NEurope

Sup guys.

I see nothing has changed.

Today I learnt some more html. Awesomeo.

Didn't you change your name to just Kov? And also got banned?

Anyway welcome back.

If you've been offered a job at Blizzard then go for it, crazy fool!

I haven't been offered the job as such, I sent an email to Erin one of the top GM's (game masters) a couple of months ago, she said to re-send it her when I was free and she'd seriously consider my application.

Pooki it all depends on what I do, if I don't get into blizzard it might be less than two years if I get into blizzard it might be 3/4 years. I'm definately going to visit sometime 2010/2011 though.

Just curious what people here think about the amazing advice I gave my friend regarding her application to a school.

This is what the "specification" apparently was:

Person Specification

Clerical Assistant

Qualifications, Knowledge & Experience

• Numerate and literate with minimum of GCSE English and Maths or equivalent.

• Previous office experience

• Organised with good attention to detail.

• Experience of working in a team and helping colleagues.

• Experience of using IT including Microsoft Office and email.

Skills & Abilities

• Ability to prioritise tasks, manage time effectively and meet deadlines.

• Ability to cope effectively in a busy, demanding office.

• Proven ability to maintain confidentiality in all aspects of work.

• Ability to relate well with staff, pupils, parents, governors and outside agencies.

Personal Qualities

• Excellent communicator both in person, in writing and on the telephone.

• Ability to work on own initiative.

• Team player.

• Flexible and positive attitude to work.

This is the original document she wrote. The underlined bits are apparently what some woman at Connexions did. She is under the impression that this was clear and concise.

Person’s specification for Redhill school

Qualifications, knowledge & Experience

• I left school in 2000 where I gained seven GCSE’s grades B-E. I then went on to doing a Level 3 Access Course and gained a C in GCSE English. I am currently working on my Level 2 maths.

• I am currently doing some voluntary work in the Nottingham Women’s Centre where I am the first point of contact face to face and on the telephone. I deal with enquiries ranging from educational courses to the provision of services such as counselling. Occasionally I am asked to perform other office duties including filing, photocopying and shredding.

• As Sales Assistant in BB’s Coffee and Muffins there were weekly food deliveries: I would make sure that everything was on the ordering list in the stock room by ticking off the boxes of products by ticking every box and counting the contents that were delivered that morning. I was always accurate, as if there wasn’t the right box with the right amounts of products I would make a note and call the company back telling them there has been an error and if they could send the right box with the correct quantity

As an Explorer Leader I have to be organised e.g. preparing letter to parents so they get back to me the following week in order for the young people to go on an evening event e.g. ice skating.

• In April 2009 I completed a navigation challenge as part of my Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award, working with a group of people who embarked on a challenge in unfamiliar countryside. I am very good at taking responsibility for tasks to help with making the team run smoothly for example, during my navigation challenge I was in charge of sorting out meals for the expedition trip. Through the expedition trip I helped a team member who was struggling with the expedition by helping him carry his bags and encouraging him to continue on by singing silly songs.

In addition to the above team member experience, I can also draw on my skills working independently. For example, in my Duke of Edinburgh award I was tasked with organising a trip to a local synagogue for a team of thirteen. I researched, booked and oversaw the whole operation which was deemed a highly successful event by all. I create working relationships by having a professional, forward looking and friendly attitude. I maintain such contacts via regular updates and communications ensuring everyone feels involved in processes and task management.

• While studying for my Access Course I had to write essays daily, which helped to increase my typing speed to 30 words per minute (an equivalent to an RSA 1). I am extremely competent in using emails as I frequently use them to communicate with friends, family and lecturers. I am familiar with Excel which I use for personal banking records: I am also familiar with Power Point which I have used to help for visual aids when preparing presentations as part of my Access Course.

Skills & Abilities

• I am very competent at prioritising tasks, managing time effectively and meeting deadlines for example during my Access Course I was getting at least two essays per week from different subjects and I managed to prioritise my time as well as meeting deadlines, otherwise it wouldn’t have been marked.

• I have had to learn how to cope with a demanding office environment; as the Women’s Centre where I do volunteer work can get busy at times with telephones calls and face to face enquires. I am able to maintain confidential information within a working environment for example in the Women’s Centre a lot of women enquire about speaking to counsellors on very sensitive issues e.g. domestic violence and rape When I do my volunteering with the Scouting organisation a lot of young people aged between 14-16 will discuss problems which I never disclose - unless it relates to abuse, then it has to be passed on to the relevant person.

• As an Explorer Leader there are a lot camps involved where we get to meet new people and other explorers. I am able to communicate effectively to young people as well as adults. At The Women’s Centre I have to talk to a wide range of different people, as I am the first point of contact for enquires.

Personal Qualities

• I have developed good written and communication skills in order to talk well to others. I can give clear oral instructions e.g. on what the plan is for a Scout event. Throughout my Access course I had to express myself clearly both orally and in written work.

• I am able to use my own judgement to fulfil a task for instance, as a Scout events and fundraising co-ordinator if I was planning anything big I would make sure I had done the ground work. For example, making phone calls to companies or writing letters to companies and parents.

• I am a great team player and really thrive in a supportive team. (please see previous scouting, Duke of Edinburgh and Access Course examples). I am very eager to work in a new environment to help me develop as an individual.

I have a fully flexible approach to reasonable requests and to changing shift patterns when necessary.

Taking up a rocking 3 pages.

Then came your humble fabulous, and his extensive wisdom when it came to this matter, with the magic of coloured text:

Person’s specification for Redhill school

Sexy Derek’s text: You haven’t kept it clear and concise in certain areas. Find my areas of attention and a recommended structure within each bullet point.

Qualifications, knowledge & Experience

• I left school in 2000 where I gained seven GCSE’s grades B-E. I then went on to doing a Level 3 Access Course and gained a C in GCSE English. I am currently working on my Level 2 maths.

• I am currently doing some voluntary work in the Nottingham Women’s Centre where I am the first point of contact face to face [“Face-to-face contact”] and on the telephone. I deal with enquiries ranging from educational courses to the provision [The what?] of services such as counselling. Occasionally I am asked to perform other office duties including filing, photocopying and shredding. [These don’t have to be mentioned. Saying office duties will encompass the little things like shredding]

• I am currently involved in some voluntary work at the Nottingham Women’s Centre, where I am one of the first points of contact, both face-to-face and over the phone. I deal with a range of enquiries including educational courses to counselling. As such I have had experience within the office environment.

• As Sales Assistant in BB’s Coffee and Muffins there were weekly food deliveries: I would make sure that everything was on the ordering list in the stock room by ticking off the boxes of products by ticking every box and counting the contents that were delivered that morning. I was always accurate, as if there wasn’t the right box with the right amounts of products I would make a note and call the company back telling them there has been an error and if they could send the right box with the correct quantity. [None of this is needed, especially not in this amount of detail. No one cares if you tick boxes. If they want you to go into this, they will ask during an interview. You can’t give out every single detail now, as you’ll have nothing to say during the interview]

• As a sales assistant at BB’s Coffee & Muffins [this is what it’s really called?] I developed experience with dealing with the public, as well as handling the stock deliveries each morning.

As an Explorer Leader I have to be organised e.g. preparing letter to parents so they get back to me the following week in order for the young people to go on an evening event e.g. ice skating.

• In April 2009 I completed a navigation challenge as part of my Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award, working with a group of people who embarked on a challenge in unfamiliar countryside. I am very good at taking responsibility for tasks to help with making the team run smoothly for example, during my navigation challenge I was in charge of sorting out meals for the expedition trip. Through the expedition trip I helped a team member who was struggling with the expedition by helping him carry his bags and encouraging him to continue on by singing silly songs.

• In April 2009 as part of my Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award I completed a navigation challenge [say where] with a group of [say how many] people. Throughout the challenge I was responsible for the groups’ meals, as well as keeping up team morale. For another excursion to a synagogue, I researched and oversaw the whole project. It was deemed a success.

In addition to the above team member experience, I can also draw on my skills working independently. For example, in my Duke of Edinburgh award I was tasked with organising a trip to a local synagogue for a team of thirteen. I researched, booked and oversaw the whole operation which was deemed a highly successful event by all. I create working relationships by having a professional, forward looking and friendly attitude. I maintain such contacts via regular updates and communications ensuring everyone feels involved in processes and task management.

I don’t think this is needed at all after adding it above.

• While studying for my Access Course I had to write essays daily, which helped to increase my typing speed to 30 words per minute (an equivalent to an RSA 1). I am extremely competent in using emails as I frequently use them to communicate with friends, family and lecturers. I am familiar with Excel which I use for personal banking records: [They won’t care that much with what you use things for, just that you know how to use them] I am also familiar with Power Point [PowerPoint, it’s one word] which I have used to help for visual aids when preparing presentations as part of my Access Course.

• During my Access Course I wrote essays daily, which helped increase my typing speed to 30 words per minute, which is the equivalent to an RSA 1. As such I have had much experience with computers, and find myself confident in using Word, Excel and PowerPoint effectively.

Skills & Abilities

• I am very competent at prioritising tasks, managing time effectively and meeting deadlines for example during my Access Course I was getting at least two essays per week from different subjects and I managed to prioritise my time as well as meeting deadlines, otherwise it wouldn’t have been marked. [No shit? Of course they wouldn’t have been marked if you hadn’t handed them in. You already mentioned your essays earlier, no need to repeat yourself]

• I have had to learn how to cope with a demanding office environment; as the Women’s Centre where I do volunteer work can get busy at times with telephones calls and face to face enquires. I am able to maintain confidential information within a working environment for example in the Women’s Centre a lot of women enquire about speaking to counsellors on very sensitive issues e.g. domestic violence and rape [This is you being confidential?]. When I do my volunteering with the Scouting organisation a lot of young people aged between 14-16 will discuss problems which I never disclose - unless it relates to abuse, then it has to be passed on to the relevant person.

• Working at the Women’s Centre has given me experience in being able to work in a demanding office environment successfully. I am able to maintain confidentiality on a wealth of very sensitive and private issues. As a volunteer with the Scouting Organisation I dealt with young people ages 14-16 in a similar confidential manner, unless it was absolutely necessary to bring it to the attention of the appropriate authorities.

• As an Explorer Leader there are a lot camps involved where we get to meet new people and other explorers. I am able to communicate effectively to young people as well as adults. At The Women’s Centre I have to talk to a wide range of different people, as I am the first point of contact for enquires. [You need to stop repeating yourself; you’ve mentioned all of this before.]

Personal Qualities

• I have developed good written and communication skills in order to talk well to others. I can give clear oral instructions e.g. on what the plan is for a Scout event. Throughout my Access course I had to express myself clearly both orally and in written work.

I have good written and oral communication skills, and I do not have a problem with being responsible for others. I work well in a team and am always eager to try new things to develop my skills or learn new ones.

• I am able to use my own judgement to fulfil a task for instance, as a Scout events and fundraising co-ordinator if I was planning anything big I would make sure I had done the ground work. For example, making phone calls to companies or writing letters to companies and parents.

• I am a great team player and really thrive in a supportive team. (please see previous scouting, Duke of Edinburgh and Access Course examples). I am very eager to work in a new environment to help me develop as an individual.

• I have a fully flexible approach to reasonable requests and to changing shift patterns when necessary.

Right, this is what your thing should look like. To my degree.

• I am currently involved in some voluntary work at the Nottingham Women’s Centre, where I am one of the first points of contact, both face-to-face and over the phone. I deal with a range of enquiries including educational courses to counselling. As such I have had experience within the office environment.

• As a sales assistant at BB’s Coffee & Muffins [this is what it’s really called?] I developed experience with dealing with the public, as well as handling the stock deliveries each morning.

• In April 2009 as part of my Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award I completed a navigation challenge [say where] with a group of [say how many] people. Throughout the challenge I was responsible for the groups’ meals, as well as keeping up team morale. For another excursion to a synagogue, I researched and oversaw the whole project. It was deemed a success.

• During my Access Course I wrote essays daily, which helped increase my typing speed to 30 words per minute, which is the equivalent to an RSA 1. As such I have had much experience with computers, and find myself confident in using Word, Excel and PowerPoint effectively.

• Working at the Women’s Centre has given me experience in being able to work in a demanding office environment successfully. I am able to maintain confidentiality on a wealth of very sensitive and private issues. As a volunteer with the Scouting Organisation I dealt with young people ages 14-16 in a similar confidential manner, unless it was absolutely necessary to bring it to the attention of the appropriate authorities.

• I have good written and oral communication skills, and I do not have a problem with being responsible for others. I work well in a team and am always eager to try new things to develop my skills or learn new ones.

Takes up only one page. Now I don't claim it to be perfect, but I'm damn sure it's an improvement on the source document. And if I buggered anything up, it's her fault for not doing it that good herself.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Didn't you change your name to just Kov? And also got banned?

Anyway welcome back.

Nope, as far as I know. I do see two yellow card things in my profile, I don't know what they are or why I got them?

After not being here for a while I realised how much of my time was wasted on here. I don't expect to be posting as much as I used to do.

Staying on topic, I woke up and had breakfast.

"[These don’t have to be mentioned. Saying office duties will encompass the little things like shredding]"

Shredding is very important - companies like people to be aware of data protection - personally I would expand on that point.

[None of this is needed, especially not in this amount of detail. No one cares if you tick boxes. If they want you to go into this, they will ask during an interview. You can’t give out every single detail now, as you’ll have nothing to say during the interview]

data validation is very important too although yes its not needed in so much detail, more along the lines of "receiving deliveries and ensuring all is present and correct"

[This is you being confidential?]

no names mentioned so that's not really an issue.

"[These don’t have to be mentioned. Saying office duties will encompass the little things like shredding]"

Shredding is very important - companies like people to be aware of data protection - personally I would expand on that point.

Expand like the box ticking issue?

"I put the paper in the shredder lengthways, and make sure it's cut in nice vertical lines, exactly 23 pieces, then I jumble it up and sell it to tombola's for their lucky dip" ?

[side note: Lucky Dips were fucking awesome]

data validation is very important too although yes its not needed in so much detail, more along the lines of "receiving deliveries and ensuring all is present and correct"

So pretty much what I said?

[This is you being confidential?]

no names mentioned so that's not really an issue.

True, but I still wouldn't feel comfortable with saying "So I was talking to this lass who got bumraped..." just because I left the names out.

Nope, as far as I know. I do see two yellow card things in my profile, I don't know what they are or why I got them?

After not being here for a while I realised how much of my time was wasted on here. I don't expect to be posting as much as I used to do.

I'd just like to say...fucking Welcome Back! :D

It should say why you got them, at least my pr0 ones do.

Expand like the box ticking issue?

"I put the paper in the shredder lengthways, and make sure it's cut in nice vertical lines, exactly 23 pieces, then I jumble it up and sell it to tombola's for their lucky dip" ?

[side note: Lucky Dips were fucking awesome]

So pretty much what I said?

True, but I still wouldn't feel comfortable with saying "So I was talking to this lass who got bumraped..." just because I left the names out.

1/ Expand the security issue - shredding is vital because of client confidentiality, not how you shred :indeed:

2/ pretty much but throwing in fancy terms like data validation, and big words that look good

3/ it was a women's refuge - so maybe "dealing with sensitive issues" would suffice, as I'm sure most people can imagine the situations in a place like that. But its never going to be a big deal if its just using "rape" because you aren't specifying what happened and who to.

I've done a lot of interviews for this kind of thing, they base the job description on what they are looking for and they themselves "tick boxes". If they say that the job involves data validation, work it in with past experience.

Client confidentiality is VERY VERY important. I was interviewed several times and they asked me in depth how I'd maintain client confidentiality.

Shredding is awesome!

:D

Guitars-01-june.gif

Oh right, not that type of shredding then... >.>'

Client confidentiality is VERY VERY important. I was interviewed several times and they asked me in depth how I'd maintain client confidentiality.

How did you answer?

"How would you maintain client confidentiality?"

"I'd shred the shit out of it."

Please tell me you said that.

How did you answer?

"How would you maintain client confidentiality?"

"I'd shred the shit out of it."

Please tell me you said that.

well this is more of a interview question answer situation:

1/ lock all filing cabinets and doors when leaving the office

2/ using shredding facilities for anything to be binned

3/ lock computer/log off when not at desk

4/ use secure passwords, change these regularly, and do not share with colleagues.

5/ if anyone requests client information make sure that you have gained permission from line manager to give this nature of information out.

6/ keeping monitors away from the view of windows

7/ do not abuse systems for personal means

8/ do not send unsecured client information over email - use password protection.

well this is more of a interview question answer situation:

1/ lock all filing cabinets and doors when leaving the office

2/ using shredding facilities for anything to be binned

3/ lock computer/log off when not at desk

4/ use secure passwords, change these regularly, and do not share with colleagues.

5/ if anyone requests client information make sure that you have gained permission from line manager to give this nature of information out.

6/ keeping monitors away from the view of windows

7/ do not abuse systems for personal means

8/ do not send unsecured client information over email - use password protection.

I shall remember this if I ever get interviewed for a relevant job. This shit is gold.

I completely forgot the hilarious Theme Fest quote.

In the tent on the first night

They should make sound proof tents.

They do. They're called buildings.

Just a reminder: This is not the Meangingless Post of the Day thread. People lately have been getting fairly spammy.

Anywho, today I've been spending most of the day trying to squish this throat thing. It seems to be a bug going around and as its just a throat thing its not swine flu (which apparently typically requires more than one symptom and from what I gather knocks you for six anyway). Also spent the day doing GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) practice tests because they contain a sentence correction section which I think will be part of my work-based task tomorrow during this interview. Also read over the specs, prepped answers in my head, read up on the various legislations regarding disabled students and I think I'm all prepared for tomorrow. Just pray to Allah that my throat is better (or, at least, no worse than today).

Pushing Daisies then bed methinks :)

Been a long day. Not feeling particularly great as I seem to have an upset stomach. Nice :indeed:

Sat and read Plato's The Crito for my philosophy class and I think most of it has gone over my head. I can understand that a translation from ancient Greek will give you broken English but I just found myself getting a little muddled with it. Then tried to do a worksheet that coincides with the reading and got frustrated. Trying to define what 'reasonable' is started out easy enough but then the worksheet was filled with, in my opinion, stupid questions. I've answered most and done notes for others but with it not due till my thursday tutorial, I'll write it up properly later in the week.

Going to be a ridiculously long day tomorrow with me leaving the house at 9am and not getting back till 7pm and most of that will be spent at Uni bar an hour and a half. Fun times.

I'm on course to go well into my overdraft, and knowing my luck I will actually pass my test this time and have to fork out for insurance.. argh debt is scary.

I've got a freakin' infection in my finger, blah. I cant take antibiotics on all of the concoction of drugs I'm on. So I gotta let it ride out and hope for the best. I've taken my meds again so it's gonna be a rough few days getting over the sickness/tiredness. My mum was worrying about my medications.. which is a bit scary because she never worries ¬_¬

I'm already in to my overdraft. And past it by £11, too. Not good. Come on then, Abbey, hit me with your overdraft fees..

Today I've been sorting out a few PC things, watching The Office and got a free camera. I was also thinking of installing Windows 7... but I'm worried about it being unstable as I'll be using it as my main PC... and I start back at uni in a couple of days.

I'm already in to my overdraft. And past it by £11, too. Not good. Come on then, Abbey, hit me with your overdraft fees..

I have an authorised overdraft of 2k with halifax (with no fees that I'm aware of - I'll soon see). back in the day I had no authorised overdraft, I went into negative by FIFTEEN FUCKING PENCE and they charged me £30! >_<

I've never been into an authorised overdraft before but here's hoping I don't get brutalised with fees =( I've raped what savings I do have to buy a car, and the rest is tied up in stuff I can't really get access to. Such a failure with money :red:

No, if you go in to an authorised overdraft there are no fess so to speak, but you do pay interest*. It should be in the letter you got when they gave you your overdraft.

*Unless you have an interest free overdraft like me, the "student".. :heh: