NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

Immortality is a Possibilty!

An immortal species: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turritopsis_nutricula

Transdifferation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transdifferentiation

Jeez...There is an immortal animal!? This jellyfish apparently reverts back into juvenile form...(Think a 40 year old turning back into a teenager!). Surely its only a matter of time before this can be possible for humans? If there was a human experiment where you had a 50% chance of being immortal and, say, a 50% chance of getting cancer (or something) from the failed attempt, would you volunteer?

If immortality could be achieved, how do you think it would be applied? Like at what price? A Billion?

I...dunno. Sure I would love to be apart of the future, see the voyage into space/meet aliens etc, but I would hate to feel 'tired' of living. Anyone played Soul Calibur 3? Its a bit like how Zasalamel felt.... What about you?

I wouldn't want to be immortal. I'd like to live a long and fruitful life. (But not being a decrepit vegetable for eighty years)

Also, over-population would get on my nerves a bit.

I hate the thought of being immortal.

I mean, You could do every single thing there is to do in the world, and still be alive at the end. What would come next? : /

I wouldn't mind being immortal. I'd be just to damn curious to see where the world might go.

Well copying something like this to humans is surely a long way off but I wouldn't want it anyways.

The fact that we can't relive our youth for instance makes us think more about how we want to spend our time and I think society as we know it would probably collapse if everyone could change his age as he saw fit.

Besides I think it's actually quite a terrible thing to live forever. I remember that one character from Gargoyles (Cartoon about scottish Gargoyles who have been cursed and live in present day now) who lived for a thousand years and his only aim was to become mortal again.

I hate the thought of being immortal.

I mean, You could do every single thing there is to do in the world, and still be alive at the end. What would come next? : /

Suicide. Would be the only way to go.

life choices would become irrelevant if there was such a thing, life is defined by its finite nature...having said that I'd probably give it a go...

Suicide. Would be the only way to go.

Does not Compute.

*explode*

Being immortal would be awesome.

Truly awesome.

Truly.

I would want to be immortal to see how th world develops and what happens in life with the planet, if there's alien contact and how fat technology can go. All sounds so interesting.

In the end after I done everything in a few millenia (or longer) then i'd commit suicide.

But, if youre immortal, you can't die right?

Im confused if this isnt the case.

But, if youre immortal, you can't die right?

Im confused if this isnt the case.

In the case of the jellyfish it can die by injury etc. Its just that it won't die 'naturally'.

Well in this case, the immortallity is provided you dont like....have an accident, Ie impossible to die from old age which is the only guarentee of life (Everyone dies, if not from other methods, then old age will get them) of course.

And this would be awesome. If you truly didnt want to live anymore, then kill yourself. As painless as possible.

The thought of immortality scares me, immortality without aging is less scary, but still creepy.

I rather fly or some shit like that.

Does anyone get the transdifferentiation article? Does it mean humans have an 80% chance of doing what the jellyfish is able to do?

Immortality until you get injured sounds amazing.

I mean, it'd be like a game, trying not to get hurt to stay alive.

Living for ages, seeing the new technical developments etc would be amazing.

As other said, I would love to be immortal just out of curiosity. Our current lifespan is too low to learn/understand everything.

One big problem would be our data storage, the brain can only take so much, I imagine at some point we would even forget who our parents are, or our childhood.

If we were immortal, our brain would change, we could possibly remember more things, but just like now, we'd forget what happened a long time ago. What turns me off about immortality is seeing others go, while you stay. And if it was something no one knew about, like a mutant power, it would be a legal hussle to do lots of stuff.

I wouldn't mind being immortal. I'd be just to damn curious to see where the world might go.

This is a good point.

Though you do wonder if you'd get bored of living, but then again, there's always new stuff being made for us to do.

I'd like to be a 16 year old forever. or maybe mid 30s, rich, and succesful :p

Immortal if the world wasn't going to end.

I am terrified of death blah blah it's in loads of other threads.

So yeah, immortality. If I ever got cancer, i'd probably go insane.

This is a good point.

Though you do wonder if you'd get bored of living, but then again, there's always new stuff being made for us to do.

I'd like to be a 15 year old forever. or maybe mid 30s, rich, and succesful :p

I'd like to stay an 18/19 year old student its a fun way of life.

Also I remember gargoyles whoever mentioned it. 'twas an awesome show.

Immortal if the world wasn't going to end.

I never get that point, by the time that happens we will have evolved into beings of light :P Or (more probably) colonized the galaxy.

Does anyone get the transdifferentiation article? Does it mean humans have an 80% chance of doing what the jellyfish is able to do?

No - what it's saying is that the epithelial cells of a human oesophagus are able to change cell type, to intestinal goblet cells. This is not a desirable condition in it's own right (it can cause conditions like heartburn), and it also makes the sufferer more likely to contract a form of cancer with an 80% mortality rate, probably because the gene silencing in the nucleus is messed about with when the cell changes type, which could cause genetic errors.

Anyway, I do not think I'd like to be immortal... I wouldn't want things to go on forever.

Eternal youth...

That would be nice. But that would also mean that the death of most would not be very peaceful. They would live until they had an accident. Or became sick.

Still, I'm curious to see the world's future. I wouldn't mind becoming immortal to see it.

By the way, that character from Gargoyles...his name was Macbeth, right?