NEurope

Just got back from Berlin. Absolutely shattered. Haven't been getting enough sleep at all (had to get up at 3:45 am last night/this morning). The bags under my eyes have never been this big. Want to nap now but someone broke my curtain, so not sure I can sleep.

Also, seems I missed quite a bit of fun/action on April Fool's day here on N-E. No idea what happened/went on.

Went out last night but it wasn't great. Drinks were more expensive than usual and it was incredibly full everywhere, there was actually a queue to get out in one place. Not just at the end, like there normally is, the place was just so full that if you wanted to step outside you had to wait a good while. Apart from that the music was pretty crap, annoyingly I didn't hear any Lady Gaga songs, which I have realised I seem to love on a night out :blush:

There were some positives though, I managed to spend £10 all night and still get fairly drunk, plus I saw some good people I haven't seen in a while. Not a bad night, just a little disappointing. Maybe I should just stay in and play Halo more often :heh:

Was out last night with peeps from school, it was fun. Cabaret Voltaire stuns in the fact it plays music to blow you sideways, and it feels like people are there for that reason. The most mainstream it gets is extremely remixed Little Boots or Santigold. And even then they're great to hear.

The only thing is, I can tell I'd prefer it if I were more drunk, but I find it really hard to get drunk while out in town because I hate spending money. Just give me a bottle of wine and let me be free.

Ah just under 8 weeks today and I am a free bird to go home and not think about this house. Yipee!

Anyway, feel abit bored today, slightly lost, the boy went home yesterday and since then I've had to continue uni work, work which I'm not learning anything by doing, nor am I particularly enjoying it.

I hope next year gets better, we've all been promised that our money will be worthwhile next year and we will learn things, but I don't see it happening, I know my modules do sound better, but thats what I thought this year and I got taught film which was in no relation to gaming whatsoever. Sigh.

Must.think.positive

Uni is such a let down, its not just me being complainy either, alot of people I've spoken to are the same and each time we speak to somebody about it, it almost gets dismissed. I doubt I'll ever come back and do a masters at sheffield hallam. What a load of shite.

Anyyywaaaay, been playing ffx which cheers me, its so much fun having a ps2, got a slimline one off the boy for my birthday (I wasn't supposed to get it yet given my birthday is in June, but I've been dying to play ffx so I was allowed, woo!), doing flash work as well as unreal work (again!) even though even my tutors doesn't understand half the things I'm doing, lawl. I bet he wants us to do presentations so he can learn from us than vice versa. :)

. Yipee!

Anyyywaaaay, been playing ffx which cheers me, its so much fun having a ps2, got a slimline one off the boy for my birthday

I had this urge as well to play FFX, it was at Christmas, finally completed it yesterday (didn't take it to uni, so was played very intermittently). Had all the best weapons etc. So fulfilling and still great as I remember it.

I had this urge as well to play FFX, it was at Christmas, finally completed it yesterday (didn't take it to uni, so was played very intermittently). Had all the best weapons etc. So fulfilling and still great as I remember it.

Yeah I'm just getting to Kilika temple, ah it makes me happee. :love:

So, the fight I had on my hands against my manager?

I quit!

It's a really, really long story that culminates with me breaking down and handing in my notice after essentially being blackmailed to do so, and the promise of a good reference if I don't talk to HR. Apparently to do so would be to "shoot myself in the foot".

I can't believe you put up with it for so long.

Haha, it's funny, now that I've left, I completely agree with you.

Why would you ever agree to do unpaid work for more than an hour?

I'd never EVER work more than that unpaid. What a load of bullshit Dyson, suck it up (:laughing:) and be a man! You've gotta fight for your right to geeeeet paid!

It wasn't me agreeing to it, the manager had his ways of making you know you had to stay. His most common technique was saying that you couldn't leave until x job/task was completed. For example, changing the bestsellers on a T-Shirt chart, which could take a considerable amount of time. And if you said you were leaving? He'd threaten to end your probation for two reasons apparantly stated in the contract - Staff can't leave until the manager says so; or disagreeing with a managers reasonable request/insubordination.

Other times it'd be something along the lines of "Well, go home now and come in at 8 tomorrow to finish the job done" and the only reason you would agree to it was because you'd already done 2 or 3 hours extra and you just want to get out!

If it's unpaid work then keep a record of it.

Then add up your full hours (paid and unpaid) and then get your full pay and divide it by the full amount of hours you've worked.

If your hourly rate is below minimum wage then your employer will have to pay you until the hourly rate is minimum wage.

This applies even if you've agreed to unpaid work, or if you sign a contract for the unpaid work. Both of these simply become void if it means you're working below minimum wage.

I actually did this one month, and worked out I was on an average of £4.00 an hour. Granted it was one of the earlier months, but still.

YOU ARE A TOOL. What the FUCK are you doing working FREE overtime? Seriously? SERIOUSLY ANSWER THE DAMN QUESTION.

Yeah, I was. I really was. But at the same time I felt trapped; it took me 6 months to get that job and I didn't want to be stuck in unemployment once more knowing how dreary and bleak it is. On top of that, having responsibilities these days, I did fear for my money situation. Luckily it looks like I've come out of the tunnel and had my eyes opened to the bullshit.

And it isn't ending here, either. I'm planning on taking this as far as I can with it. I have had so much support from people around me it's crazy. Two employees who still work in the store for the manager I did have said they want to help me out. An employee who was in my situation and blackmailed as I was has said that he's willing to tell his side of things. Even a staff member from another store have said they're going to help. On top of that, the EAC helpline told me to call back for legal advice (that was before I even quit), an HR lawyer reckons I have something and even the manager who works at a nearby GAME store reckons I should go for Bullying and Constructive Dismissal. Both of which I plan to look in to and hopefully push for.

As for my day today; it's been fantastic. All I've done is play Pokemon Silver. <3

Edited by Ashley
^_^

Well done for leaving Dyson (if that is the right thing to say).

I'm nacked. Been helping my mother clear the attic out. I got tonnes of stuff up there which i havn't seen in ages, and more than i thought i actually had. Found a NES, Megadrive, tonnes of school/college stuff, some lego (models galore) just to name some stuff. I have been told i can take 1 maybe 2 boxes from the attic of our current house to the new one. I think i've managed to save the essentials.

Sounds like you made a good call dude! You should see how far you can push this because it sounds like you have at least grounds for compensation.

You've made the right decision, Dyson. For both leaving and taking it as far as you can. And with that amount of support you should be able to get something out of it.

Ah Dyson I'm so glad you've left! Thank god your not being taken for a ride.

I'd still say to talk to HR and ask them if somebody else could right a reference for you! Make sure you could a record of all conversations had between you and your stupid ex manager.

Yeah I'm just getting to Kilika temple, ah it makes me happee. :love:

The bit where you fight the sinspawn there is always the bit where I finally find myself into the story and loving it again.

I hope you can spank their arses, Dysonia. Fuck them well and truely up the arse. Do it for yourself, boyo. Do eet naawww.

Also, seems I missed quite a bit of fun/action on April Fool's day here on N-E. No idea what happened/went on.

Header change, word changes (e.g. stunning became "[original adjective]") and name changes (you were Walt Diseenuh because that was the best I could come up with).

Dyson glad there's a bit of resolution. I was worried you were just going to roll over and take it (O_o) but glad to see you're planning on fighting it. All the best :) By the sounds of it the guy is a mega douche and someone needs to take him down.

Today has been a helping people out day. Helped Smelliot with some application he needs to prep, read through Jodie's assignment, helped another friend with some uni stuff. And done a bit of stuff for myself. I was so sure yesterday that today I would be all fired up to do work and its not happened so much. Did some drawing. Kinda stagnated with the photoshopping. Its so fiddly, I can't be bothered.

But my Togepi hatched so its all good.

Good for you, Dyson! Well done on stepping up to the bullying. I know how you can get trapped in such situations. I hope you get somewhere with the charges. :)

aww dyson that's mega fail. I went through the exact same thing when I worked in retail.

Asked the boss if I could go because I had a taxi waiting (and I had nothing else to do anyway) and he flipped out... It was 45 minutes after I was supposed to finish! It seems like managers expect far too much. I think the whole event traumatised me, never want to go back to retail ever again =(

But my Togepi hatched so its all good.

So did mine!

*Togepi hatch five*

The bit where you fight the sinspawn there is always the bit where I finally find myself into the story and loving it again.

Agreed, finally around to the part where you meet auron! I forget how much I love this story and the characters.

Which is why I don't want to play ff13 anymore, its so much more disconnected than 10 is.

Agreed, finally around to the part where you meet auron! I forget how much I love this story and the characters.

Which is why I don't want to play ff13 anymore, its so much more disconnected than 10 is.

The real question is....are you a blitzballer?

The real question is....are you a blitzballer?

I totally am, blitzball is awesome.

Some of the scenes from ffx are inspiring me for next year, we get a year long project to do as we wish, sorely tempted to do a 3d scene based on some of the scenes in ffx.

Thats dedication for you.

I just got back from Theme Fest.

Two major things happened, I'll write up a full report tomorrow when I'm not knackered off my face, but the first epic major thing was GOAFER turning up unannounced as an April Fools yesterday. He met us outside the gate and I was...

...I did not contain my excitement.

So thats just too good. He's too much of a legend.

BUT the other epic thing happened about 5 hours ago. The most fucking ballsy legendary thing that I have ever done. I was a fucking god.

Cliffhanger win.