NEurope
triforce_keeper

Zelda 2008

I reckon we won't see another Zelda till Xmas 2009...the producer keeps stating something about 'a different graphical approach' but i have no-idea what other graphical approaches there is to use!

I've been thinking about this. Would it be entirely out of the realm of possibility to give it an anime style? We've had cel shading and realistic so how about that next? I'm not sure personally how I'd feel about it. But also think of how TP didn't do as well as expected in Japan perhaps an anime reinvention along with perhaps even an anime series/movie could help reinvigorate Zelda in Japan.

Well...the last two home consoles have had 2 proper Zelda games. And we're still waiting for the first proper Wii Zelda.

That site is obviously fake, though.

Give zelda an over-the-look shoulder camera and it'd rock.

Infact, make it more like Resi4 and it'd be amazing.

I want a proper story, more characters and a more epic feel, I don;t want to see the world collapsing and people still going around doing their grocery shopping!

Also, I'd like them to bring back cel-shading.

The latest game was made in cel-shading, there's not much to bring back.

i'd like a new zelda game as soon as poss just like the next person but for a revoloution to happen we all know it takes years of work! look at how long oot took. so they can take aslong as they want just aslong as theres an amazing game at the end of it. WW and TP wernt failiures but theyve done damage to the series reputation as far as im concernd.

and to those who think it doesnt need a revamp from oot style gameplay.... go and play tp then play shadow of the collosus and still see if you agree?

The latest game was made in cel-shading, there's not much to bring back.

You knew what I meant, as in the console games.

I disagree with the people calling for a futuristic Zelda, with guns and missles and motorbikes. It's just not Zelda. That's closer to Metroid really.

It's like making the next Half Life game a sword slasher. It may well be a good game, but it just would not be a Half Life game.

Well...the last two home consoles have had 2 proper Zelda games. And we're still waiting for the first proper Wii Zelda.

That site is obviously fake, though.

NES (2): Zelda, Zelda II

SNES (1): Zeldat: ALTTP

Virtual Boy (0)

N64 (2): OOT, MM

GCN (2-3): WW, FSA, *possibly* TP

Wii (0-1): *possibly* TP

The site's fake.

1 Nintendo whould put it on their official Zelda site and 2 why would they call it zelda 2008?

I disagree with the people calling for a futuristic Zelda, with guns and missles and motorbikes. It's just not Zelda. That's closer to Metroid really.

It's like making the next Half Life game a sword slasher. It may well be a good game, but it just would not be a Half Life game.

Yea. I would be happy if instead of the next Zelda we had a sci-fi with similar elements to Zelda, but with no relation character/item/plot-wise to any of them. Perhaps Miyamoto could order the developers to shove in Star Fox elements half way through development.

Yea. I would be happy if instead of the next Zelda we had a sci-fi with similar elements to Zelda, but with no relation character/item/plot-wise to any of them. Perhaps Miyamoto could order the developers to shove in Star Fox elements half way through development.

Hehe, sly dig at Adventures? :heh:

Really think that Nintendo need to take Zelda back to formula. The whole series is going to get more stale than MGS if they don't. Would be a shame for them to fuck the series that bad.

Really think that Nintendo need to take Zelda back to formula. The whole series is going to get more stale than MGS if they don't. Would be a shame for them to fuck the series that bad.
What you you suggest that means them doing?

I hope the next game isn't in Hyrule. Wha's the point in a game about exploration when you already know where everything is? I'd love a whole new world like Termina again, or a re-imagining of Hyrule like in Wind Waker would do. I just don't want the same damn locations.

I want a proper story, more characters and a more epic feel, I don;t want to see the world collapsing and people still going around doing their grocery shopping!

If I can remember clearly, you DISAGREED with me when I stated these very same faults of TP in the past...Were you just in fanboy mode back then? :P

Some random artwork with some blue added to the eyes and a triforce drawn in? Wow, I'm convinced.

I want from Zelda what I've wanted all along, a realistic world. No, I don't mean like the streets of London or something, just as long as it's realistic in the scope of what it's trying to present. MM felt more like a real world than TP, but even then it didn't make sense on a grand scale. Zelda's always been so big, and yet so small at the same time. One "large" (by large I mean it has three streets and a market) town, a couple of uninhabited villages, Hyrule needs to feel like a real kingdom.

Compare it to a world created in most RPGs, where you run accross a world map through a dozen towns and big cities and you'll see where it falls short of creating an epic "world".

I love Zelda games, they have no problem making epic stories, characters, abilities, artwork, dungeons, bosses etc. etc., but for the plot to feel really cinematic you need to put it inside a believable world.

That's so fake my ears start tingling. I don't think Nintendo would call the site "Where roads meet...". They already used "Swords will bleed..." in the original TP-trailer. Too much alike.

Still, it looks pretty decent, but I don't think this is the artistic direction Nintendo will be taking the next Zelda (or any, for that matter). Whoever made this, is sure to have a great amount of hits on his site, though. :wink:

What you you suggest that means them doing?

Maybe take a step away from the tired old game design? Its disgustingly obvious and painful when you can design an entire Zelda game based on this formula alone:

Introduction (Zelda gets captured/ put to sleep etc.)

1 Minor dungeon

Reveal storyline part 1

Go do 3 dungeons (each of which will include getting a weapon which you will then use to kill a boss, eventully rewarding you with a green, red and blue thing)

Reveal storyline part 2

Go do 5/7 dungeons (rinse and repeat as above)

Reveal storyline part 3

Fight final boss (which is Ganon 99% even if he is superfluous)

Notes:

1) Take care to scatter tedious mini missions between dungeons to distract the player from the game design.

2) Sprinkle relatively unrewarding yet horrendously time consuming fetch quest missions throughout the world map to make the player feel like they have to "complete" the game.

This stuff just hurts now. And I probably only let PH get away with this because the characters were actually GOOD and the puzzles kept my brain working. TP grated SO badly with the puzzles that the only one i couldnt do blindfolded was the sky temple.

They need to take it back to what was good about the series. Like the fact that it was actually quite a challenge originally. That it inspired environment exploration, just like Metroid did. Maybe not making the puzzles blindingly obvious might help.

There are lots of things they could do. But at the end of the day they MAKE games and I dont.

Last time the topic came up I got flamed for saying what I am about to repeat. I don't want the next Zelda game until the next Nintendo home console, at least 6-7 years.

Here's why:

1. Time. Self-explanatory really.

2. Make me want it. If I saw a trailer for the next Zelda tomorrow I wouldn't be excited. I just don't want a Zelda now. I couldn't have given a crap if another Skies of Arcadia came out a year after the original, but right now I would kill for it. I want to want it.

3. It doesn't fit with the Wii. Many will disagree but I just don't think Zelda is right for the Wii. It's a staple of classic gaming, and the Wii is the opposite. Bringing it out on the Wii will mean it will have to conform in some way to the Wii vision, which I don't want. I want the game to change (how i'll explain below) but not in the in the Wii way. Not that I don't cream myself over the Wii way, it's just not for Zelda.

4. Wii and the hard drive. The Zelda I vision needs a harddrive. The world lives, it changes, and for that we need downloadable content. I'll cover this in more detail later.

Years back I went through my Zelda idea (everyone has one) and I haven't got the hours to explain what it would be here. But it needs to change. Not because I think the formula has gotten tired, I loved TP. But I don't think Nintendo should wait until it happens. Half of the reason Prime was so brilliant was because people didn't want the change...until they played it.

I think it needs to go back to pure adventure. Drop the sidekick telling you what to do. The closest you should get to companionship is the horse. 80% of the game should be optional. You head to a town to further the story, get lost, find yourself in rolling hills of orange groves and stumble upon a town being attacked by bandits. That's adventure.

Make maps a pain in the ass to get. Make the world so big, so open, that you'll end up having to ask the first guy you see how to get to X place.

Dungeons should still be there. But give them reason, and give them authenticity. Make the puzzles hard, bring in the Zak and Wiki team if you have to. Don't make it just 'use the item you've just found'. Make it hard, make us think. Create community. Create a world.

I'm rambling now, but yeah, take a break Zelda

^ Link as one of Ganons minions would be very interesting to see. All that needs to change is Nintendo's approach to the storyline. But it shouldn't be set in Hyrule though...I would actually love a Zelda game set in Termina with obvious developments (seeing Anju and Kafei as couples, seeing the young Zoras who hatched from the eggs in the Great Bay) to the world and such but this time we delve into the story of the Fierce Deity and the 'tribe' that created/hid the Mask of Majora - It could be a prelude to the story of the Twili.

But then a totally different story would be just as cool.

or a world where ganondorf rules the world and link grows up from one of the slaves in ganons camp no one has faith anymore till they see the courage from a little boy, from there you grew up just like in Ocarina of time

and this time i want to see something like Links father and mother in the game , maybe that they are killed in battle something like that

Last time the topic came up I got flamed for saying what I am about to repeat. I don't want the next Zelda game until the next Nintendo home console, at least 6-7 years.

Here's why:

1. Time. Self-explanatory really.

2. Make me want it. If I saw a trailer for the next Zelda tomorrow I wouldn't be excited. I just don't want a Zelda now. I couldn't have given a crap if another Skies of Arcadia came out a year after the original, but right now I would kill for it. I want to want it.

3. It doesn't fit with the Wii. Many will disagree but I just don't think Zelda is right for the Wii. It's a staple of classic gaming, and the Wii is the opposite. Bringing it out on the Wii will mean it will have to conform in some way to the Wii vision, which I don't want. I want the game to change (how i'll explain below) but not in the in the Wii way. Not that I don't cream myself over the Wii way, it's just not for Zelda.

4. Wii and the hard drive. The Zelda I vision needs a harddrive. The world lives, it changes, and for that we need downloadable content. I'll cover this in more detail later.

Years back I went through my Zelda idea (everyone has one) and I haven't got the hours to explain what it would be here. But it needs to change. Not because I think the formula has gotten tired, I loved TP. But I don't think Nintendo should wait until it happens. Half of the reason Prime was so brilliant was because people didn't want the change...until they played it.

I think it needs to go back to pure adventure. Drop the sidekick telling you what to do. The closest you should get to companionship is the horse. 80% of the game should be optional. You head to a town to further the story, get lost, find yourself in rolling hills of orange groves and stumble upon a town being attacked by bandits. That's adventure.

Make maps a pain in the ass to get. Make the world so big, so open, that you'll end up having to ask the first guy you see how to get to X place.

Dungeons should still be there. But give them reason, and give them authenticity. Make the puzzles hard, bring in the Zak and Wiki team if you have to. Don't make it just 'use the item you've just found'. Make it hard, make us think. Create community. Create a world.

I'm rambling now, but yeah, take a break Zelda

Now I have played Assasins Creed I Most certainly agree. Basically I want an overworld like the one in Creed. If they can't do this on the Wii, I'm happy to wait 5 years or so to see this.

Seriously why do you guys want Zelda games that aren't like Zelda at all? That's what other titles exist for!