NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Supergrunch

Beautiful things

Within this thread, you can post anything you like that you consider to be beautiful, whatever it may be. I shall start with a Nabokov excerpt:

"It was necessary to shut the window: rain was striking the sill and splashing the parquet and armchairs. With a fresh, slippery sound, enormous silver specters sped through the garden, through the foliage, along the orange sand. The drainpipe rattled and choked. You were playing Bach. The piano had raised its lacquered wing, under the wing lay a lyre, and little hammers were rippling across the strings. The brocade rug, crumpling into coarse folds, had slid partway off the piano’s tail, dropping an opened opus onto the floor. Every now and then, through the frenzy of the fugue, your ring would clink on the keys as, incessantly, magnificently, the June shower slashed the windowpanes. And you, without interrupting your playing, and slightly tilting your head, were exclaiming, in time to the beat, “The rain, the rain… I am go-ing to drown it out….â€

But you could not.

Abandoning the albums that lay on the table like velvet coffins, I watched you and listened to the fugue, the rain. A feeling of freshness welled in me like the fragrance of wet carnations that trickled down from everywhere, from the shelves, from the piano’s wing, from the oblong diamonds of the chandelier."

Now it's your turn... posts taking the piss will be deleted. And as a general rule, avoid stuff that you have created.

When you walk through a storm

Hold your head up high

And don't be afraid of the dark

At the end of the storm

Is a golden sky

And the sweet silver song of a lark

Walk on through the wind

Walk on through the rain

Tho' your dreams be tossed and blown

Walk on, walk on

With hope in your heart

And you'll never walk alone

You'll never walk alone

A tree is a beautiful thing. Especially sitting under one, and there is the smell of tree around :)

From Dylan Thomas' Under Milk Wood

It is spring, moonless night in the small town, starless and bible-black, the cobblestreets silent and the hunched, courters'-and-rabbits' wood limping invisible down to the sloeblack, slow, black, crowblack, fishingboat-bobbing sea. The houses are blind as moles (though moles see fine tonight in the snouting, velvet dingles) or blind as Captain Cat there in the muffled middle by the pump and the town clock, the shops in mourning, the Welfare Hall in widows' weeds. And all the people of the lulled and dumbfound town are sleeping now.

Hush, the babies are sleeping, the farmers, the fishers, the tradesmen and pensioners, cobbler, schoolteacher, postman and publican, the undertaker and the fancy woman, drunkard, dressmaker, preacher, policeman, the webfoot cocklewomen and the tidy wives. Young girls lie bedded soft or glide in their dreams, with rings and trousseaux, bridesmaided by glow-worms down the aisles of the organplaying wood. The boys are dreaming wicked or of the bucking ranches of the night and the jollyrodgered sea. And the anthracite statues of the horses sleep in the fields, and the cows in the byres, and the dogs in the wetnosed yards; and the cats nap in the slant corners or lope sly, streaking and needling, on the one cloud of the roofs.

You can hear the dew falling, and the hushed town breathing. Only your eyes are unclosed, to see the black and folded town fast, and slow, asleep. And you alone can hear the invisible starfall, the darkest-before-dawn minutely dewgrazed stir of the black, dab-filled sea where the Arethusa, the Curlew and the Skylark, Zanzibar, Rhiannon, the Rover, the Cormorant, and the Star of Wales tilt and ride.

Only you can hear the houses sleeping in the streets in the slow deep salt and silent black, bandaged night. Only you can see, in the blinded bedrooms, the coms and petticoats over the chairs, the jugs and basins, the glasses of teeth, Thou Shalt Not on the wall, and the yellowing dickybird-watching pictures of the dead. Only you can hear and see, behind the eyes of the sleepers, the movements and countries and mazes and colours and dismays and rainbows and tunes and wishes and flight and fall and despairs and big seas of their dreams.

From where you are, you can hear their dreams.

You can hear Richard Burton read it here http://www.undermilkwood.net/prose_umw1.html

"Never seen a blue sky

Yeah I can feel it reaching out

And moving closer

There's something about blue

Asked myself what it's all for

You know the funny thing about it

I couldn't answer

No I couldn't answer

Things have turned a deeper shade of blue

And images that might be real

May be illusion

Keep flashing off and on

Free

Wanna be free

Gonna be free

And move among the stars

You know they really aren't so far

Feels so free

Gotta know free

Please

Don't wake me from the dream

It's really everything it seemed

I'm so free

No black and white in the blue

Everything is clearer now

Life is just a dream you know

That's never ending

I'm ascending "

When you walk through a storm

Hold your head up high

And don't be afraid of the dark

At the end of the storm

Is a golden sky

And the sweet silver song of a lark

Walk on through the wind

Walk on through the rain

Tho' your dreams be tossed and blown

Walk on, walk on

With hope in your heart

And you'll never walk alone

You'll never walk alone

Oh boy...

Look, YNWA is an alright song, but it is in no way spectacular or "beautiful". Just because Liverpool adopted it as their anthem does not make it a better song. Let's face it, you wouldn't be saying it's beautiful if you weren't a biased Liverpool fan.

Oh boy...

Look, YNWA is an alright song, but it is in no way spectacular or "beautiful". Just because Liverpool adopted it as their anthem does not make it a better song. Let's face it, you wouldn't be saying it's beautiful if you weren't a biased Liverpool fan.

its not the song that matters, its the feeling you get when singing it. I remember when liverpool lost in the euro champ this year, walking through liverpool about 20 mins after the final whistle and some busker was singing it on his own, then like 40 people joined in, was well good. Pretty beautiful feeling lol

The smell of pot is pretty beautiful!

Continue, but remember arguing is not beautiful. Debating can be, but I wouldn't advise it here. :wink:

"No, the journey doesn't end here.The gray rain curtain of this world rolls back and all turns to silver glass... and then you see it... White shores... And beyond... A far green country under a swift sunrise.” - Gandalf

Not really beautiful, but i like it.

And to get points with the mods - I find you beautiful Supergrunch

Oh boy...

I hate football and most of what it entails, but I do like that song, and it is nice as a song.

Oh boy...

What you have not experienced, you can never understand

"With a hey, ho, the wind and the rain, for the rain it raineth every day."

Act V Scene I Twelfth Night - William Shakespeare

I normally don't 'get' the big deal about Shakespeare, but I love that line.

In fear of sounding a little mooshy... but anyways :) waking up next to the woman you love's naked body, and watching her wake up with gleams of sunlight piercing through the curtains... thats beautiful to me :love:

In fear of sounding a little mooshy... but anyways :) waking up next to the woman you love's naked body, and watching her wake up with gleams of sunlight piercing through the curtains... thats beautiful to me :love:

It's Jim!

Legendary forum members coming back is beautiful.

Animals in their natural habitat, untouched land, certain males, erm...my companion putty-tats and my dearly departed companion dog.

Sign in to follow this