NEurope

Ah cheers then. Different system then as we don't do footnotes. Can't find anything in our university's literature which clears it up (and ignoring the fact every lecturer wants slight alterations in spite of the fact they pretend they agree). Logically to me theres no point in keep putting the year but you only need one lecturer who thinks they know better... :blank:

There is two preferred kinds, CMS way of footnoting and then the harvard including the author/book at the end of the quote. But as a uni student i'm sure you knew that :P

work starts tomorrow i swear!

Ah cheers then. Different system then as we don't do footnotes. Can't find anything in our university's literature which clears it up (and ignoring the fact every lecturer wants slight alterations in spite of the fact they pretend they agree). Logically to me theres no point in keep putting the year but you only need one lecturer who thinks they know better... :blank:

You don't use footnotes...

*hyperventilates*

Tellyn I'm sorry to hear about your auntie, and Aimless I'm sorry about your job and generally feeling sad. :(

Glad to be home from work, that place is sucking out my soul. Top resolution for 2009: Get a Graduate job and move to London. (gonna be easy in Credit Crunch Britain, but it has to be done asap).

Oh yeah and we are your friends has been on a loop in my head all day, awesome. :). Ohhhhh and Jesus I loved your 'non-sensical' post, made sense in my head.

350 words left of this bloody essay on Marx...

These last words always take the longest.

Wait what? Same here. What course do you do again? Why does Marx have to have some sort of bloody convoluted theory for everything? Trying to read through "The German Ideology" atm, and his sentencing is so shitty it's fuggin difficult to understand what he's bangin on about.

"Individualism is a special ideological form of the 'we experience' of the bourgeois class... how far do the texts of Marx enhance our understanding of Mary Shelly's Frankenstein?"

Ceebs teebs.

Yeah as Dom said. We use harvard. It incoporates author, date and page number into the text and then a bibliography at the end;

Anisfield (2004) argues that Godzilla and the atomic bomb are intertwined within both American and Japanese audiences due to their involvements within the atomic bombs; “humans made the bombs. The bombs created the monsters. The monsters punish the humans” (56). Thus, Godzilla is narratologically the result of nuclear warfare, but also symbolically representative of it as well.

(and then in the bib.)

Anisfield, N. (2004) Godzilla/Gojiro: Evolution of the Nuclear Metaphor. Journal of Popular Culture, 29 (3), 53-62

Example (and I only chose that one because I like the last sentence).

Oh and I've also done some Marx in the past but try and stay away from him.

In the new year my uni is stating that footnotes are to be included in the word count, i have no idea why. So i may start using harvard, imo, it looks nicer than many footnotes =]

Good day today, had a consultation for laser eye surgery and it all went well. My pupils are ridiculously dilated at the moment because of the eye drops they used during the test, they looks mental. Have a pre-op consultation on Monday, and if all goes well in that, which it should judging by today's consulation, I'll be having the surgery on the 19th of this month.

I'm delighted to be getting in done, I've always been happy enough wearing glasses but for convenience sake I'll be glad to be rid of them! The amount of damage I've done to them over the years is unreal. I've never been able to get used to contacts so I've always had my glasses on for nights out and the like, so they've taken quite a battering on many occasions!

Wait what? Same here. What course do you do again? Why does Marx have to have some sort of bloody convoluted theory for everything? Trying to read through "The German Ideology" atm, and his sentencing is so shitty it's fuggin difficult to understand what he's bangin on about.

"Individualism is a special ideological form of the 'we experience' of the bourgeois class... how far do the texts of Marx enhance our understanding of Mary Shelly's Frankenstein?"

Ceebs teebs.

I get the brilliant non-question 'Relate the writings of any one of the thinkers you have studied both to their own times and to our current concerns.' Yours sounds more fun. I like Frankenstein. :heh:

The thought of reading any social theory over a century old makes me want to punch myself. I was tempted for a tenth of a second to do it on Rousseau but then I remembered reading him was tantamount to wading through oil paint and thought better of it. By the time I've reached the end of one of his page long sentences, consisting of more sub-clauses than there are pages in the article, I have to go back to the beginning to remind myself what the bloody subject was.

The one thing I love about Marx is his ideas on alienation. The most important and lasting of his ideas in my opinion.

I do Social Anthropology, this is for the Social Theory module.

I have two more essays in for Monday,

'Is it reasonable to imagine the possibility of an egalitarian society?' Which I ripped apart because it is a stupid question. Although I think I came off sounding like a bit of a Nazi so I'll have to balance that one out a bit tomorrow. :D

Actually anyone on the Harvard system; if you reference an article online (from an e-journal so its reputable enough) how do you do pages? Obviously they're not given page numbers as its just continous prose so what do you do? I don't want to not reference it and get my lecturers thinking I've plagarised/been lazy. Is there some way of basically saying "page not available/applicable"?

Actually anyone on the Harvard system; if you reference an article online (from an e-journal so its reputable enough) how do you do pages? Obviously they're not given page numbers as its just continous prose so what do you do? I don't want to not reference it and get my lecturers thinking I've plagarised/been lazy. Is there some way of basically saying "page not available/applicable"?

I don't think I bothered with pages for when it was online. There is a search function for them to find the quote anyway. I referenced where it was from, the title and who it was by and left it at that.

In the new year my uni is stating that footnotes are to be included in the word count, i have no idea why. So i may start using harvard, imo, it looks nicer than many footnotes =]

Including footnotes in the word count? That's weird.

My A-level English essays had at least another 1000 words worth of footnotes because they didn't count towards the word count. Loads of free marks. :heh:

'Is it reasonable to imagine the possibility of an egalitarian society?' Which I ripped apart because it is a stupid question. Although I think I came off sounding like a bit of a Nazi so I'll have to balance that one out a bit tomorrow. :D

I hope to god you mentioned rawls, crazy bitch appears in anything to do with equality, justice, rights and the like. And he's always right >.> One day i'll disprove him i swear!

Talking about the subjects we do is fun but not really dayish, um, ok i woke up got dressed, played guitar hero, this

wow...

I think you reference the entire piece.

Either that or I did it wrong :s

I don't think I bothered with pages for when it was online. There is a search function for them to find the quote anyway. I referenced where it was from, the title and who it was by and left it at that.

Cheers. I think im just presuming my lecturers to be too lazy/judgemental. Like I imagine them reading it through and being "WOAH, no page number. Plagarism!"

Cheers. I think im just presuming my lecturers to be too lazy/judgemental. Like I imagine them reading it through and being "WOAH, no page number. Plagarism!"

If my tutors are anything to go by, I'm not surprised. But I hardly imagine them calling you a cheat when you place the name, title and where it's from. :shakehead

Hm, perhaps link to the exact page containing the article and note the line number? When we do assignments (granted, it's not on university level, but we still have to have all the technical stuff in order) we have to note the name of the work, the author, the publisher, the year it was published, the page number and the line number of the piece of text in question. My preferred way of using footnotes is like this.[superscript]1[/superscript]

[superscript]1[/superscript]"How to use footnotes", Paulsen, p. 26, ll. 3-6

Then in the bibliography you include the rest of the information:

- Paulsen, Daniel B.: "How to use footnotes", The Publishing Publisher, 2009

(Yeah, I don't know how to do superscript in this form of text formatting.)

I hope to god you mentioned rawls, crazy bitch appears in anything to do with equality, justice, rights and the like. And he's always right >.> One day i'll disprove him i swear!

I only touched on him. I've had to base it more on ethnographic examples than theory. :indeed:

Spent most of today recovering from NYE. The party was quite epic, though since our designated driver was too busy drinking straight vodka I had to walk home (seven miles + 5AM + intoxicated = surreal). Still, if I had stayed and slept then I would have been drawn on with permanent marker.

Spooning = :)

You walked home?!?! Fucking hell mate that's awful :( Especially in that weather lol.

And yeah the spooning was great..another time maybe :heh:

So i've just gone on MSN properly for the first in months and don't recognize half of my contacts. So if you get some random guy adding you, it's probably me, so remember where the block button is.

Oh Zell....there is absolutely NOTHING like early morning completely smashed walks. They are actually the most crazy thing. They really are. They are like adventures.

Well I have successfully managed to not wear trousers all day. Huzzah!

Completed two assignments and cleaned out the hamster cage. Not bad considering I woke up at 12.

And my ipod case finally turned up. (I say finally, I ordered from an ebayer ages ago and twice it never turned up so ordered from someone else). Looks spiffy! (link)

Someone I've slept with's boyfriend has invited me out as part of his birthday celebrations in a few days which would be fine normally but considering in the past he's been really hostile toward me for when I've done nothing...it could be weird and awkward but I may still go. Seeing him tomorrow anyway as he's lost his phone cahrger and I have loads spare that don't work for my new phone. (although he's not the brightest spark. talking about restaurants and I said I hadn't been to the one he's thinking of but nearly did but was the other end of town and he said "i know that one!" but I didn't specify any and thers about seven around there...)

Starting to worry about money again for next semester. Debt collecting though, about time some people paid me back. I should have hopefully about £700-1000 (not checked for ages :/) in my one account come February and £4000 in the other which should tide me over but need to figure out how many more months rent I need on this place. Plus we've yet to recieve any bills which is going to sting when they come in.

You walked home?!?! Fucking hell mate that's awful :( Especially in that weather lol.

And yeah the spooning was great..another time maybe :heh:

I didn't feel the cold, I had my alcohol jacket on :heh: Don't feel too bad, it was quite fun.

Oh Zell....there is absolutely NOTHING like early morning completely smashed walks. They are actually the most crazy thing. They really are. They are like adventures.

Indeedy, rural Bucks is like a maze. Weird how I never felt tired at all (except in the morning when I could barely bend my knees).

I woke up really late today (for me anyway) and a few hours latter had to go to my first in-car driving lesson. The car felt really stiff compared to my parents vehicles.

After that I was going to work on my dad's website for a while, but unfortunantly fireworks had some problem (error 11 if anyone cares) and I had to re-install CS4. Which just finished.

While that was going, I decided to go back to the re-play I was doing of TP. I had gotten to the forest dungeon a few months ago and got about half way through it.

I've been up for two hours, which means I only slept for like...4. Why am I up so early? Why does the internet exist, dammit!