NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
rokhed00

No online gaming from Sony next gen

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000813066433/

Suicide. If reports are true, then Sony is entering the next-generation battle without a central online gaming service. What? Why? Who—

According to OPM (via GamesFirst), online gaming on the PlayStation 3 will be left to the discretion of individual publishers—just like on the PS2. While some may argue that this gives publishers greater freedom to design a unique online experience, it also makes it difficult for Sony to control the quality of that experience. And from a gamer’s standpoint, it’s a real pain in the neck, since each publisher will require its own user account (and possibly fees).

With Microsoft blazing trails, and Nintendo showing promise, it’s hard to believe that Sony is so lackluster about jumpstarting a centralized online service. There’s no doubt that online gaming will be an essential component of next-generation consoles. Both Microsoft and Nintendo appear committed to making that a user-friendly experience. Sony on the other hand, well, it may have just turned its back on us…

Sony for the lose tbh. I'm liking the Revo's chances even more now, in the next-gen battle.

Sony for the lose tbh. I'm liking the Revo's chances even more now, in the next-gen battle.

Indeed, its shaping up perfectly. I hope 360 and Revolution are both successfull. Couldn't give a shit about Sony.

No, there will be online gaming on the PlayStation next-gen. However, there won't be an infrastructure in the vein of Xbox Live. It'll be down to the developer.

Besides, I know hundreds and hundreds of people who own a PlayStation 2 and maybe three play online.

Besides, I know hundreds and hundreds of people who own a PlayStation 2 and maybe three play online.

That's because the majority are 'casual' gamers and the rest can't be arsed!! :)

It does have a better chance as it will begin to draw more attention, but its success still ultimately depends on whether or not it is accepted by the general public. All this decision by Sony has done is give people more of a reason to use Nintendo or Microsoft's online service - not the Revolution itself. Consequently, this is more of a reason for more people to start purchasing the Xbox 360 rather than either the Revolution or PS3. The more mature games like MGS and GTA have had delayed releases on the Xbox, and chances are we'll see even more of that next generation as developers begin to search for better, unified online services and the more popular console. I believe we'll see a pretty clean jump of systems with Rockstar.

You have to remember that the PS3 is supposedly going to be mega expencive & uses the EVIL Blu Ray

I know hundreds and hundreds of people who own a PlayStation 2 and maybe three play online.

That's because most of the online games are shite, as is the service available.

No, there will be online gaming on the PlayStation next-gen. However, there won't be an infrastructure in the vein of Xbox Live. It'll be down to the developer.

But if they had a solid online system that microsoft have done, then much more people who own a ps2 would play online.

No, I'm playing the much-needed Devil's Advocate.

Orwise, these kids be spredin' thar lies, and we gots to have sum orda.

It's tempting to plot their downfall, but it's best to just let things play out.

We're not really qualified to make such judgements, and there's a lot of wishful thinking there.

We're not really qualified to make such judgements, and there's a lot of wishful thinking there.

No harm in wishing though, and sometimes wishes do come true.

I'm all for wishing, I am an advocate of wishing (just today, I wished that the kettle would hurry up, I didn't have all day), however, wishing should be a discipline that's utilised with humility and an open mind. In addition, wishing should not be portrayed as to constitute fact.

We are not economists, we are enthusiasts.

Probably, but I'm feeling pretty good right now. It's a little noisy though, isn't it?

Don't try to live so wise,

'Cos you will hate yourself in the end.

em... Naruto?

anywayz... Sony are making a fool of them self IMO... maybe they sould skipp a generation.

I was talking to Haver, heheh!!

That Naruto ending's so cool...probably cos it's the only one in English!!

I cant help but hate Sony recently so I couldnt care less. Unless PS3 turns out to be awesome.

EDIT

Akeboshi rocks!!

the thing is that PS2 was released a good while before the GC and XBOX this gen (over a year it had to get the sales) but with this upcoming console war the PS3 is in a bad postition with nothing new to bring to the plate, a year after the 360, the uglyist console ever made by man, the uglyist sex toy controller made by man, expensive to make games for and poor online....hmm...i dont like sonys chances.

ALL HAIL THE TOASTER

Sign in to follow this