NEurope
Dante

Super/Street Fighter IV

Ahhhh...I think this will still be 2D though, and not EX-like. I just don't like the gritty look of Ryu and Ken. Thats Chun-Lis stage right?

Infomation came with the first screenshot.

Numbers are supposed to be impressive, right? Well, it's been 10 years, two hardware generations, and about seventeen thousand rumors since the last pure number Street Fighter came around. And today we have the first ever official details on Street Fighter IV.

We don't blame you if your eyes have already skipped down to the screenshot lower on the page (yes, that's from the game engine). Take your time. But we've got some information as well, so the rest of this is probably worth reading when you get a chance.

Though the screenshot doesn't answer this question outright, we can confirm that the game's graphics are polygonal but the gameplay is strictly 2D. There will be new moves, locations, and gameplay features, while the standard six button control scheme remains. Ryu and Ken return along with Chun-Li and Dhalsim, but beyond that the character roster is a mystery. And then there's the issue of what platform(s) the game will end up on, which at this point Capcom is keeping close to its chest (if you search 1UP's database, you'll find listings for arcade, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions, but those are just guesses based on the graphical quality).

For the full reveal of the game -- including hands-on impressions, a rundown of the new gameplay system, and loads of details on new features -- look for the January 2008 issue of EGM in stores soon and hitting subscribers any day now. And then after you check the issue out, keep your eye on 1UP's Street Fighter IV hub page for ongoing coverage continuing into January.

Ken = The fast, sexy one with super awesome combos.

Ryu = Boring archetypal hero that appears in basically every fighter known to man (Akira, Paul etc.)

There ya go :)

Fixed for pwnage. And am I the only one disappointed by the graphics? I'd much prefer super detailed sprites, or something at least a little more stylised/ in the mould of Okami or Viewtiful Joe

[..]

And am I the only one disappointed by the graphics? I'd much prefer super detailed sprites, or something at least a little more stylised/ in the mould of Okami or Viewtiful Joe

No you're not, I totally agree. As a 2D animation lover the graphics for the 2D fighters were a very big part of the appeal. To say my interests are completely gone is exagerated, but the hype certainly is. It's a shame, but it's the natural trend unfortunately, the 3D models are much easier to animate. But it's an artform I appreciate less than 2D animation. It'll probably still be cool to play with your favourite (anti) heroes of Street Fighter in an all new game, but the game will be less different from all the other fighters out there.. More mainstream appeal I guess.

Anyway, I really have to think about importing a PS2 with some Hori sticks and third strike.. (and Guilty Gears and Tales of Symphonia in japanse while I'm at it ;))

Mate, if you've got a 360, get the Anniversary Edition, and get either the VF5 or DOA4 Hori Arcade sticks, they're 4 gate instead of 8, so might take a little time to get used to pulling off quarter turns properly, but I've had the DOA one for a while, and it's pretty awesome tbh, and good quality.

Atm, what I'm looking forward to is seeing what new kinds of techs they've put in the game, and what they've done with the parrying system.

Oh dear.

sfivscreen008.jpg

sfivscreen001.jpg

Not sure how trustworthy this info is but...

The graphics aren't the way they are in the teaser that everyone watched. The game's still pretty, but it has nothing of that ink-splashing or anything. Art direction is interesting. Unlike all the other 3D fighters, SFIV is not meant to be photo realistic.

Street Fighter IV runs at 60 frames per second.

Street Fighter IV will have online play.

The game takes place after Super Street Fighter II Turbo and before SFIII. The good news is that the character roster will be made of many old-school brawlers and some entirely new ones. There are two new girls on the list. We will probably not see any SFIII characters.

The stage you saw at 1Up, if you didn't figure out, is Chun-Li's Stage from SF2.

The excellent Parry system form SFIII is gone. The new system seems to be called Saving or Revenge (we're not sure about the name). We don't know exactly how it works, but it's built around cancels. And we do know we'll have another gauge to activate the Saving/Revenge stuff, besides the usual Super Gauge.

Supers are there (although they didn't decide yet if it will be like in SSF2T or SFIII), and now they've put another moves called Ultras. These makes your character throws a auto combo with tons of moves. It's like a custom combo ... except by the custom part.

Shen Long may appear in the game. We are NOT kidding.

The consoles are not decided yet, really. But, assuming that SFIV will have online play, we can obviously think of Xbox 360 and PS3 (duh). It's very likely that we'll see an arcade version without online mode too, and our sources told us that Capcom could put some test machines in Japan arcades in Q2 next year.

http://www.destructoid.com/rumor-new-info-and-pictures-from-street-fighter-iv-leaked-58045.phtml

It's like the exact opposite of what everyone wanted.

It really is. People want a 3rd strike like fighting system, with insane HD2D graphics.

Well, i think so anyway?

What? NO parry?!

Fuck, the parry system from SF3 was genius, why strip it out? Fuck, fuck, fuck.

No Parry!! what are they thinking??

They better keep Sean and Dudley in this game. Although if they are bringing back M.Bison (Balrog) then I doubt you can have him and dudley in the same game.

Fixed for pwnage. And am I the only one disappointed by the graphics? I'd much prefer super detailed sprites, or something at least a little more stylised/ in the mould of Okami or Viewtiful Joe

No I am too. I love Street Fighter and still play 2 and Alpha to this day. This is a huge let down.

I wanted a super detailed, beautifully animated 2D game. I really don't like the look of Ryu and Ken. Plus I want more reguklars coming back. Guile, Vega, Sagat should be musts!

God that looks like shit.

QFT

Plus, it's rubbish about 'Shen Long' appearing in the game. He doesn't exist. The whole 'Sheng Long' saga was based on a mis-translated bit of text in the World Warrior. Ryu's master and mentor was called Gouken and was killed by Akuma.

Wow. I was excited about this. It looks pretty awful..

I just want to say Ryu has a massive cock.

What the fuck...

Well, it could be worse. Removing the parry system is a mistake though, that was the most genius thing ever to be put into a fighter, but I do like the fact that they're expanding on the cancels. It truly is an eyesore though, I hope they change the graphical style

Whats wrong with you people? Graphics dont matter :blank:

This isnt what i envisioned for SF4, up until i saw the teaser trailer a few weeks ago, so now these graphics dont suprise me.

I trust that it will look much, much better in motion and they still have plenty of time to get rid of the stupid look on Ken's face.

Once all the Street Fighterisms, music, voice, sound effects, etc. are in place, im sure this will make more sense

What the fuck...

Well, it could be worse. Removing the parry system is a mistake though, that was the most genius thing ever to be put into a fighter, but I do like the fact that they're expanding on the cancels. It truly is an eyesore though, I hope they change the graphical style

Eyesore is the perfect word for it. What the hell is wrong with Ken's face? How could they get such a beloved franchise so very wrong?

Yeah. It looks like a budget game. Like Sneak King. Only, it's street fighter and you can't get it for 2.50 at a burger joint.

Once all the Street Fighterisms, music, voice, sound effects, etc. are in place, im sure this will make more sense

Yeah im taking a wait and see attiude as well, Hope it does come together as does look bad from those screen shots.

When I see those screens, I think this is looking bad.

When I read the details about the game, I think this is even getting worse.

3D-graphics with 2D-timing gameplay? Haven't they learned anything from the past? Why no parries from the best SF-game? Why do they set it between SFIIT and SFIII? To cram as much as (wellknown = wellselling) SFII-stuff inthere as possible? The artistic direction is indeed 'interesting'. Sure, it shouldn't look photorealistic (now there's a scary thought), but why do Ryu and Ken have to look like some actionfigure-rejects?

But that's Mr. Negativity talking. Who knows what time can bring, eh? C'mon Capcom, you've made sensible decisions lately. Don't screw this one.

Whats wrong with you people? Graphics dont matter :blank:

Yes they do, and you're really quite stupid for kidding yourself otherwise.

When they said "HD2D" I wanted that, no 3D, please.

It'll just end up looking like Rise of the Robots or something, ouch

Shame, I absolutely love Third Strike

When I see those screens, I think this is looking bad.

When I read the details about the game, I think this is even getting worse.

3D-graphics with 2D-timing gameplay? Haven't they learned anything from the past? Why no parries from the best SF-game? Why do they set it between SFIIT and SFIII? To cram as much as (wellknown = wellselling) SFII-stuff inthere as possible? The artistic direction is indeed 'interesting'. Sure, it shouldn't look photorealistic (now there's a scary thought), but why do Ryu and Ken have to look like some actionfigure-rejects?

But that's Mr. Negativity talking. Who knows what time can bring, eh? C'mon Capcom, you've made sensible decisions lately. Don't screw this one.

Action figure rejects, I couldn't have said it better myself. I think a very bad fan reaction to this may cause changes as it's very early in development.

I think you guys suck tbh. From all the moaning on here it's a miracle Capcom don't scrap SFIV all together, grab Third Strike, add some new characters and HD visuals, then slap the Street Fighter IV name on it.

Capcom have done something different with each SF series. This is why Street Fighter IV isn't a HD version of Third Strike. Sure, it probably won't be better than Third Strike, but it's better than the same old game sold as something new and different.

Before i get flamed, yes i would like to see a HD version of Third Strike. Heck, even an improved version of Third Strike sold as SFIII: Fourth Strike. I just don't think SFIV needs to try and be Third Strike.

Yeah, that's a good point, It's just hard not to whine when 3rd Strike was so perfect. I have nothing but faith in Capcom, they are my favourite development studio of all time, and SF:IV is going to be jaw dropping without a doubt, but that said, it's still hard to let go of the amazing parrying system, and the 2D sprites. I don't care much for the new graphical style at all, and I don't see why it can't look more like Viewtiful Joe and less like Blue Dragon. I know I'm being stupid; it's the very first screen shot of a game that's been in development for 3 months or so.

Yes they do, and you're really quite stupid for kidding yourself otherwise.

My 'graphics dont matter' comment was made in sarcasm (hence the :blank:). A handful of screenshots is hardly enough to judge at this point but i happen to think it will look great in motion.