NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Zechs Merquise

PS3 Price Cut... and Wii still sells more

lol you sold your wii at a bad time.. Metroid,zack and wiki, galaxy,smash and by far the wii has the most original games. Based on everything.

I would have made a better argument if i wasn't so tired:)

Do you seriously think 360 doesn't currently lead with RPG's (minus PS2 and DS :/.)

Just looking at the line up shows in the near future that the 360 is going to kick arse on the RPG front. Of course, it's all short term cause it's lack of presense in JApan will ultimately hurt it on the RPG front, but for the moment, it's clearly leaps and bounds ahead of the PS3 and Wii for RPG's.

I swear the Wii has like, 3 RPG's which will definitely come out in the Europe so far, just Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest Swords and FFCC:TCB. I'm probably forgetting a few though, but still there isn't alot announced for the Wii....yet.

I could honestly never imagine the day when someone would herald the 360 as being RPG King. Let's face it, the PS3 and Wii are relatively new but it's stark obvious that they will have far better RPGs than anything on the 360. Playstation will obviously have the main Final Fantasy titles, Tales games and countless numbers of RPGs. Wii will have Fire Emblem, possibly something to do with Golden Sun, and maybe Tales games.

The 360 RPGs so far - let's face it, they're nothing special. Blue Dragon is quoted as being just a bog standard RPG. Phantasy Star Universe is dreadful - I've had the misfortune of playing that. BioShock (which I have completed on PC) is not an RPG whatsoever, despite being able to loot bodies and upgrade your health and weapons. I have no idea who brought that one up. Enchanted Arms from what I've heard isn't that great either.

The 360 suffers from the fact it is too American - which is why you'll see countless shooters, sports games- and if RPGs they tend to be Western ones such as Fable. Great if you like that sort of Medievel theme, or if it's done really well (Oblivion), but I think it's safe to say Japanese RPGs are much more popular and that's why MS will never win on the RPG front for me.

And before you say "But it still has more RPGs right now than the Wii and PS3" - I'd rather not play those games at all, and instead play some better games on different consoles. It's like being given the option to eat lard or eat nothing.

I could honestly never imagine the day when someone would herald the 360 as being RPG King. Let's face it, the PS3 and Wii are relatively new but it's stark obvious that they will have far better RPGs than anything on the 360. Playstation will obviously have the main Final Fantasy titles, Tales games and countless numbers of RPGs. Wii will have Fire Emblem, possibly something to do with Golden Sun, and maybe Tales games.

The 360 RPGs so far - let's face it, they're nothing special. Blue Dragon is quoted as being just a bog standard RPG. Phantasy Star Universe is dreadful - I've had the misfortune of playing that. BioShock (which I have completed on PC) is not an RPG whatsoever, despite being able to loot bodies and upgrade your health and weapons. I have no idea who brought that one up. Enchanted Arms from what I've heard isn't that great either.

The 360 suffers from the fact it is too American - which is why you'll see countless shooters, sports games- and if RPGs they tend to be Western ones such as Fable. Great if you like that sort of Medievel theme, or if it's done really well (Oblivion), but I think it's safe to say Japanese RPGs are much more popular and that's why MS will never win on the RPG front for me.

And before you say "But it still has more RPGs right now than the Wii and PS3" - I'd rather not play those games at all, and instead play some better games on different consoles. It's like being given the option to eat lard or eat nothing.

I will point out to you that there are only 10 Wii games with review scores higher than Blue Dragon (2 of them NFL games). It was hardly a terrible game, just nothing amazingly special.

Did you play through Blue Dragon, or are you just assuming it's not worth playing based on what other people say? If it's the latter then exactly what Wii games are you playing? Reviewers aren't exactly loving most of the titles on Wii...

I will point out to you that there are only 10 Wii games with review scores higher than Blue Dragon. It was hardly a terrible game, just nothing amazingly special.

The Wii's been out for 11 months...

I will point out to you that there are only 10 Wii games with review scores higher than Blue Dragon. It was hardly a terrible game, just nothing amazingly special.

Sod the review scores, as a bit of an RPG conisseur I can just tell that it's a typical thrown together RPG, with little special. The reviews actually reflect this. It seems entirely artificial and made for the sole purpose of creating an illusion that the 360 is not without Japanese-style RPGs.

Yes I may be taking this view due to the number of sources indicating this, but I have no intention of buying an Xbox 360 and a 40 pound game to confirm this. From what I have read, as well as the gameplay videos and short plot summary this is definitely nothing to worry about.

Neither can I, but at the moment the 360 does have the best RPG line up. Look up games like Mass Effect, Lost Oddysey, The Last Remnent, Eternal Sonata, they're all pretty awesome RPG's. More then PS3 or Wii currently have lined up (FFXIII are still only 2 games which won't be here until 2009 earliest).

Even if the 360 RPG's sucked, the fact PS3 and Wii currently have 0 exclusive RPG's combined tells a bigger story.

That's why in the long term the 360 will be the worst for RPG's, but we're talking 2009 now. The 360 does currently have the RPG market and will do so for the short-term, obviously Wii is going to dominate it eventually but I'm talking purely at the moment.

You don't want to play Lost Oddesey? Last Remnent? Mass Effect? Alright then, you're loss :/.

Oh, and I think Wii is going to have the best RPG line up in the end, far crushing the PS3's. Ps3 will have Final Fantasy XIII, but chances are the Wii will have Dragon Quest, Tales Of and plenty more new RPG's we don't know about yet :). There's no real reason why someone would want to develope an RPG for the Ps3 or Xbox 360 anymore.

Sod the review scores, as a bit of an RPG conisseur I can just tell that it's a typical thrown together RPG, with little special. The reviews actually reflect this. It seems entirely artificial and made for the sole purpose of creating an illusion that the 360 is not without Japanese-style RPGs.

So you've played it then? Or am i right in my assumption that you run off hear-say for 360 games but blindly ignore it when it come to Wii games?

So you've played it then? Or am i right in my assumption that you run off hear-say for 360 games but blindly ignore it when it come to Wii games?

I currently have 3 Wii games. Twilight Princess, Monkey Ball and Super Paper Mario. And of course, the included Wii Sports. I can't really have played all these bad games you are talking about. Like most sensible people, I'm waiting for the good games to arrive. I make no excuses for the lack of games at the moment, but given it is under a year old it's not difficult to see why. This doesn't mean I'm not allowed to make an informed decision of an RPG that seems to be commonly slammed for being unoriginal.

Jammy, well instead of dragging the page length further downwards with quotes I'll just make a short summary. The 360 may have more RPGs, but since they are either average or bad they count for next to nothing (unlike, say, the DS).

As for the Wii winning on RPGs...I don't remember the Gamecube having that many. PS2 had an enormous amount, and it wouldn't surprise me if they had their sequels on the PS3. And Dragon Quest...being a S-E franchise makes me think main titles will appear on the PS3, with spin offs (such as that DQ8 one) appearing on Wii.

Hang on, wasn't this whole RPG discussion started because people were saying the 360 has no variety in it's games?

I think it's been proved it does now, so thats that little nit-pick over.

I can tell this is going to go round in circles. Can't we just accept that this forum is basically in 2 pieces: those who are waiting for the great games to appear (Wii owners) and those who decided not to wait (360 owners, also those who own more than one console)?

Jammy, well instead of dragging the page length further downwards with quotes I'll just make a short summary. The 360 may have more RPGs, but since they are either average or bad they count for next to nothing (unlike, say, the DS).

As for the Wii winning on RPGs...I don't remember the Gamecube having that many. PS2 had an enormous amount, and it wouldn't surprise me if they had their sequels on the PS3. And Dragon Quest...being a S-E franchise makes me think main titles will appear on the PS3, with spin offs (such as that DQ8 one) appearing on Wii.

You've obviously not played any 360 RPG's so I guess it's a pretty pointless argument.

However, it's obvious the Wii will get the majority of the RPG's you speak off. PS2 got them all last generation for one reason, it's sales kicked everyone elses arse in Japan. However this time it's the Wii which is the clear dominator, and as such the developers over in Japan are obviously going to respond to this. I think the best example is Dragon Quest IX moving exclusively to the DS, it just shows they're going to put their games where the money is, which is now the DS and Wii.

Couple that with the fact developing for the PS3 is in excess of 4 times more expensive then the PS2, and about 3 times as long, it's obvious most RPG's don't have the mass appeal to make a profit under those circumstances. Obviously Final Fantasy is a big enough franchise to cover the costs from it's sales, but I think the only other RPG franchise with big enough sales to do that is Dragon Quest, and that's on DS for now.

Hang on, wasn't this whole RPG discussion started because people were saying the 360 has no variety in it's games?

I think it's been proved it does now, so thats that little nit-pick over.

No, the point was that the 360 was leading with RPGs. I can't agree with this considering the RPGs are games that aren't really worth playing. It didn't really take into account the not-so-distant future either. It's like saying 'spend 300 quid now because at this precise moment in time there are more RPGs, even though they're all average or crap'.

Jammy, I've played PSU and I honestly don't see how wrong it can be to go with several reviews indicating that a game is average. Reviews are generally there for the purpose of enlightening people - so we don't have to spend £40 on every game just to find out if it's mediocre or not.

No, the point was that the 360 was leading with RPGs. I can't agree with this considering the RPGs are games aren't really worth playing. It didn't really take into account the not-so-distant future either. It's like saying 'spend 300 quid now because at this precise moment in time there are more RPGs, even though they're all average or crap'.

oblivion and mass effect shit confirmed

oblivion and mass effect shit confirmed

Oblivion, like I've already said, is multiformat. The worst version funnily enough happens to be on the 360 (although isn't that far from the PS3 version). And in the context that we were talking about, it was more or less about RPGs already out.

Jammy, I've played PSU and I honestly don't see how wrong it can be to go with several reviews indicating that a game is average. Reviews are generally there for the purpose of enlightening people - so we don't have to spend £40 on every game just to find out if it's mediocre or not.

I guess we're talking about different time frames or something, I've not once mentioned PSU. I'm more talking about Mass Effect, Eternal Sonata, The Last Remnent and Lost Oddysey. Which all look truly epic, to me.

Non of them are out yet (except Eternal Sonata), but they're out in the next 3 months. Considering the Wii doesn't have a single RPG with a release date over here yet, I'd say it's perfectly valid to compare that for now.

We seem to agree for the most part, just that you can't acknowledge that in the short term future the 360 has the best RPG line up. It's such a stupid argument because the Wii doesn't have any RPG's at all with a release date yet, so even if all the 360 had was PSU, it'd still win out :/.

Like I said, the initial comment was someone saying right now the Xbox was leading with RPGs. Minus any upcoming ones, I can't agree.

Like I said, the initial comment was someone saying right now the Xbox was leading with RPGs. Minus any upcoming ones, I can't agree.

I don't really want to keep bringing up this debate, but if 360 isn't leading with RPG's even now, who is? :/

The DS/GBA of course (with the FF remakes alone).

Well, I'm happy to agree with that.

I wasn't really including handhelds, but obviously DS kicks arse in the RPG department far beyond what any other console can hope to do :P.

Just started Final Fantasy III today, gotta say, it's shaping up pretty epic.

My god i don't believe some of you people.

I'm especially looking at the thread starter and a few others.

PS2 fanboys used to be like this, their console sold the most, they got big headed and faggoty. Now Nintendo fanboys are letting the console's success go to their heads.

CAn't a thread be about the Wii's success, rather than Sony's unsucsefullness?(damn spelling)

I love how some people in this thread completely ignore facts given to them by other people. If someone comes in and makes a decent comment that is pro Wii, people jump on and say "Hey, HES RIGHT!" and then people who make a decent comment about any other console ignore it and continue bashing.

Of course this happens the other way too, but since its a Nintendo forum there are far more Wii fans.

Just a note, I have a Wii and a 360, and I have played my friends PS3 and enjoyed it.

People need to grow up. Seriously. And I'm probably one of the younger members of this forum.

The only 360 RPG I want is Fable 2. Still, that's one more than the Wii. :laughing:

My taste in RPG's is quite peculiar though. I can't stand turn-based battles, so I avoid games that have them like the plague: so I was very pleased when they announced Super Paper Mario would have real-time battles. I love Two Worlds (PC version) but everybody else seems to hate it. And I can't say I'm fussed about Mass Effect. The story looks really interesting, but the video clips I've seen of the combat in action look depressingly dull.

Lol @ People thinking that the 360 will be the king of JRPGs, That's a joke in itself. Yes it's got some now, because it has had more time in the market, but the PS3 has them coming, Oh yeah Persona 4 is just enough in itself to make any RPG player cum in their pants!

I'm sorry, but that's a bunch of BS. Broadening the market is bad to the industry? As in bringing more players in? Making developers do different types of games? If the industry didn't expand, in a few years it would crash again, what you're saying seems like Sony/MS fanboyism to me.

How does this argument work? I would agree with you if what you were saying is true. But innovation and new games arent exactly happening. Wii isnt really a breath of fresh of air. So far its all been a false promise. People have brought into the promise and sales are a testament to that. I see mums trying to get Wii all the time in shops.

But you're wrong in trying to justify that lower quality product is good thing. I was a huge GC fan but even i can see whats happening here is wrong. I used to love Nintendo and even people here used to make fun of me because i was such a huge nintendo fan.

How does this argument work? I would agree with you if what you were saying is true. But innovation and new games arent exactly happening. Wii isnt really a breath of fresh of air.

You're right. Before the Wii, millions of people were already standing in their front rooms, laughing uncontrollably while swinging their PS2 controllers around.

You're right. Before the Wii, millions of people were already standing in their front rooms, laughing uncontrollably while swinging their PS2 controllers around.

Maybe, you haven't been around for long enough, but this is Choze, ignoring his posts is the right thing to do.

Sign in to follow this