NEurope
Guest Jordan

20 Stupid Laws!

Those wishing to use a television must apply for a license.

Erm thats not a stupid law. (Well it is, but it's a different kind of stupid). We all have to pay a tv licence.

Wisconson

-Butter substitutes are not allowed to be served in state prisons.

http://www.lawguru.com/weird/part01.html

England

-Those wishing to use a television must apply for a license.

http://www.lawguru.com/weird/part02.html

Those two aren't weird,actually - the first is actually an extension on the state-wide ban on butter substitutes, to protect the state's many dairy farmers.

The second, is, well what pays for the Beeb - possibly the best state television channels in the world.

10. It is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls of York, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow (2%)

Thats me staying well clear of York then...

England

-Those wishing to use a television must apply for a license.

http://www.lawguru.com/weird/part02.html

other quotes from that site...

* Those wishing to use a television must apply for a license.

* It is illegal to leave baggage unattended.

* Picking up abandoned baggage is as act of terrorism.

They're not very specific :P I really don't believe that any of those rules are accurate.

You are totally legally allowed to own a TV and use it to watch DVDs or play games without requiring a license. The last two sound like some bizarrre twisting of those train announcements...

That law about killing Scottish people in York is ridiculous.

We should be allowed to kill Scottish people wherever we want!

You are totally legally allowed to own a TV and use it to watch DVDs or play games without requiring a license. The last two sound like some bizarrre twisting of those train announcements...

Not true, if your TV is found to pick up a single of any type you have to pay, even if you don't watch or the signal is not strong enough to watch it. I know because I have spent much time trying to get around it.

Not true, if your TV is found to pick up a single of any type you have to pay, even if you don't watch or the signal is not strong enough to watch it. I know because I have spent much time trying to get around it.

The TV licence office told me you don't have to pay if you have no areal attached :/

Erm thats not a stupid law. (Well it is, but it's a different kind of stupid). We all have to pay a tv licence.

I didn't know that, in Canada we don't so I just saw it and thought it sounded like a stupid law.

And thats partially true, if you can prove to the TV licencing people that you don't recieve the BBC channels and only the channels with adverts like ITV and Channel 4, which can be tricky you can avoid the TV licence as well.

The TV licence office told me you don't have to pay if you have no areal attached :/

They give you a definition of aerial? If it picks up a signal, its an aerial, doesn't have to be a coat hanger sticking out the back of your TV.

They told me that you don't if you're just using it for Games Consoles/DVD player with no areal attached (i.e. all you get is static).

They give you a definition of aerial? If it picks up a signal, its an aerial, doesn't have to be a coat hanger sticking out the back of your TV.

You need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, set-top boxes, video or DVD recorders, computers or mobile phones to watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown on TV.

If you use a set-top box with a hi-fi system or another device that can only be used to produce sounds and can't display TV programmes, and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment, you don't need a TV Licence.

^that's from the official site, and it simply says that so long sa you don't watch or record programmes as they're being shown, you don't need a licence. Regardless of how well your tv shows static.

They told me that you don't if you're just using it for Games Consoles/DVD player with no areal attached (i.e. all you get is static).

That's exactly what I said in a previous post :)

That law about killing Scottish people in York is ridiculous.

We should be allowed to kill Scottish people wherever we want!

Totally agree.

Fuck 'em.

That's exactly what I said in a previous post :)

For some reason, I didn't notice the "don't" in your post. I'm getting old.

When is it legal for me to wee on a pregnant woman?

When your pregnant? ! If i've learnt anything from this thread it's that expecting women can piss freely on the world before God plays his little joke on them.

Here's a daft one, in America you're legally allowed to buy and own a gun. Hmmmmm.

But they have to protect themselves from the King of England!

But they have to protect themselves from the King of England!

Simpson's?

I like the Family Guy sketch:

"Do you think it's a little misleading?"

"What's misleading about it? It couldn't be clearer. Every American has a right to hang a pair of Bear arms on his wall."