NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

Immortality is a Possibilty!

That's a really cool find.

Gaggle makes a good point, but so does AshMat. I think us humans have got the balance just right. If you do something long enough, eventually you get bored and tired and just want to cease doing it. I think living would be the same, especially if you kept getting older, then younger, then repeat.

Nah, aging and death is there for a reason. It would just be completely unsustainable to have immortality, and anyway it would suck quite a bit. Where would be your motivation to do anything when you have all the time in the world to do it within? I guess, maybe, in a sense we do live on in part. Our offspring live on through parts of our being.

By the way, that character from Gargoyles...his name was Macbeth, right?

Yes I do believe it was, and that show rules.

If humans could be immortal one of two things would likely happen, one everyone became immortal and we over populate the planet to the point that we somehow mange to blow the place up much sooner than it's supposed to.... unless becoming immortal also makes you sterile and the birth rate drops to zero, but if we can't reproduce then haven't we lost one of the characteristics of "life".

Or two only a small percentage of the population can and we end up with a "Highlander" situation with all the "immortals" finding each other to cut off the others heads, gain their strengths and become the last

I wouldn't want immortality, seeing everyone you know pass on and you stuck here, that would be hell

Some excellent points made, really great topic. But isn't it just incredible that there is such a species? I want to say "Jesus Christ!"...But I dunno anymore lol.

I feel that secrets of life lay in the depths of our oceans, and its fitting that humanity's biggest secrets should lay in water - what we need to live.

Mokong you raise great points...Though I wouldn't mind being sterile in place of immortal, its selfish I know but the future seems just too amazing, namely traversing the galaxy and the possibilities of meeting new races or even the advent of iPods grafted to your brain/head..o_O.

Great comments though.

man.. that makes for a really cool sci-fi idea.. totally using it for a story :)

Imagine, a society where those who have never been hurt in anyway live forever; but gettin a scratch or bleeding means your life is limited to, say, another 70 years. Imagine the upper echeleons of society cushioning themselves from the rest of society, while the majoirty who have been injured in some form are complaining about their immortality - and then a terrorist group starts trying to injure the immortals, trying to create equality and not caring about dying so long as they at least cut a couple of immortals before tehy die..

man... awesome. Definitely going to have to do a short story on that.

I hate the thought of being immortal.

I mean, You could do every single thing there is to do in the world, and still be alive at the end. What would come next? : /

Fantastic point.

Seriously, though? Immortality sucks. Satisfaction is the death of desire. What would you live for??

Frankly, I think the number of possible things to do has a greater order of infinity than the amount of time an immortal lives for, so you could never do everything, especially as the world would keep changing.

No - what it's saying is that the epithelial cells of a human oesophagus are able to change cell type, to intestinal goblet cells. This is not a desirable condition in it's own right (it can cause conditions like heartburn), and it also makes the sufferer more likely to contract a form of cancer with an 80% mortality rate, probably because the gene silencing in the nucleus is messed about with when the cell changes type, which could cause genetic errors.

Anyway, I do not think I'd like to be immortal... I wouldn't want things to go on forever.

Forgot to thank you for this 'schooling', great stuff...Damn, 80% mortality...But I bet some underground scientists are doing these experiments somewhere somehow, I mean its so easy to adopt a life these days. (looks at a few war torn African countries).

Fantastic point.

Seriously, though? Immortality sucks. Satisfaction is the death of desire. What would you live for??

Whatever comes next, the world is vastly different from what it was 20 years ago and it seems to be changing exponentially. I'd be totally up for immortality.

Forgot to thank you for this 'schooling', great stuff...Damn, 80% mortality...But I bet some underground scientists are doing these experiments somewhere somehow, I mean its so easy to adopt a life these days. (looks at a few war torn African countries).

It's not mad scientists experimenting on people - this change just randomly happens to some individuals. ...apparently 10% of those complaining of heartburn have the condition.

Whatever comes next, the world is vastly different from what it was 20 years ago and it seems to be changing exponentially. I'd be totally up for immortality.

I'm with you completely. Everything is always changing, evolving, adapting and so forth so you could never end up doing everything. I'd love to be immortal.

Those of you not past your mid twenties will eventually, out of the blue, have a sudden realization of your own mortality and it will scare the living poop out of you! It happened to me when watching a bad movie of all things. After that I'm sure you'd take immortality over the alternatives.

Anyway, those of you who believe in an afterlife are technically immortal anyway, just not in your current body.

Those of you not past your mid twenties will eventually, out of the blue, have a sudden realization of your own mortality and it will scare the living poop out of you! It happened to me when watching a bad movie of all things. After that I'm sure you'd take immortality over the alternatives.

Anyway, those of you who believe in an afterlife are technically immortal anyway, just not in your current body.

I view my mortality as I do the weekend. You know, when its Friday evening you have a slight ecstatic feel that the weekend will be long and enjoyable full of optimism and such...But then Sunday evening arrives and you realise thats your weekend over already.

Being 21 I would say I'm currently in Friday night/Saturday morning...I know that one day I'm just going to wake up 50 (possibly after having a dream of being 21) and wonder 'WTF!?'...:/..Life eh?

As long as they are video games, I want to play them, so yes been immortal would be awesome for me! :D

You would still die pretty fast of a disease or from an accident. If that was to be applied on Humans, a lot of other pathological problems would arise too.

And I'm quite curious about what's on the other side of things (if there's any), so I wouldn't plan to live more than I naturally would.