System II back in the day.

Alex Kidd in Miracle World was hard as nails, as was Revenge of Shinobi, which was sorely absent from the SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis Collection, but will be in the SEGA Vintage Collection. Playing as Joe Musashi, you take on the denizens of the Neo Zeed with little more than a katana and some throwing darts. Remember the cheat for infinite shurikens!

Super Hang-On is also included in the three game collection, offering arcade motorbike racing. There's also a second SEGA Vintage Collection on the cards too, with Wonder Boy's Monster World trilogy. The Monster World collection unites Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Wonder Boy in Monster World and Monster World IV in one digital download for XBLA.

Each collection adds leaderboards, achievements, recordable and downloadable game sessions, challenging new trial modes and the Alex Kidd & co. collection will also support an option to turn on the original Japanese dialogue, as well as a 3D mode for Super Hang-On and in-game juke boxes. Check out the first screens from both collections below. Release dates and pricing for the SEGA Vintage Collections have yet to be confirmed.

More downloadable goodness from Sega? Always good news :)

Though pretty soon they will have re-released so much stuff on current gen consoles that I'll actually have no need to play the original consoles any more, with the exception of my Sega Multimega 32X of course as I don't see them re-releasing Chaotix any time soon but who knows! ;)

More Sega goodness heading our way.

Revenge of Shinobi = Win.

I loved playing that on the MEGA CD. :)

South Park hits XBLA this Friday.

With THQ and Obsidian Entertainment continuing work on South Park: The Game, you'll be able to satisfy your South Park appetite in the meantime with South Park: Tenorman's Revenge exclusively on the Xbox Live Arcade later this week.

Playing as Stan, Kyle, Cartman and Kenny, you'll travel through time and space to fight Scott Tenorman and his army of Ginger robots, across 22 levels with drop-in and drop-out co-op play for up to four players. Sounds sweet.

To find out more about South Park: Tenorman's Revenge, give our preview a read. It's coming to XBLA on March 30th for 800 Microsoft Points.

Daytona USA is only 400 points this week for those who wanted to get this classic Sega arcade game but - like me - decided to wait for the inevitable price reduction. : peace:

---------------------

Annnnnd... 200G get! :D only took me about an hour and a half, could have been even quicker but I wanted to try out challenge mode properly, anyway I'd still recommend the game as it has an online mode too and ti works with the Wireless Wheel which is great.

Would have given multiplayer a bash but batteries died on me but will probably take it for a spin again soon. :)

Edited by S.C.G

Fez finally gets a release date!

Fez, an Actual New Game of 2012, has been given an Xbox Live Arcade release date: 13th April 2012.

That's a Friday.

Fez will cost 800 Microsoft Points.

The date was announced by maker Polytron on its website.

Fez is a 2D platform puzzler that works by rotating your environment. "It falls into that undersubscribed sub-genre of games that do interesting things with the line between the second and third dimension," wrote Eurogamer.