NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Columnar

Dreamcast is 8 today (Oct 14th)!!!

So it just occured to me that the Dreamcast launched here in good ol' Blightly EIGHT years ago today (14.10.99) after being delayed by three weeks. What are people's memories of the launch period (remember - when most people seemed to love the DC before the horror that followed)?

I was an impressionable 14-year old at the time and after having loved the Saturn to death I was amazed the first time I saw Sonic Adventure and Virtua Fighter 3tb (good times :) )

It breaks my heart to think what happened only 2 and a half years later but was just wondering what fellow DC owners feel about that period and if there was anything that could have been done differently?

I remember when i was 8 years younger (so i was 8...)

Thinking this was the "shitty console" having enver even tried one.

One of the best and unappriciated games consoles ever made.

Happy birthday Dreamcast.

Happy Birthday Dreamcast!! ^^

I'm glad I've still got mine, I was thinking of selling it at one point. I'm too attached to it to sell it though.

I buyed a Dreamcast when there where no more games selling xD

I Was so dumb at that time xD

But i remember playing Sonic Adventures :), the game was awesome

I remember I had mine preordered at Currys and was on Nightshift the day it came out. I got up at 9 and walked up to Currys and collected it then went back to bed. I got Power Stone and Sonic Adventure at launch.

What Jordan said is so true, the Cast was an amazing console ( apart from the pad design ) with many classic games. It was a great console if you were into fighting games. Power Stone 1 and 2 were simply amazing as was Project Justice and Marvel Vs Capcom 2. It was also the console that really birthed the PGR series with MSR and it was the first console to get Resident Evil CV.

So many good memories :bowdown:

I love Dreamcast. One of my favourite consoles ever. I probably appreciate it more now though.

Played Crazy Taxi to death. Probably my most played game ever, I absolutely love that game. Also it's the console of Shenmue and Shenmue II, which are my favourite games of all time.

I actually got a Japanese Dreamcast about four months before European release. I saw soul calibur vidz on the web and was shocked how good the graphics were. next day I went to CEX and picked up a Dreamcast with Soul Calibur and Sega Rally 2. Happy days. :)

I still play my DC as I love my 2-D fighters. Street Fighter III: Third Strike with an arcade stick rules!!

Dreamcast. Fantastic console and really unnapreciated. So ahead of it's time and some good games.

I will never sell mine.

Never got one when they came out but have one now because of fond memories playing on my mates. It truly is a great console and if I didn't have an assignment due in tomorrow I'd probably be playing it now. Just looked through my games and I have:

Fur Fighters

Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation

Soul Calibur

Marvel Vs Capcom

Power Stone

Chu Chu Rocket(Don't remember ever buying that and have never played it)

Street Fighter Alpha 3

and empty cases for Aerowings and Sonic Adventure 2.

Happy Birthday Dreamcast. We had some great times. :grin:

But we'd have some more good times when my brother can be arsed to fix you... :blank:

What's with the LCD screen on the pad?

That wasn't part of the pad, that was the VMU (Visual Memory Unit), essentially it told you information about what was going on in the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMU

Really smart tool.

That wasn't part of the pad, that was the VMU (Visual Memory Unit), essentially it told you information about what was going on in the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMU

Really smart tool.

Ah! I saw a bundle with it in and several games in Gamestation the other day, but I was ten pounds short!

I've only ever played a Dreamcast once. It was in some auto shop, they had one connected to a television in the waiting area (like the ones with ps3s and that in games shops). And it had Crazy Taxi on it. I was hooked to Crazy Taxi, whilst my dad was negotiating getting a new car.

Alas, even though I enjoyed Crazy Taxi, I never got a dreamcast, and tbh, it didn't even occur to me at the time whether I should get one or not, since it flew straight out of my mind. However, I did get given Crazy Taxi with my PS2 console for a birthday, so all is good.

The Dreamcast is one of the most over rated games consoles ever. It had a handful of good games and did some things differently, but there was definitely a good reason why it was segas last console.

Let the damn DC die. It didnt excel at anything apart form being the early console.

The Dreamcast is one of the most over rated games consoles ever. It had a handful of good games and did some things differently, but there was definitely a good reason why it was segas last console.

Hardware-wise it was a very stable, well designed console. More dependable than the PS2. The controller felt good and the VMU was ingenious for playcalling in sports games.

Just because Sega mismanaged the business side and 3rd party relations doesnt mean it was overrated.

i remeber playing power gems or somthing like that (their was 2 sequals)

i was only 4 *flash back*

Its called 'Power Stone'.

You were 4? Jesus christ, when i was 4 i was playing my NES.

Sign in to follow this