NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

The Quality of Wii Games

?

RRR = Rayman Raving Rabbids. As it was clearly highlighted in the list. Between Resi Evil and Tomb Raider. ;)

Whooops lo, major mistake, forgive me. :bowdown: ...Rayman?...Do we really need another set of 50+ 'fun' mini games?

To those that say the Wii had a great 1st year, sure, but take into consideraion why...Super Paper Mario was meant to launch on the GC, so to was Twilight Princess and probably most other games. The games which were to nourish the lack lustre last year of the GC came to Wii instead, thats all.

Even still, I'm not complaining about a 'lack of games' (I just posted up a plethra of Wii games!), I'm talking about the overal quality of them.

People seem to have horribly short memories. No console's first year is ever that incredible, and the Wii's has certainly been as good as any other console I can think of (except for the DreamCast). The simple fact is that first years are always going to be full of mediocrety, it's just how it is.

whatsmore, the Wii's was no doubt going to be even worse then most consoles. Apart from Nintendo I don't think anyone would have risked putting resources in the Wii, the console was supposed to be the flop of the century.

Now we're entering the second year things are really starting to pick up, while we've only scratched the surface of 2008 it's already shaping up some pretty awesome looking games. The Wii now has the most exclusive games announced for it, and while the majority of them are going to poor, with quantity there is going to be a great deal of quality.

Oh, and anyone who posts some list of incredible GameCube first year games, please remember that the console came out 9 months later in Europe then Japan, so our first year really consisted of 21 months worth of games.

Exactly Jammy!

And King V, how can you say the Wii's first year is good only because it had a few really strong games moved over to it from the gamecube? I dont care WHY it's had a good first year, just saying that it HAS :)

Anyways, I'm happy, I have over 25 games and like to love them all!!

Unfortunately, every console suffers from this. Why? It's far quicker and cheaper to churn out grade-F **** than star titles like Galaxy, thus there will be more of them. That, and there are many morons out there who will buy these games. ;)

Jammy's completely right. What console does have a fantastic first year? And who cares if there are a ton of mediocre titles? As mentioned earlier, it's inevitable that the most popular and cheapest to develop for console will have the most quick cash-in titles. I'd rather focus on the quality and diversity of what's out there: Super Mario Galaxy couldn't be traded for anything on either PS3 or 360, Metroid Prime is a great first-person adventure, Godfather proved the Wii could pull off adventure games, and all the other games every one else mentioned are enjoyable in their own light.

The 360 titles, in my opinion, aren't anything more special than the good Wii games: they all represent the same gritty FPS subgenre, and are more attractive for a boost of masculinity than for quality gaming. They're good games and all, but hardly anything noteworthy has evolved past Perfect Dark on the N64, and I'd put them more on par with Godfather or Trauma Center: good, but nothing spectular (and at least the Wii has diversity). I must be the minority, but I feel one amazing game like Mario Galaxy easily overshadows a horde of good rehashes of gritty FPS.

No console's first year is ever that incredible, and the Wii's has certainly been as good as any other console I can think of

Truer words were never spoken.

(except for the DreamCast).

Until now, that was. :D

We've had Zelda, Metroid and Mario - IMO the best version of each repsective series - fuck me things couldn't be any better for a nintendo fan!!!

What does 360 have we don't? CoD4. Bioshock, Halo 3, GRAW, Orange box.....what genre are all these again? Oh yeah FPS ZZZzzzzzzzz And Metroid (in one player) beats them all!!!!!

Bearing in mind those 3 games are all first/second party games. The only first/second party game out of those 360 ones is Halo 3. Anyway, you've forgotten Oblivion, Gears of War, Guitar Hero 2 and Mass Effect.

The quality of wii games is indeed very low. I'm sorry to say this but super mario galaxy is crap. I have played it for 15 minutes and I was bored. Give me normal levels, big ones with land not small planets where i have to run upside down, or also the new move where you have to shake the controller is bull.... . ALso mario party 8 is not that as fun as the old ones because like half of the multiplayer games are crap becasue of teh motion sensless controls, this also counts for super monkey ball. Super paper mario is also too kiddy for me. Mario vs sonic is fun for 2 minutes because only two or three mini games are fun and the rest is crap.

The games which are actually good for the wii are sadly enough gamecube games. The legend of zelda and resident evl 4. Both originally made for the gamecube but they implented some wireless controls ( which works very well).

My brother keeps telling to me the wii sucks and i always said to him wait for mario galaxy and sonic and resident evil umrella chronicles. The first two sucks and resident evil is not getting very good reviews but that isn't a problem for me, i have to play a game before i can really judge a game.

SO nintendo or game developers give me normal games, no crappy games with the use of the motion senseless controller. Resident evil 4 and zelda just used it for aiming which was enough and which is fun to do.

And also the wii online is crap, name me one game which is online and good, and not this crappy football maro game. Mario party 8 and mario vs sonic would have been great agmes online but no tehy are just releasing those games very quickly to earn money.

I bought a ps3 recntly and that isn't worth the money. I always hated the x box and still do but I have to admit that the x box 360 is the best console out there right now.

In other words nintendo you let me down, and I think also other gamers too which loved nintendo games in the gamecube / n64 / super nes era. Go ahead make games for my grandmother. Everybody I know and a lot of people on forums keeps saying my wii is under a lot of dust right now and regret to have bought one. The only games I play on the wii are virtual console games which shows how low the quality of wii games are.

People seem to have horribly short memories. No console's first year is ever that incredible, and the Wii's has certainly been as good as any other console I can think of

In terms of the number of games, yes, you are absolutely right. But in terms of overal quality, I disagree. I have yet to see a game (apart from two 'native' Wii games; Galaxy and Corruption) with the same quality as Gamecube launch day titles as Luigi's Mansion and Rogue Leader. I haven't seen anything remotely close to what Pikmin 1 offered in the 'launch window', nor have I seen a remake as ambitious and thought-out as Resident Evil Remake, which was released roughly 4-5 months after the GC launch in its respective territories.

Is it developer laziness, or developers focusing too much time on Wii controls - I don't know, but there are surely problems when you can only pick out about 2-4 games within a whole year (1/5 of the consoles lifespan) that has a particular air of quality to them.

In it's first year the PS2 already had games like: Gran Turismo 3, Jak and Daxter, pro Evolution Soccer, Onimusha, Shadow of Memories, Ico (in Japan and US) and Wipeout and I'm sure much more. Not perfect games, but games that have a degree of depth which are worth buying and playing especially on a consoles first year...Whats the Wii's excuse?

No I wasn't being sarcastic, I loved Excite Truck!

Excite Truck is the Wii game I'm missing the most. Sure, it has lots of problems, but it's my most loved racing game ever.

Whats the Wii's excuse?

The fact that it's success took most developers by surprise? You can hardly compare it a list of PS2 game sin it's first year - developers knew it would do well, so started development as soon as it was possible. Even so, the Wii massively beats that list of PS2 games.

The fact that it's success took most developers by surprise? You can hardly compare it a list of PS2 game sin it's first year - developers knew it would do well, so started development as soon as it was possible. Even so, the Wii massively beats that list of PS2 games.

So then its all Nintendo's fault in the end. (The N64 was the PS3 of today - How could they have f-ed up the success of the Snes?).

The wii is the best console ever made...To people who have traditionally viewed games consoles as crud. The magic is indeed there. It's just that traditional gamers have been intristically expectant of particular games and genres and when they haven't come along they have stated the wii as poor.

For instance I love Carnival Games and indeed the presentation isn't astounding and the game in't the "BEST EVAR" but I love it's charm and some of the games are more akin to something from the 80's arcade cabinets. High scores can be the best form of longevity.

And look at Brain Training. Is it a poor "game" and if it is, does that mean the QUALITY is poor?! Wii Sports could be seen as the Wii equivalent to the DS's Brain Training.

I just think people are being way too harsh at times. Even the mere suggestion of this thread smacks of a lack of understanding of what the wii is offering in comparison to the past and a inherant misunderstanding of what the term quality can mean.

Let the flame wars commence I guess..

So then its all Nintendo's fault in the end. (The N64 was the PS3 of today - How could they have f-ed up the success of the Snes?).

Arrogance?!

Because the original PlayStation was the Wii of today.

Arrogance?!

Indeed!...They made a fateful error by choosing head-strongly to continue using overpriced carts for their games. Then they did the same thing with the GC which only served to limit what software the console could get. Idiots!

Indeed!...They made a fateful error by choosing head-strongly to continue using overpriced carts for their games. Then they did the same thing with the GC which only served to limit what software the console could get. Idiots!

The biggest design flaw with the GameCube was probably purple. The disks hardly limited anything.

The biggest design flaw with the GameCube was probably purple. The disks hardly limited anything.

...Even though you could get the Black version at the same time?

Because the original PlayStation was the Wii of today.

The PS was nothing spectacular, and nothing within the realm of impossiblity for Nintendo. Nintendo had the option of going the same route, and was even requested by a few developers (most notably SQUARESOFT) to use disc media...But ofcourse Nintendo went the "Nintendo Difference" route, however that backfired and rightly so :D

Tbh, even if I didn't admitted at the time, they choose a really bad color for the Cube, and the controller looked like a Fisher-Price product.

...Even though you could get the Black version at the same time?

They didn't advertise it as black. IIRC, even some people from Nintendo later admitted that it was a big mistake.

The PS was nothing spectacular, and nothing within the realm of impossiblity for Nintendo.

The PS went the "casual/non gamer" route. Just like the Wii is doing now.

The PS was nothing spectacular, and nothing within the realm of impossiblity for Nintendo. Nintendo had the option of going the same route, and was even requested by a few developers (most notably SQUARESOFT) to use disc media...But ofcourse Nintendo went the "Nintendo Difference" route, however that backfired and rightly so :D

Backfired in sales, but in games it definitely won it for me.

In terms of the number of games, yes, you are absolutely right. But in terms of overal quality, I disagree. I have yet to see a game (apart from two 'native' Wii games; Galaxy and Corruption) with the same quality as Gamecube launch day titles as Luigi's Mansion and Rogue Leader. I haven't seen anything remotely close to what Pikmin 1 offered in the 'launch window', nor have I seen a remake as ambitious and thought-out as Resident Evil Remake, which was released roughly 4-5 months after the GC launch in its respective territories.

Did you intentionally choose to disregard what I stated about how the European launch line up consisting of games which had been out for 9 months already in Japan. GameCube's launch over here isn't comparable to the Wii's, it already had 9 months of games from it's Japan launch!

Is it developer laziness, or developers focusing too much time on Wii controls - I don't know, but there are surely problems when you can only pick out about 2-4 games within a whole year (1/5 of the consoles lifespan) that has a particular air of quality to them.

There's no problem, first years suck. For God sake look at every console's first year line up and it's the same story, is it so hard to see that? No publisher wants to release a game in a consoles first year, why the hell would they want too?

Obviously it's also partly due to the fact that before the Wii was a huge success no publisher under the sun dared put any resources into the Wii.

In it's first year the PS2 already had games like: Gran Turismo 3, Jak and Daxter, pro Evolution Soccer, Onimusha, Shadow of Memories, Ico (in Japan and US) and Wipeout and I'm sure much more. Not perfect games, but games that have a degree of depth which are worth buying and playing especially on a consoles first year...Whats the Wii's excuse?

Wii doesn't need an excuse it has just as many games on that level of quality. Things always look better in retrospect anyway, at the time there was just as much bitching and moaning about the PS2's lack of games as there is for the Wii.

If we're going to go down that route, then we should be thankful video games still exsist as last time I checked Nintendo were the ones which picked it up from the gutter Atari left it in.

I'm with King V on this.

The Wii is quickly become a gimmicky console. For once it's us Nintendo fans with the least powerful console and mediocre games, which everyone's buying because they think a laughably underpowered system with a controller which limits, just as much as it expands gameplay, is the 'hot gadget'.

Can I just ask, do people class games which score less then an 8 as bad or something? Would you not buy a game which scores a 7.9 because you think it's mediocre.

I look at the list in the first post and I see a host of games I'd consider buying if it weren't for the fact there are already tons back-logged that I need to catch up on.

I guess alot of it is just a matter of where you stand as a gamer. I'm a 'hardcore' gamer for sure, but nowadays I see myself having less and less time to play games and an ever growing budget to buy whatever I want. For me I don't need a game to be amazing to enjoy the purchase, but I guess it's different for someone who plays games for many hours a day and can only afford one or two games a month.

Of course the greatest irony is that King V is planning on buying PBR. He complains about the 'quality' of games but succumbs to buying one of the worst examples of a cash-in.

I would hardly call Mario Galaxy mediocre, or Metroid Prime 3, Twilight Princess, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, and Excite Truck for that matter. They're some of the best games I've played this generation.

The other two consoles may be more powerful, but that power is mostly wasted on graphics than utilising it to bring anything truly worth while to the gameplay. Take Ratchet & Clank on the PS3 for example. It's a good game, but strip away the detailed visuals and you're left with little more than a PS2 game.

The Wii has had a lack of exciting games.

Zelda

Mario Galaxy

Metroid

Godfather

Trauma Center

Resident Evil 4

MoH Heroes 2

Batalion Wars

Tomb Raider

Endless Ocean

I mean for gods sake, the third last says it all: a game in the MOH series takes the place as the best FPS on the format!

For you who are saying that the first year usually sucks, look at what's up in the future. The good games announced so far are:

Super Smash Bros Brawl

No More Heroes

Soul Calibur Legends

Day of Disaster

Why is the Wii the only format that's not getting Call of Duty 4, even the DS is getting it. Why haven't Nintendo announced some new epic game to blow us away? Where's Starfox? I'm tired of all these minigame compilations that come out every 5 minutes.

I'm not saying I've expected tons of great games to be out yet, but where are the future titles? I can't see that many must-buys on the horizon!