NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Kirkatronics

whats perfect for your computer! (FREE)

i have done a little searching and have come up with a few programs which greatly benefit your windows system! FOR FREE!

AVG antivirus [download here]

the bset antivirus i could find, was AVG. it was rated highly on most review sites, so give it a try.

what is it?

AVG Free Edition is the well-known antivirus protection tool. AVG Free is available free of charge to home users for the life of the product. Rapid virus database updates are available for the lifetime of the product, thereby providing the high level of detection capability that millions of users around the world trust to protect their computers. AVG Free is easy to use and will not slow your system down (low system resource requirements. Highlights include automatic update functionality, the AVG Resident Shield, which provides real-time protection as files are opened and programs are run, free Virus Database Updates for the lifetime of the product, and AVG Virus Vault for safe handling of infected files.

[screenshot]

heres a review:

This antiviral program offers rock-solid protection for no financial commitment. AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition provides all the necessities, including a tool for scanning your hard drive and e-mail, as well as a real-time shield to prevent infections.

By default, the application is set to search for new virus definitions daily, but you always can use the scheduling tool to change this. Should a virus create serious system problems, AVG creates a rescue disk to scan your computer in MS-DOS mode. The program doesn't tax your system when scanning or when running in the background and always proved effective in our tests.

The interface can't be described as beautiful, yet it is mostly simple to navigate. Sure, you can plunk down a lot of cash for an antiviral application with more features, but AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition delivers the goods for free.

AdAware adware remover [download]

adaware is a great antispyware tool, its easy to use and fast!

what is it?

With the ability to scan your RAM, Registry, hard drives, and external storage devices for known data-mining, advertising, and tracking components, Ad-Aware 2007 easily can clean your system, allowing you to maintain a higher degree of privacy while you surf the Web.

Ad-Aware 2007 includes a redesigned engine, improved code sequence identification, incremental definition updates, one-click Web-history cleanup, multiple browser support, and other new features. Version 7.0.2.5 is a bug-fixing release.

[screenshot]

and heres the review:

Lavasoft has been a leader in the anti-spyware industry for some time now and the service they provide the entire Internet community by making such a great product available for free is tremendous. Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition contains tons of improvements and updates from the previous version of Ad-Aware One of the key things Lavasoft did was to harden the program against being altered or disabled by malware by encrypting the preference files. They improved the memory scanning and created a new technology (CSI: Code Sequence Identification) that can identify new or unknown variants of spyware threats.

The graphical user interface has been improved. It is cleaner and more intuitive and contains support for graphic skins so that you can customize the look and feel of the interface to suit your tastes.

Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition supports scanning CAB files and Lavasoft increased the scanning speed. They also improved scanning of the Hosts file to detect any tampering with that to deter potential phishing attacks.

The bottom line is that spyware is fairly rampant and that when a tool this good is also free there is no reason why everyone should not download and run it periodically to keep their computer clean of spyware pests.

NOTE:

always keep your windows fully upto date, and virus free!

dont download what you dont know, and always ask what your accepting over the internet.

They are free right? It's annoying to downlad a program, scan the computer for several hours, find xxx viruses only to find out you need to pay to get rid of them. If not, I will download then right away when I get my new computer tomorrow. Thanks.

AVG and AVG Anti-Spyware are both awesome programs, that pretty much everybody already knows about.:) Spose it never hurts to share your good finds though...

A lot of us on here already use AVG, great software.

its nice to just tell people about things, most people wont know of it.

AVG and AVG Anti-Spyware are both awesome programs, that pretty much everybody already knows about.:) Spose it never hurts to share your good finds though...

i dont think ive used AVG-spyware, i minght give it a try :D

There used to be a thread of programs like this, did it just slip down the thread list?

i made a post a while ago on a forum with lists of about 200 different prgrams.

and yes, therye boith 100% free.

watch out for stuff saying 100% free scan, theyll most likely charge you for the fix.. but the scans free...

EDIT: im only on about FREEBIES, avg-spyware isnt free

EDIT: im only on about FREEBIES, avg-spyware isnt free

You must be looking at the wrong place then. I got AVG Anti-Spyware for free on download.com or something. I think it told me eventually to buy it to continue receiving updates but it's still giving me updates and I haven't bought it yet...

Is AVG better than avast! antivirus?

the free avg is better than the free version of avast.

but normal avast is better than avg free

The following free anti viruses are better than AVG on paper.

Kaspersky version 6.0.2.614

AntiVir version 7.03.01.53 Classic

Of course your choice should also consider resource usage, interface and ease of use.

I use NOD32 myself, it has a great detection rate, the best heuristics in the industry and some of the lowest resource usage. I would recommend it to anyone. Of course it isn't free.

Hmm i read the title as "What's your perfect computer! (Free)"

Like a what PC would you have if money was no object.

There used to be a thread of programs like this, did it just slip down the thread list?

There was a sticky, but i removed it a while ago along with a few others that were rarely/never used. It's still in here somewhere, might re-stick it if people want it back up

Hmm i read the title as "What's your perfect computer! (Free)"

Like a what PC would you have if money was no object.

then you buy a new computer whenever it runs slow :D

There was a sticky, but i removed it a while ago along with a few others that were rarely/never used. It's still in here somewhere, might re-stick it if people want it back up

I though it was a useful resource as long as its kept up to date.

Sign in to follow this