NEurope
Blackfox

Remembrance Sunday

Reminding you all that Remembrance Sunday is today and there is a two minute silence at 11am.

Cenotaph coverage is from 10.30am on the beeb.

A chance to remember and celebrate the dead who have died for our freedom during wars - something everyone should observe, regardless of political differences.

Glad people still remember. It's not just The Great War and WWII but for veterans of every war since.

I'm not sure how this will play down at my work today....

Everywhere I've ever worked has always adhered to it and so they should. What annoys me is the ignorant tw@ts who ignore it and for example come up to the till expecting to be served.

A very important day in our history as a country and also great to see it adapting to support the lads out in Iraq and others serving all over the world who have died in conflicts since 1945.

Me and my Dad are off to the cenotaph in our local town to remember...Please everyone regardless of what you feel about Politics, War, History etc... take the time out of your day to remember those who have died for us.

Didn't go anywhere, but I watched my CPU clock and paused my music for a couple of minutes as a personal mark of respect.

I was asleep so I believe I was silent.

However I bought a Poppy last week because I'm pr0.

Unless you snore.

watched the bbcs coverage. Found it moving knowing next remberance sunday i will be in the 'stan

I was at home alone so I was silent. I always get a poppy as a sign of respect.

Really annoys me when people don't pay repects on this day. The college I went to never did two minutes silence. Me and few other guys just stood up silently at 11.

A chance to remember and celebrate the dead who have died for our freedom during wars - something everyone should observe, regardless of political differences.

This is one thing I dislike about Quakers - they never wear poppies, yet if it wasn't for those who fought died in WWII, and especially the RAF pilots who did, then they would probably not be in a position to have much of a choice about wearing it or not.

I myself am a pacifist, but I still see fit to remember those who died for our freedom.

Unless you snore.

I have been quiet whilst being awake, so I know I was silent then, just because it wasn't at the desired time means if they're not happy they can blow my wad.

I forgot about the 2 minutes silence but I was home alone so there was a good chance I didn't say anything anyway....

I marched for this in the cadets once. Left, left, left right left, all that malarky.

Odd how it ended up being on Remembrance day (the canadian equivalent, always on november 11).

Odd how it ended up being on Remembrance day (the canadian equivalent, always on november 11).
The canadian equivalent is for the same thing, 11am at 11/11 - recalling the end of WWI the same day in 1918. We just tend to do our parades on the nearest sunday.

It's always on 11 November for us; we get a day off from work/school... though of course today it's a Sunday.

Anyway, I don't know about the 2 minutes of silence (not sure we do that?) but there's a lot of ceremonies going on today to remember those who fought in WWI and II (and since a couple of years to remember all those who fought in any war).

Respect to all those who have fought and are still fighting (even though I'm against war).

The canadian equivalent is for the same thing, 11am at 11/11 - recalling the end of WWI the same day in 1918. We just tend to do our parades on the nearest sunday.

I know they're the same day this year, that almost never happens though because we kept skipping the sunday because of leap years and stuff.

Hmmm, I was at church today and they didn't do anything and only really mentioned it in passing. I was most disappointed. However I have taken a few minutes to listen to The Pogues Waltzing Matilda and remember. Sums up how I feel about it, many people see it as a time to celebrate war and its part in freedom, I see it as a time to reflect on the waste of lives due to such a stupid weakness of humanity.

I forgot about the 2 minutes silence but I was home alone so there was a good chance I didn't say anything anyway....

I marched for this in the cadets once. Left, left, left right left, all that malarky.

I was in cadets as well....ahh the days...

I slept through it, but I have strong views on it, so that counts.

I got my White poppies on friday night, so I couldn't wear them at school...

I'll just wear one tomorrow.

Only two people fainted at our remembrance service this year. The record is seven, which happenned when I was in year 10 (one poor little year seven dropped to the floor right in front of me).

Only two people fainted at our remembrance service this year. The record is seven, which happenned when I was in year 10 (one poor little year seven dropped to the floor right in front of me).

What? Are you doing two minutes silence or two minutes holding your breath?

What? Are you doing two minutes silence or two minutes holding your breath?

It takes about twenty minutes to get the entire school into the hall, then the service takes another twenty minutes during which some of the younger pupils feel quite faint from standing for so long.

It takes about twenty minutes to get the entire school into the hall, then the service takes another twenty minutes during which some of the younger pupils feel quite faint from standing for so long.

Yeah i think the rememberence service is actually pretty good (minus the fainting). it's a shame some people talk through it (like your brother lol).

I always respected the two minute silence, however, when I was in Year 7, I remember someone was making me laugh, no matter how much I tried to hold it back, I burst out laughing.