NEurope
Helmsly

Wired interview with Perrin Kaplan (Smash brothers delay, Wii storage space)

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/10/interview-perri.html

WN: Another issue that’s coming down the pipe as more and more content appears on Virtual Console and with Wii Ware coming out is the issue of space on the Wii. You can’t run stuff off of the SD card. It all has to be on the onboard memory. Are you looking at solutions to expand this?

PK: I think that Nintendo loves to have a really clean approach to what they’re doing, and the idea is to not have too much of a packrat syndrome, where you’ve got so much stuff stacked up that… you want to just have products that you’re actually going to continue to use. Virtual Console’s a really good idea. And it’s on the server, so one Chris Kohler purchases it, it’s always his. You can download it again. So it’s a matter of what do I want to play today. I think we also did the tradeoff: for the price, the size, the flexibility of the system, for us to do all kinds of things. Instead of having a huge box.

WN: At the same time, my memory is full. I went to download the Neo Geo games, and it’s like, “you need x blocks of memory.” So it’s like playing a puzzle game, and I have to look at all my memory and think, what do I not want anymore, okay, I’ll move it over here… And it’s a laborious process. There’s just no plans to change this right now?

PK: We’re always talking. But if your refrigerator’s full, you’ve got to pull something out and put something else back in. That’s just the normal issue of space. I mean, really, are you using every single thing on there?

on Brawls delay:

Wired News: Okay. Super Smash Bros. just got delayed. What happened?

Perrin Kaplan: What did I just say to someone downstairs... I'm not calling it a delay. I'm calling it a Smash Bros. Perfection Program.

WN: Okay, go on.

PK: That's what they're going to do with it.

WN: But why did they? I mean, they've had a lot of time to work on this game, and it's a huge holiday title for Nintendo.

PK: So, when it launches, and you play it, I hope you'll call and tell me that it was worth it. You'll see.

Thought this was funny:

WN: Do you see the Wii as having a shorter lifespan, now, than the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360?

PK: I don't know that the PS3 has a lifespan yet.

hahah funny part where she says : PK: I don't know that the PS3 has a lifespan yet. ... right in their faces

Yea that bit was pretty funny. But gotta love Perrin for her short and unexplaining answers at times.

I'm gonna miss her, and so will Matt.

Storage will definitely become a much bigger issue when wii ware hits.

It is going to be sad when she leaves, the angriest woman in gaming! Remember how fed up she looked and sounded when they were unveiling the american wii launch details... and the way she scanned the audience and shout at people who were typing on computers in case they were doing live text feeds.... ahhh those were the days!

If people suddenly stop purchasing games pleading their storage space is full Nintendo will probably be forced to address the issue. Hit them in the pockets. I'd say strike but those beautiful, beautiful games...

There simply isn't enough space, and no matter what she says, it won't stop it being a fact.

She expects you all to delete the VC games and wii ware titles you're not currently using/playing frequently to make space for whatever new title you want. Then re-download those titles when you want to play them again (they don't charge you to redownload games you've already brought)

I guess its an answer but a lot of people would like to be able to have everything they've brought at the touch of a button.

They could let you to use an external hard drive via the USB sockets at the back OR just let you use the data straight of the SD memory cards without having to upload it onto the Wii's memory like you have to right now.

I think those changes could be added via firmware.

It's too much hassle to keep deleting my lovely VC games and then re-downloading them!! Isnt it? No? erm...

I like her style, shame shes leaving.

Total crap about the storage, we should be able to move them to the SD card, I know you'd see every VC game on a single card being sold on eBay, but hey it's unfair for us to pay for something and having to delete it and -redownload it. Total crap. Either a Nintendo Hard Drive is needed or just the ability to save them to SD cards.

PK: I don't know that the PS3 has a lifespan yet. lol

Its not a major problem, but I simply dont understand why they cant make it so we can addan external harddrive if we want - surely choice is a good thing, the machine is small, sleek and beautiful, but for the more serious gamer we can have more storgae to buy shit loads of VC games!

I think Nintendo are being a bit dictatorial about this issue.. if indeed this is the official line, I think it's a disgraceful attitude to the consumer. In order to keep things 'tidy' and dumbed-down they're telling customers to delete their VC purchases. Heaven forbid that we should come to a situation of 'packrat syndrome'.. I mean seriously, why not give the non-wiimote-flinging, console-literate people out there the option (who, one can safely assume, are the main market for downloadable content anyway)?

I know you can re-download them, but that's beside the point. Why have all those channel spaces there if they can't even be filled?! I've been fairly selective about my VC games, but as I see it pretty much all the N64 titles are essential (MK64 a possible exception), and these alone take up an awful lot of space. I'm afraid I can't buy the 'it's the price you pay for the price' line either, cos let's face facts, the Wii wasn't that cheap.

In her defense, she probably agrees with everything you just said, but she works for Nintendo so she has to tow the company line, which is basically 'give the minimum, charge the maximum and pile on the Mario'

GGGRRRRRR why are Nintendo so intent on keeping this line. Being able to redownload titles off the Shop Channel is not a decent trade off for a lack for the lack of storage space.

It sucks...I mean more and more games are coming out, if you delete them or move them onto to SD card you lose your save/suspend state...which is cack!

Is it piracy they are scared of? It has to be right.

Yeah I think so as soon as they allow you to run applications off SD cards they are worried either someone will find a loop hole to use it for piracy or people will run stuff of SD cards that they don't want to be run off on the Wii....

But surely having an SD card channel..that just brings up another wii menu or something and allow us to load VC/Wiiware games off them will help prevent it being a problem? or something like that...

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to wait three hours to load the flipping Shop Channel.

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to wait three hours to load the flipping Shop Channel.

To be honest I haven't timed how long it takes me to get into the Wii Shop, but thinking back on it... I don't think its ever taken three minutes, never mind three hours.

To be honest I haven't timed how long it takes me to get into the Wii Shop, but thinking back on it... I don't think its ever taken three minutes, never mind three hours.

It was an over-exaggeration. :heh: It still takes a bloody long time considering the Wii's meant to be connected to the Internet all the time.

Smash Bros Perfection program blah blah blah... Call it by the name, and don't be so childish about it.

That PS3 comment is funny though :happy:

We need icons like Perrin here in europe too. But yeah,it's true - they're being pretty stubborn on that storage space. I wonder how they'll resolve that once they start offering games once published on discs...