NEurope
Retro_Link

The Movie News Thread!

'Footloose' remake on the fast track

I think this is the worst news EVER!!!!!

THEY CANT REMAKE THIS CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was about to say "It needed a remake, why?", but I suppose they're turning it into a musical...

*says nothing*

It'll be rather like the hairspray remake I would of thought. Where they updated it slightly, and added "Ladies Choice" in etc.

I think this is the worst news EVER!!!!!

THEY CANT REMAKE THIS CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People said the same thing about the Hairspray "remake" and it turned out better than the original (Imo anyway).

It'll be rather like the hairspray remake I would of thought. Where they updated it slightly, and added "Ladies Choice" in etc.

Yeah, but that was a really pointless remake too.

I think they should ban remaking things, unless it's an original take on the story. Maybe making Footloose a full musical counts, but blauauagh in general.

There soon won't be a classsic that hasn't been remade. :(

Yeah, but that was a really pointless remake too.

I think they should ban remaking things, unless it's an original take on the story. Maybe making Footloose a full musical counts, but blauauagh in general.

There soon won't be a classsic that hasn't been remade. :(

Hairspray was a remake of the stage musical, than the original film. So in a way, it shouldn't really be called a remake. It's more Stage to Screen, than Screen..to Screen. Plus it did get some pretty great reviews, so it was worth it. It's not like it was a below par effort. Plus, they're in the writing stages for Hairspray 2. So Woo!

And yeah, I'd say that does count tbh. It's not a pointless direct remake like so many crappy horror remakes etc. They're actually attempting something new with it.

So glad they did Hairspray, such a fun/happy/bubbly film which is actually good, as well as having a serious issue raised in it.

Never seen Footloose, so this is welcome in my eyes ^_^

So glad they did Hairspray, such a fun/happy/bubbly film which is actually good, as well as having a serious issue raised in it.

The only good thing about hairspray was watching Christopher Walken dancing with John Travolta in a fat suit and playing a woman. Whoever thought of the idea of a cheesy schoolgirl musical revolving around black oppression needs to be shot.

The only good thing about hairspray was watching Christopher Walken dancing with John Travolta in a fat suit and playing a woman. Whoever thought of the idea of a cheesy schoolgirl musical revolving around black oppression needs to be shot.

Yeah because that's a pretty intelligent thing to say :indeed:

Yeah because that's a pretty intelligent thing to say :indeed:

Do enlighten me as to what was unintelligent about it?

Do enlighten me as to what was unintelligent about it?

Saying someone needs to be shot for making a decent film..

Even if it was shit, being shot for it?

Yeah because that's intelligent of you :/

Saying someone needs to be shot for making a decent film..

Even if it was shit, being shot for it?

Yeah because that's intelligent of you :/

Wow, I didn't think I was being taken so literally. It was quite obviously an expression mate. I don't want anyone shot, I just don't think Hairspray touches on any sort of serious issue. Not that could be taken seriously anyway.

Wow, I didn't think I was being taken so literally. It was quite obviously an expression mate. I don't want anyone shot, I just don't think Hairspray touches on any sort of serious issue. Not that could be taken seriously anyway.

Still, pretty stupid thing to say.

The hairspray remake is a fantastic movie a milion times better than the original which bored me to tears. But footloose is a classic and one of my fave films, i'll cry if its shit. Also if they get someone like justin timberlake to sing the theme song i'll jump off a cliff.

They're remaking footloose? Oh, shit.

Fiver calls it: they're going to make it 'urban' and make it a shit hip hop 'street' dancing movie.

The original is amazing. What the fuck?

I really really dislike remakes and usually avoid them.

It´s money that could go on to making something new.

Fiver calls it: they're going to make it 'urban' and make it a shit hip hop 'street' dancing movie.

I can see the title right now.

"FOOTLOOZ"

"2 FOOT 2 LOOSE."

To be fair, Hairspray was a surprising laugh. And I wasn't even aware of the main issue in it, until I saw it!

I thought it was good. Better than it's equivalent (HSM), as if that was even questionable.

----

Never seen Footloose, so this is welcome in my eyes ^_^

It's not like the original has been lost to the world, y'know.

haha yeah. And that's the thing: we're not looking at some outdated movie like King Kong that would in any way benefit from a remake, we're talking about a relatively recent, totally watchable film that in no way needs to be remade when you can get the DVD so readily and just watch that instead.

haha yeah. And that's the thing: we're not looking at some outdated movie like King Kong that would in any way benefit from a remake, we're talking about a relatively recent, totally watchable film that in no way needs to be remade when you can get the DVD so readily and just watch that instead.

Exactly. And that's a perfect example of a film that benefitted from a remake, it modernised it, which was welcome. It had it's own spin on it too (to a degree...IIRC).

Yeah there was nothing wrong with KK getting a new set of clothes, but this is absurd. I mean, apart from the fact that the film is still so good, it's very much tied to the music of the time. It could only get worse by updating the OST or, god forbid, make it a musical.

I agree with Dan Dare this doesn't need to be remade. Stupid decision me thinks especially as it really isn't that old. It would be so hard to live up to as well as Footloose is such a classic. :)

Maybe they will get Kevin Bacon to reprise his role...

:p

Why do people always feel the need to condemn something before they've even given it a chance? I don't understand it. The films going to be "updated" and turned into a fully fledged musical, so it's more of a "twist" on the original rather than a fully fledged scene by scene remake.

Give it a chance, and stop the whining.

Why do people always feel the need to condemn something before they've even given it a chance? I don't understand it. The films going to be "updated" and turned into a fully fledged musical, so it's more of a "twist" on the original rather than a fully fledged scene by scene remake.

Give it a chance, and stop the whining.

Because nothing has made the idea sound anything more than a cash cow to attract the zillions that loved HSM etc.

If it was an original story, it would sound better.

Wasn't Footloose like a 15 rated film? That would make this supposed remake a strange vehicle for Zach Effron.

That was nigh-on 30 years ago. A 15 back then would be a 12 or less nowadays.

Russel Brand is being reported to be in the next "Pirates" movie, playing Captain Jacks brother. He's reportedly going to earn up to 5 Million for the role too.

I actually think that's some rather good casting by Disney, if it's true.