NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Post Your Mario Memories!

With less than a week to go I thought I would start this little topic and hopefully it will go better than the Metroid one :)

Just about every gamer has heard and played of Mario. From Super Mario Bros. to Super Mario Sunshine the series has impacted old and young gamers alike and left us all with fond memories. So, in celebration of the release of Super Mario Galaxy let us share our favourite Mario memories!

Super Mario Bros. ( NES )

I will start with the original Super Mario game. I first played this in my friends house on his birthday. The NES had just come out and he had got Mario with it for his birthday. We all huddled around a tiny TV and played all afternoon. To this day I can still remember us all trying to manipulate Marios jumps by moving the pad in the direction Mario was jumping.

Super Mario Bros 3 ( NES )

A classic that everyone should buy ( its on the VC now people ! ) The great memories I have of this are just all the suits and power ups Mario had. The frog and Racoon suit go down in history but for me the best was the Hammer Bros Suit!

Another memory from this game is from a movie. I was down my mates and we were watching The Wizard ( a movie with Fred Savage which was basically a huge Nintendo advert, awesome ) and at the end of the film the kid enters a gaming contest and plays Mario 3. It was here that I seen for the first time the warp and we went upstairs after the film and tried it out.

Super Mario World ( SNES )

Fast forward a few years and the SNES entered the stage. Me and my brother split the cost of the SNES and picked one up with a few games, SMW was one of them.

From the first time that I hatched Yoshi I was in love with the game. Finding all the secrets took me ages ( no internet back then :) ) and discovering the Star World for the first time was an amazing suprise. To this day I still remember all of the secret exits from each of the levels and and snapped it up straight away when it was unleashed on the VC.

For me Super Mario World is the best Mario game out there, followed closely by.....

Super Mario 64 ( N64 )

The game that brought platforming games kicking and screaming into 3D. I will keep this one short as I dont want to steal everyone elses memories/thoughts. This memory had nothing to do with the new style of gameplay or even the great graphics, it was all about the start screen.

Being able to pull on Marios cheeks and make different faces with your N64 pad is a great memory. I remember finding it out for the first time and everytime I booted the game up I always had abit carry on with Marios face :)

All Mario Games

Lastly I will have to mention the music in the Mario games. There isnt a Mario platforming game that I dont know at least 1 song/tune from. Even to this day I whistle the first level tune from SMW and even the Sunshine theme. With the music in Galaxy being rated very highly I can see the tradition of whistling Mario tunes will live on with a new one ones to choose from.

Your turn peeps!

My favourite memory would have to be playing Super Mario Bros. for the first time. I can't remember where I was or how old I was, the one thing that sticks in my mind is - "Doo doo doo doo doo doo, doo!" It's probably one of the happiest gaming tunes ever, and I find that I frequently whistle or hum it on an almost daily basis (slightly worrying, maybe?).

My memory? Running around Peach's castle in Mario 64! I was absolutely gobsmacked that i was controlling Mario in a 3D world with an analogue stick controller!

Also, the many 'wow's' what that game offered, especially sliding down an ice slope racing a penguin!

:D

Let's see now...

Super Mario Bros.: Finding the warp pipes for the first time. I was like 4 years old, back then, playing at my cousin's. Finding those by myself was quite rewarding at the time.

Super Mario Bros. 3: Just playing it. Everything I saw was really well done. The suits, the secret pipes, the world map, etc. For a 4 Year-old, that game was never tiring, even if I repeated the levels a few times.

Super Mario Bros. 2: I played this one later, when I was about 6, at a friend's house. Great game in it's own right. My best memories of this game involve the scary key guardians (think SA-X).

Super Mario Land: Nice game. The best memories involve reaching the later stages and completing them. This game was harder than SMB.

Super Mario Land 2: Oh boy, I love this one. Everyone at school had it. Finding the secret levels (including Space World), mastering the techniques to speed through them, was pretty fun. I felt like I knew that game like the back of my hand.

Also, the Easy Mode. I first beat the game on Easy Mode (which was a surprise by itself). Then, beating Wario's castle on normal... Very few managed to do that back then.

(I guess this game is my equivalent of Super Mario World)

Donkey Kong: Gameboy version. This one was even more popular than SML 2. I loved it every time I solved a hard puzzle. Especially if the game wasn't mine and they were ahead of me.

Super Mario 64: Great, great game. When I first saw it, I just wanted to get it. When I did, it didn't disappoint. Everything just clicked well in the game. And it never felt boring. Never.

If I had to pick a moment, I'd choose finding some of the secret passages/rooms.

I like these threads. Keep'em coming. : peace:

(P.S.: What was wrong with the Metroid one? It had a pretty decent response.)

Super Mario 64: The pure unadulterated fun of it all fuelled my thirst for an N64 (which I eventually never got); but I still remember going round my mates house and playing this game for the first time. The penguin silde is a classic magic Ninty touch and alot of fun considering the simplicity. I hope Galaxy is jam-packed full of these kind of iconic moments that make mario games so special.

The memory of beating Super Mario World about 10 times, then by chance discovering there was a Star World, Special Zone, different coloured Yoshi's, more than one switch tower and that Secret Zone with the powerups. All AFTER the first 10 times. Since, I've completed it about another 10 times.

Super Mario 64: Sega didn't do well after the Mega Drive, so I got a PlayStation. After a few years, I played on my cousin's N64 and Super Mario 64. Within a week, the PlayStation was sold and that Christmas a N64 was mine. The game was just so fun and so fluid.

I don't really have much to say about any other Mario game...

my very first time playing a mario game was in fact super mario all stars and it's one of the best collections ever.

ill go into more detail later:)

The first Bowser level in Mario 64 was epic, I was really flabbergasted by that.

Super Mario Land on Gameboy. First Mario game I played, first game I owned I believe.

I could only beat three or four levels. It started from the beginning when you died.

Had some great enemies that never appeared again, as far as I know.

super mario land, one of the hardest games i've ever played even to this day, so many tricky bits you had to get right

The same day i got an NES, my parents took it away from me. Reason? Playing SMB non-stop for 6 hours.

I was particularly proud of finally making the tiny ledge jump on world 8-1, as seen in my video here

And by my video , i mean someone else's

An odd memory here...in amongest all the great memories there is one that scares... For some reason I came to own Mario's Missing and what a load of turd it was... I'm not even sure what it was on (know it was on PC and SNES but I seem to think I had it on Amiga) but vaguely remember my mum telling me it was the latest Mario title (didn't own a SNES, had a MD and Amiga)remember reading tons of historical text and not been interesting completed the first world then got bored and went back to playing Zool (now that was an awesome game)

Favourite Mario Memory 1:

Taking a crowbar to my spare copy of Super Mario World to find out precisely where the "Annoying" was.

Favourite Mario Memory 2:

Playing the Arcade Super Mario Bros 2 with a friend all the way to the end one saturday at my local swimming pool :)

My favourite Mario memory is from Mario Bros. 3. I was about 5 or 6, and it was one of the few games I had for the NES, and me and my Dad used to play it at all the time. We used to leave the NES on all night so we could save our progress, I remember a few nights when there was a powercut and coming down the next morning distraught that we had to start all over again!

First Mario memory is the original Super Mario Bros. on a friend's NES, before I got my own. I was pretty rubbish at it, to be perfectly honest, I used to die all the time, and I was always shoved with Luigi. Then again I was only about 4.

My fave memories are probably of SMB3. Finding all the white blocks and warp whistles, the secret suits and the unique ending messages you got from the King if you won in tanuki/frog suit. The letters from the Princess. Also after finishing it a few times I used to stick the game genie in and play the whole game as fire mario, or enter the infinite lives cheat or skip to world 8. P-Winging over the first tank level and swimming under the second one xD

I remember receiving my Mario 64 game when I was away from home, at Xmas so my N64 was not with me. I was so infatuated by the game that I've studied the German instruction booklet around 6 times (I don't know german).

Remember the N64 kid? It was not that strong but I really got out of my mind when I unwrapped the gift paper.

My mom and my dad went to Spain just to get it for me because it was all sold out in Portugal.

Now that I think about it. It was probably the most exciting moment of my whole life! How sad.

One of the best memories was finishing the secret Special Levels in Super Mario World (Gnarley, Awesome, Tubular etc) and seeing "YOU ARE A SUPER PLAYER" spelt out in coins. I was so proud of myself I nearly cried. Then to my surprise the Map screen graphics changed colour and I thought - holy shit the games completely changed and it's all new again!! Sadly that wasn't entirely the case but it was still very cool.

Hooray! Finally, I can access this post! My trusty laptop never fails me. :wink:

now, for that trip down memorylane:

Super Mario Bros.

First game I ever saw on NES. Boy, was that magic. Imagine pushing left on a cross, and that dude on screen actually moved to the left! Some kind of black magic, surely?

Not downloading it, because I have it SMB Deluxe on GBC, with The Lost Levels to boot. :smile:

Super Mario Bros 2.

This game will always remind me of Easter. When I play this game, I can taste the chocolate and the sugar. And bunnies hopping about! Yes, I got this for easter. :wink:

Not downloading, for owning Super Mario Advance.

Super Mario Bros 3

Back in the days without internet (yes, youngsters, those days did exist), you had to rely on the craptastic Official Nintendo Mag. Printed on crap paper, by the way. Anyways, I walked in a store one day, and I saw a game that looked remarkably like SMB. It was undeniably Mario, so I thought it was perhaps some kind of selfmade demo of some sorts, as someone wanted to show off its coding skills with a part of self made SMB with new sprites. You can understand my surprised when all of the sudden a giant Super Mario Bros. 3 (three!!) came falling out of the sky! There it was, an American import of SMB3, and overhere I hadn't even heard about it! Next issue of ONM, they "announced" SMB3. Now, they say a word in Nintendo HQ in Japan, it's on the net 5 minutes later. :heh:

Not downloading for owning Super Mario Advance 4

Super Mario Land

Very un-Mario in settings, but still a great game. I can still whistle the theme of the first world! :smile: The first game I had on my gameboy. Imagine: a Mario in the pal of your hand! Brain... is... melting...

Super Mario Land 2

Peculiar, but oozing with charm! It was unlike other any other Mario, but it was fun to play, had plenty of powerups, great graphics, had a very interesting setting and introduced Wario! One of the best original GB-games IMO.

Super Mario World

First playing SMW is like the first time a blind man sees. You realise that after this, nothing will be the same again. Magical. Truely magical. it was... waw. Evey other post has billions of memorable reasons from SMW, so no point for me repeating them. Ah, Bowser in glorious Mode 7...

For some reason, the song "21th Century Digital Boy" from bad Religion make me think of this game...

Not downloading for owning Super Mario Advance 2

Super Mario All-Stars

It has SMB 1, 2, 3 and Lost Levels (later SMW too), all with glorious graphics. C'mon: 4 (5) games for the price of one. Now that was value!! And that lovely title-screen! And look later: Nintendo brought almost each game apart, full price each, to GBA. Cheap, but clever marketing...

Super Mario 64

When you had a N64, you had to have SM64, and i was no exception; i bought this alongside Star Wars: Shadow Of The Empire. I knew 3D graphics because of my Saturn, but I never experience true 3D-gameplay until then.

And once again bad religion crops up. this time it's "Misery and Famine". Why? Don't know. Usually I never listen to Bad Religion... Guess it's connected to Mario in my brain. :wtf:

Super Mario Sunshine

Hmm. There always has to be one, eh. I'll admit it. As fond as I was of previous Mariogames, I just didn't like Sunshine. Horrible cutscenes and earshattering voice-acting, no true power-ups for Mario, an uncharismatic Delphino island, the lack of wonder and imagination and some truely frustrating moment (for all the bad reasons) made this the only Mario platformer I don't enjoy replaying.

Heh, I neglected to post in the Metroid thread, but I'll compensate by posting here. I'll make it short though..

Super Mario Bros 3

The first time I had some real gametime with this, was when I rented it. I had a whole week with the game. I couldn't get passed the first brown castle in world one. Crap, or just impatient? I thought it was a dead end at the point were the ceiling comes down.. I never waited long enough to see the door appear. Then again, I believe I didn't realize at the time there was a safespot for the crushing ceiling. It never occurred to me to fly above the ceiling to get a whistle either..

Super Mario 64

Never had a Super Nintendo back in the day, So this was the first Mario game I owned since Super Mario Bros 2, and actually the first game I bought myself. I bought a N64 as soon as I could, and although I couldn't get home fast enough, I played Super Mario 64 in the store to get a quick feel what it was like. It was my first experience with the N64 controller I believe, and as a result, my Mario kept running circles around those bomb-ombs.. Oh well, don't worry, I got better eventually ;).

Super Mario Bros:

Once played this game at night in my room when everyone was in bed and I was not supposed to be playing the NES. Was too tired to lift my head from the pillow so lay looking at the screen side-on (Mario moving top-to-bottom down my field of vision) in pitch black room for an hour. When I eventually got up to turn it off my head spun and I collapsed on the floor. Kids: Don’t play Mario in the dark when tired. Even thought its fucking amazing.

Mario 2

Hated every minute of this potion-throwing secret-door-searching piece of shit.

Mario 3

Remember that TV ad where the camera panned out and loads of people made up mario’s face(did I dream this ad?). When I got it, it was like some man from the future dropped of a game from his future world of awesomness.

Mario World

Best game I had played.

No real, emotional memories of the others. Maybe galaxy will change that!

[..]

Mario 3

Remember that TV ad where the camera panned out and loads of people made up mario’s face(did I dream this ad?).

[..]

No, you didn't. I also remember the Zelda 2 ad, but somehow I can't remember anything else between the NES and the DS/Wii era (== Nicole Kidman). Except for the Perfect Dark commecial.

Great fucking thread.

My first memory of playing a Mario game, or at least a game with Mario in it, is when I was about 5. I had got an Intellivision from my parents for Christmas, and got the game Donkey Kong with it. I loved that shit man, and used to play it for hours and hours.

After that I played Mario Bros 1 and 2 on the NES at a friends, and then after a while, Mario Bros 3. I was still around around 5 or 6 at the time, but I had such great days playing that shit around my mate's house.

Then in 1990, or around 1990, my friend got a SNES with Mario World. All I had was a Mega Drive, but when I played on his Mario game, I just loved it. We'd spend hours and hours playing it, getting all of the secret routes, and finishing it 100%. Mario All Stars then came out, and I got my own SNES in 94 with a copy of it. Finished all of the games on the disk, and loved it.

Now around 95 or 96, I seen a clip of Mario 64 on TV. Think it was Gamesmaster, but I'm not sure. Anyway, it was Mario in the haunted house level, and fuck me, I was amazed. 3D graphics and everything, I was just stunned. When the N64 came out in the UK, 2 months later I got an N64 with a copy of Mario. Fucking amazing. I remember at first it was hard to control, 'cos it was the first time I had used an analog stick, but once I got used to it, the game just felt beautiful.

OK, Mario Sunshine. I got it in 2002 for my GC, and thought it was class. :) Graphics were great, and for a brief time, I thought it was the best game ever made. I've completed it 3 times over all, and loved every moment of it

Now I'm waiting for Galaxy to arrive, and I've got a feeling, this is going to become my new favourite game ever!!!!!

Super Mario World. From the moment I played that game when i was 6-7 i was in love with it; it was gaming perfection. I didn't think it could get much better until i played Mario 64; just being able to control mario in 3d was incredible.

I was playing Super Mario 64 one time and i was in Snowmans Land i think. I was trying to fire myself up to the penguin going across the platform infront of the snowman. After the 20th failing i threw the controler down and cried

Sign in to follow this