NEurope
Cube

Wii Music!

Zelda, mario, Metroid, Zack and Wicki, De Blob, Smash Bros, Mario Kart....yeah, fucking awful ;)

ANYWAYS!!!! I've got home and played this game for 15 minutes....and I think I love it :D OBVIOUSLY too early to tell but I think it's great. The controls are great (though not convinced by the violin stuff) and it's just really great fun playing the songs - I don't care about the midi quality and all I've played is Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, but fuck me what a rendition I gave, 80% on the off beat baby!!

Haven't tried out drum mode games or anything yet; going to have some tea before beasting it until the mario kart tourny at 9pm!!!

Yeah, lets get this back on topic chaps.

we all know it's shit anyway.

And can we keep any criticism constructive? (That goes for everyone.)

@ or else you will DIE

Have you actually played the game or are you just being a idiot on purpose

Oh. and it's also got an amazing box!

How so?

and I take it this game isn't as bad as it looked a few months back then?

How so?

and I take it this game isn't as bad as it looked a few months back then?

I've only dabbled but it looks the type of game I will get a lot of fun out of.

The box has a slip case which is just really good. The actualy box is filled with Miis playing instruments, the slip box has a cutout musical note on it, with the miis in the background visible, it's just really classy.

Okay, so played it more. And I still love it. Drum mode is amazing!! And yes, you can use the advanced drum control in the recording mode - woop!!!

I think the controls are excellent, and whoever says the timing is off is effing stupid! Works pretty much perfectly for me.

The only downers for me are:

1. The bell game is great. But each song lasts about 30 seconds. WAY too short and makes it borderline pointless!! And COMPLEX is still too easy :(

2. In fact, all the songs are pretty short. Each song lasts about 90 seconds....

3. When you go in to recording mode, you can't change what instruments the 'tutes' are playing. This is REALLY annoying!! And surely I'm being stupid and you can, as this is a terrible design decision!

Saying that I've played it over 2 hours straight and had great fun with it. Not the type of game I'll invest hours and hours into, but a great multiplayer game and the recording mode is great!

It IS fun for me, so mission accomplished for the makers really. This really challenges the concept of having fun through gaming. Traditionally game's fun came from a challenge in dexterity and object-driven goals. For me, Wii Music once again proves to me, personally, that there are other ways to induce this "fun" in my head while gaming.

I wish there were more options and modes, though. But I'm sure they will build on this and make Wii Music 2.

To an extent this is a birth of a new genre, possibly a dawn of a new era. How romantic :yay: I don't understand why those who don't like it complain so much really... just let it be. Every game has its demography just like food. Nothing wrong with that.

Sales of this game did not pas in the top 10 so it isnt selling like hot cakes. so is it really that good tell us in your score: 1 is really bad 10 is really good

Well, I'm loving it as much as I thought I would, did have a slight worry in the beginning though when the game makes you record your first performance (twinkle little star) and it turned out a bit iffy. But once I started going through the other songs, doing my own thing and most importantly, getting used to the controls, that quickly faded away. And what I was left with was pure Nintendo euphoria. :love:

This is as I expected a game that you really have to give time, lots and lots of time, if you just go in and play the first song / initial lessons and leave it at that, chances are you're gonna be left with a really bad impression of Wii Music. And that's exactly what I think has happened with the reviews for this game, I reckon the majority of reviewers just didn't have the patience to see it through and really get in to the heart and soul of the game. Also the impression they give to those that haven't experienced it is that it's simple, easy, or even plays itself! :indeed:

The fact is, this is actually a pretty difficult game in the sense that if you want to make good sounding songs you really have to work at it. Sure anyone can just grab the controllers and go totally mental with the dog suit or whatever and make a complete mess, but all they're doing is proving that they don't have the ability to play properly and have completely misunderstood the concept in the first place.

Even so, this obviously isn't going to be for everyone. "Hardcore gamers" are bound to dislike it, as it lacks traditional video game goals / isn't really a game. But if you're open minded / patient / have friends and family to play with / and (even slightly) creative, then you should definitely give it a try. It will bring a smile to your face. :smile:

so is it really that good tell us in your score: 1 is really bad 10 is really good
It really does depend on the individual. Personally I give it a 9 or even 10. For people that don't fit any of the criteria I posted above though, then it's probably a 0. :heh:

The only thing I would've liked to have seen would be more Nintendo songs. But at the same time I understand the immense amount of work it has taken the developers to even get 50 songs in the game that are all completely customisable and work with loads of different instruments, just read this interview and that becomes clear. At the end of the day they had to make sure it covered a broad range of styles. And I'm happy with the Nintendo songs, the classical stuff, La Bamba and September.

Anyway, this post has gone on for way too long already! :laughing:

If anyone wants to share vids, PM me with your Wii console code and I'll chuck you mine.

: peace:

We're Wii Music friends RedShell, send me something :D Have you tired the drumming mode yet? I love it! I'll actually use it when jamming with my house mates I think.

Also, how did you get into the official Wii Music promotional materials? Look at the banner on this very site - you're playing the drums!!

Sales of this game did not pas in the top 10 so it isnt selling like hot cakes. so is it really that good tell us in your score: 1 is really bad 10 is really good

Top 10 where? It's only been out a day?

Oh, and I'd give it an 8 so far. I'm multiplaying over the weekend so it may rise after that :)

Interesting to read some opinions about this , although it isn't something I can see myself getting excited about , but I won't pass judgement unless I get to play it.

But getting to play it will depend on renting it or seeing it in a bargain bin because I honestly can't see it justifying a full price release.

Top 10 where? It's only been out a day?

He means this month US sales thread.

well It isn't going to sell as well as the likes of wii fit...

I'm not sure who the game is aiming at?

people who are interested in music ?.

.. I'm a musician and I wouln't touch this with a pole and there is little music in the game that appeals to me bar the nintendo music I guess. It needed to be more complicated... I mean seriously guitar hero is as simple as it gets and it appeals to everyone.

people who aren't interested in music ?

then whats the point. I mean you're not going to buy fifa if you hate soccer or smackdown if you hate wrestling. and Not many people are going to like the music in this game.

kids?

they are likely to think this is lame compared to the likes of guitar hero and rock band.. there is also no music they would like on it at best.

teenagers:

no

adults or non gamers ?

problem with that is this game has no goal . wii fit was to lose weight,brian training was to improve your brain age.. Almost every other casual non gamer game has a point... I can see old adults seeing this as noise.

hardcore gamer/ nintendo purist?

well some of you seem to like this.

I'm just brainstorming every possible audience this game could have. I don't see a true success anywhere.

I'm just brainstorming every possible audience this game could have. I don't see a true success anywhere.

Therein lies its success :p

We've talked smack talk before about this Mcj - I think time will tell. Nintendo are already advertising it though...*cough* unlike Disaster *cough*.

I walked in the house tonight and my Gran said "how about we buy your Grandad that music game for his Wii?".

I nearly choked when she started saying the advert had the Entertainer on it and it looked like good fun for my Grandad who is tone deaf and can't hold a beat...

As I said, time will tell.

Well, for me - a 'traditionalist'. This sort of game just doesn't compare with a hearty adventure/online multiplayer co-operation game. (Thats just my 2 pence). No doubt, this can be "fun"... But really what game isn't? Chess is fun, Ludo is fun, bloody naughts and crosses is fun. "Fun" is not enough to justify me buying a full priced open-ended game... I mean credit crunch and all. :p

"Fun" is not enough to justify me buying a full priced open-ended game... I mean credit crunch and all. :p

Yeah but an open ended game should be perfect in this current financial climate. Would you not be more worried about forking out for a game you will only quickly play to a finish and then never again? :wink:

Yeah but an open ended game should be perfect in this current financial climate. Would you not be more worried about forking out for a game you will only quickly play to a finish and then never again? :wink:

Hmm, perhaps... But the thrill of such a game comes from the adventure. I'll definitely fork out for a TP style game over this one. Well, its a subjective view as its just my opinion. Though these days the online multiplayer pwn all sort of games are the ones I'm investing on. Perfect for those cosy winter nights.

Well, for me - a 'traditionalist'. This sort of game just doesn't compare with a hearty adventure/online multiplayer co-operation game. (Thats just my 2 pence). No doubt, this can be "fun"... But really what game isn't? Chess is fun, Ludo is fun, bloody naughts and crosses is fun. "Fun" is not enough to justify me buying a full priced open-ended game... I mean credit crunch and all. :p

And that's OK, it's pretty obvious this isn't for everyone. Very little games are actually. Just as long as you don't make stupid comments like some people, I'm sure no one minds you not liking the game. It's a shame that fun isn't what drives you to buy games though.

Maybe you are one of those that thinks that all games need to sell multiple millions to be a success, they don't. Also true sucess is making people smile! *counts roll of Nintendo cash*

And that's OK, it's pretty obvious this isn't for everyone. Very little games are actually. Just as long as you don't make stupid comments like some people, I'm sure no one minds you not liking the game. It's a shame that fun isn't what drives you to buy games though.

THANK YOU! Thank you for finally accepting my opinion, as my opinion. Def wasn't expecting that. :p My "fun" comes from doing something meaningful, with goals and aims. Thats just what motivates me. A game like Command and Conquer 3 TW just keeps me coming for more and more, and thats a beautiful thing. These days though, I can't really be spending £40 odd on games that don't stimulate my senses in that way. Wii Music is one of them - thats why I stay on these forums and on gaming sites whereby I can do my research and forecast what I should aim to get.

I've put a couple of hours into it so far, and my impressios are generally positive. I've made a Hawaiian sounding versino of the Zelda theme that I'm pretty pleased with for my first custom jam, and it's certainly been fun playing with all the different instruments. My main annoyances with it at the moment are:

- If you have an idea about what your improvisation wants to sound like and the game plays something different, it can be off-putting.

- It's a shame that most of the instruments don't actually need you to act like you're playing the real thing. You don't even need to make a bowing motion to play the violin, and instruments like the congos don't even let you do nunchuck = left drum, remote = right drum.

Still, I'm sure I'll be playing this for a while, as I'm keen to unlock more songs and improve my skills. Like RedShell said, although anyone can make a noise, it'll certainly take a lot of practice to get something sounding great.

‘Wii Music’ U.S. Launch Sales One Tenth Of ‘Wii Fit’ Debut Mark, Nintendo Not Panicking

First month sales of Nintendo’s newest Wii-branded game, the ambitious and unusual “Wii Music,” released last month fell far short of the mark set by May’s “Wii Fit” in its first month. But Nintendo is not expressing concern yet.

“You’ll see in [the NPD sales] that it did about somewhere [like] 65 or 66,000 based on our internal numbers for the two weeks that was reported,” Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo’s executive vice president of sales and marketing, told Multiplayer in an interview at the New York Grand Hyatt yesterday.

By comparison, NPD reported that “Wii Fit” sold more than 687,000 copies in its first month of sale. These aren’t blockbuster numbers, but Dunaway offered an explanation for the game’s performance: “We’re predicting that it’s going to be an evergreen title. And if you look at titles like ‘Brain Age,’ it’s about the same as what ‘Brain Age’ did during it’s first few weeks and went on to sell 2.5 million copies. ‘Wii Fit’ certainly had a larger launch than that. But I think that people are starting to understand ‘Wii Music.’”

In general, Nintendo hardware and software is hot. The Wii sold more than 800,000 units in October. “Wii Play” sold 282,000 copies, according to NPD. “Mario Kart Wii” sold 290,000. And “Wii Fit” tallied another 487,000 units that month. Those games do have legs, having each been on the market for months. (The new “Guitar Hero” for Wii also performed well, selling more than 183,000 units and easily outselling “Wii Music” despite coming out two weeks later.)

“Wii Music,” which has received harsher reviews from critics from the average Nintendo title, could just be a harder sell. “People have a box in their head of what music genre games are all about,” Dunaway said. “And we’re doing something that is a complete departure from that. As people start to experience that and tell other people about it, I have no doubt that ‘Wii Music’ is going to be a long-selling, top-selling game for us.”

Dunaway expressed a personal goal for selling the game: “I feel as EVP of sales and marketing, [it is] both a responsibility and a real opportunity and privilege to take this game that is so unique and so much from the heart of Mr. [shigeru] Miyamoto, and make sure that people are exposed to it and understand it.” To that end, Dunaway said Nintendo has been showcasing “Wii Music” with local musicians around the country and is working with schools and an organization representing 100,000 music educators in America to integrate the game into a music education curriculum.

So if anyone compares “Wii Fit” launch sales to “Wii Music” sales and deem the latter a failure, they’d be wrong? “They’d be off-base to say that,” Dunaway said. “Very few of our titles are launch-and-move-on these days. Certainly something like ‘Wii Music,’ we have a long-term commitment to.”