NEurope

Today, I finally came to the realisation that I'm being shafted and that it has to stop. 8 months ago when I started working I thought I could put up with a few nights of extra time to get the shop on its feet. It wasn't going to be something that happened often by any means, after a while I'd be working a normal day like everybody else. Fast forward to present day where I've been asked to do 4 hours unpaid overtime tomorrow and I'm not having any of it. I said I wasn't going to and he's told me I am. He wants me in at 8am when I'm meant to start at 12 tomorrow. Usually I'd agree and sweep it under the carpet but tomorrow I'm turning up at 12 and speaking to HR in the hours before. It's making me depressed and constantly angry, and I can't keep going like this.

My main concern is finding work elsewhere. I remember what it was like for the 6 months when I was job-seeking, it was horrible, but at least I wasn't getting bullied daily. I need out, and fast.

I can't believe you put up with it for so long.

Why would you ever agree to do unpaid work for more than an hour?

I did it once for an hour when I came back to my old work to say hi. Turns out they were short staffed and the supervisor (my fellow colleague who had since been promoted) was quite stressed. I offered to work for an hour (as I know what a supervisor does) for free.

I'd never EVER work more than that unpaid. What a load of bullshit Dyson, suck it up (:laughing:) and be a man! You've gotta fight for your right to geeeeet paid!

I apologise, its first thing in the morning and I'm hyper because I have an interview in about an hour.

If it's unpaid work then keep a record of it.

Then add up your full hours (paid and unpaid) and then get your full pay and divide it by the full amount of hours you've worked.

If your hourly rate is below minimum wage then your employer will have to pay you until the hourly rate is minimum wage.

This applies even if you've agreed to unpaid work, or if you sign a contract for the unpaid work. Both of these simply become void if it means you're working below minimum wage.

Interview was a little shaky, it was for an application that I don't really want to do, so I didn't research it as much as I probably could have, but oh well, I think can sell myself well with competencies (+ a lie or so) so we shall see!

Interview was a little shaky

Thats what the manager of the Dwarf Hand Job Clinic said.

Past week has been a bit of madness. Went out to New York with best bud to go and stay with my sister who's living out there for the time being. Had a wonderful time, and was great to see and spend time with her, and do all the generic touristy things whilst we were at it. Got back yesterday morning and am still feeling the lag, it always gets me bad.

Saw male companion yesterday and ended up going to the National Theatre to see The Power Of Yes, which under any other circumstances I wouldn't have minded, but was feeling none too cereberal and it followed in making me feel very stupid. He insisted though.

Had a bit of a realisation last night and this morning, and think it's time I went to the doctors. I think I know what's coming/what I'm going to be told, and I really don't want it to be true, but so far ignoring it hasn't helped it. Feeling really quite scared but at the same time a little relief already too.

That's cool man. Good to see you're making progress.

Which company is it with?

Asylum-Entertainment.

The interview went ok I thought, bit strange as it was only the second job interview I've been to. And it was informal, just chatting, didn't check my certificates or grades from uni or school, and didn't ask to look at any of my previous work. Which I thought was odd but I rolled with it, really nice guys though so hopefully something comes from it.

I came home afterwards had something to eat then fell asleep on the sofa for a few hours, I can never sleep properly when I have things on my mind.

Spent the last two days reading about Louis Althusser. If anyone knows about him, Foucault and Bourdieu message me because I have questions. Not basic questions, so if you only kind of know about them...I already know more.

Got my exam timetable and I have to say...it's pretty amazing.

My friend asked me what I was aiming for and I said a 2:1 and she asked me what I was really aiming for and I muttered a First (My logic being if I aim for a magical First securing a 2:1 should be pretty smooth sailing) but she's really great and she says I can do it which is nice to hear from someone who knows me that well (all through my flunking out of Japanese and stuff). Things look promising. *fingers triple crossed*

Started my website back up too, after a two week break. It's my exam revision website, pretty much interesting shit I learn and can be bothered to post about. http://www.theextincthitchhiker.com

...not really sure how much it makes sense to anyone but me...

Had a bit of a realisation last night and this morning, and think it's time I went to the doctors. I think I know what's coming/what I'm going to be told, and I really don't want it to be true, but so far ignoring it hasn't helped it. Feeling really quite scared but at the same time a little relief already too.

What's wrong?

I think I need to see a councillor. And when I say 'see' I'm really thinking 'rant/shout at'.

Almost had a panic attack on the bus this morning. Although it's not as serious as that sounds, calmed myself down pretty quickly unlike last time. Was probably just me feeling fever-t. :heh:

In regards to theorists, you probably know more so I won't PM but curious what you want to know. I need to live academically through others at present.

And councilor, all unis provide one so you could just use that to rant to.

Having one of those days where I'm just feeling so disconnected from the world. I hate how all my friends live far away and I can't afford to keep going on the train to see them, plus they're either busy or whatever. I think I'll be fine tomorrow. Need to sleep and be born anew. Think I'll arrange to see someone from one of my lectures (not the student, just someone else). I feel the need to chat and drink whiskey. And I'm not even particularly fond of whiskey.

Edited by Ashley

What is the difference between Althusser's 'epistemological break' (and notions of ideology) and Foucault's ideas on 'discourse'?

Althusser argued that Marx inverted the science of history, what about the Young Hegelians?

Is Althusser's notion of the 'problematic' restricted to schools of thought? If not, what the fuck is he on about?

Has Althusser actually had an original thought in his life?

In regards to theorists, you probably know more so I won't PM but curious what you want to know. I need to live academically through others at present.

And councilor, all unis provide one so you could just use that to rant to.

Having one of those days where I'm just feeling so disconnected from the world. I hate how all my friends live far away and I can't afford to keep going on the train to see them, plus they're either busy or whatever. I think I'll be fine tomorrow. Need to sleep and be born anew. Think I'll arrange to see someone from one of my lectures (not the student, just someone else). I feel the need to chat and drink whiskey. And I'm not even particularly fond of whiskey.

I had one of those days recently, just feeling a bit generally rubbish. Hopefully things will be okay for you soon! :smile:

--

I'm 23 and I have my first freakin' spot today. >_>

Fail.

The more I look back on how I've been the past year/am at the moment, the more likely it seems that I've got depression. It's all there and it makes sense. I really hate saying this because it just sounds like I'm whining/being the clichéd teenager, but there's something really not right, and I've been like this for too long for it to be a passing thing. I'm not a moany person IRL. I don't know how I come across on here, but it's not in me to complain for no reason. I like things to go easy so it's taking a lot for me to say all of this. Past two months I've started getting these horrible panic attacks as well, I just can't seem to snap out of it. Bad times.

In terms of the counselling, I think I'm going to arrange to see the Uni one when I'm back in Sheffield, seems the right thing to do.

Uuuurgh I just read that over and I sound like such a boring twat.

*Panic attack high 5!*

...hmm....

Take solace in the fact that depression is a potential side effect of our times.

...Or force yourself to smile 3 times (hold for 5 seconds. Take a 3 second break between each smile) and let the chemicals in your body do the work.

My dad runs/ not quite runs the Sheffield student support team. They some good people- you should go see them.

The more I look back on how I've been the past year/am at the moment, the more likely it seems that I've got depression. It's all there and it makes sense. I really hate saying this because it just sounds like I'm whining/being the clichéd teenager, but there's something really not right, and I've been like this for too long for it to be a passing thing. I'm not a moany person IRL. I don't know how I come across on here, but it's not in me to complain for no reason. I like things to go easy so it's taking a lot for me to say all of this. Past two months I've started getting these horrible panic attacks as well, I just can't seem to snap out of it. Bad times.

In terms of the counselling, I think I'm going to arrange to see the Uni one when I'm back in Sheffield, seems the right thing to do.

If its Sheffield Hallam doctors:

My housemate goes, well fairly recently and she mentioned that the consellors there are actually fairly good.

Just got three essays back, marked 72, 74 and 78.

Why the fuck can't humanities instructors mark anything over an 85? Why? I'm Asian, and anything less than a 100 besmirches my dignity. NAAARGH.

Buried deep in my degree handbook was a little explanation about how all marks were scaled and the highest you'd ever get was an 85, so that a first was more difficult to get (your overall mark was less affected by a freaky outlier 100). Maybe there is a similar situation in play for you?

Yeah, well the problem is, that the boundary for a first is 70, but at this rate there is very little security...I'm constantly required to work hard, goddamnit. At A level, it was very much get a high mark for the first couple of modules and then see how much you can slack off and still get the desired grade.

If I was in any way an ethical person, I wouldn't be complaining about this. There's also the fact that we have to read postmodern critics such as Lacan and Derrida. Both of whom are utter monuments to vanity and pretension, and I cannot for the life of me, be bothered.

The new banner thing (Think it's new) is awesome / [original adjective]. That is all.

EDIT: Wow. I just clicked it. Wow.

I didn't even realise it's April Fools day. Never change it.

Edited by dan-likes-trees

This is inspired. My absence from the banner has not gone unnoticed...>_>

The more I look back on how I've been the past year/am at the moment, the more likely it seems that I've got depression. It's all there and it makes sense. I really hate saying this because it just sounds like I'm whining/being the clichéd teenager, but there's something really not right, and I've been like this for too long for it to be a passing thing. I'm not a moany person IRL. I don't know how I come across on here, but it's not in me to complain for no reason. I like things to go easy so it's taking a lot for me to say all of this. Past two months I've started getting these horrible panic attacks as well, I just can't seem to snap out of it. not-so-[original adjective] times.

I know it often takes away to inconsequentially link to stuff, but

You have friends.

Godammit. Now I have no lee in which to shelter from the storm of barbaric penny-faux-surrealism this day brings against me every year! I'm going to bed! Bastardos!

This is inspired. My absence from the banner has not gone unnoticed...>_>

You're the guy in the Mario hat.

Oh wait, that's Flink. You asians all look the same! :heh:

What have I become?

Edit: Oh, I am the same.

Yeah it was never meant to be an everyone kind of thing.

Hope nobody feels 'left out', it was merely the first ones that sprung to mind. Other admins are welcome to change names during the day if they wish. I should get some sleep.

Although Tellyn's new name is my favourite.