NEurope
flameboy

Monster Hunter Tri

Think I'm gonna start this tonight. How MMORPG-ish is it?

Nice :)

Well, just play and see ;) You don't actually level up skills, but your weaps and armour from the parts you carve from the monsters or harvest from the different areas. This creates an interesting double mechanic between the intense monster battles and more relaxed gathering. Also, the drops are not random, so you always know where to search for particular stuff...and the drop rates themselves are pretty balanced too. During 400 hours (!), very rarely have I found myself "grinding" just to find some missing pieces...really makes the game more enjoyable.

As for the online, you get exp from the quests. This raises your hunter rank (HR) and dictates, what quests are available to you. Other than that, it is just to show off :D At HR31, you'll get access to harder monsters and better equipment that is not found in offline. The online works in the same manner as the single player, i.e. you pick a quest in the city and then leave for the particular area. In contrast to the traditional MMORPGs, there's no interconnected hub world, but just separate cities (rooms) from which you and your party will launch into different missions. This gives the game a nice focus, i.e. finding a suitable city and nice party, and then just going directly for the monster / quest you want to tackle. In other words, no unnecessary travelling between places etc.

Overall, I think the game is pretty darn balanced, and with a great amount of depth...and the online is the best part! Just try tackling huge monsters with 3 other people, now that's awesome... :)

Nice :)

Well, just play and see ;) You don't actually level up skills, but your weaps and armour from the parts you carve from the monsters or harvest from the different areas. This creates an interesting double mechanic between the intense monster battles and more relaxed gathering. Also, the drops are not random, so you always know where to search for particular stuff...and the drop rates themselves are pretty balanced too. During 400 hours (!), very rarely have I found myself "grinding" just to find some missing pieces...really makes the game more enjoyable.

As for the online, you get exp from the quests. This raises your hunter rank (HR) and dictates, what quests are available to you. Other than that, it is just to show off :D At HR31, you'll get access to harder monsters and better equipment that is not found in offline. The online works in the same manner as the single player, i.e. you pick a quest in the city and then leave for the particular area. In contrast to the traditional MMORPGs, there's no interconnected hub world, but just separate cities (rooms) from which you and your party will launch into different missions. This gives the game a nice focus, i.e. finding a suitable city and nice party, and then just going directly for the monster / quest you want to tackle. In other words, no unnecessary travelling between places etc.

Overall, I think the game is pretty darn balanced, and with a great amount of depth...and the online is the best part! Just try tackling huge monsters with 3 other people, now that's awesome... :)

So, do you think I should hit the online like what... 10 hours into the game or so?

So, do you think I should hit the online like what... 10 hours into the game or so?

Yeah, just get in touch with the basics...the lvl 1 & 2 quests are good for that. By the time you've learned to capture monsters (lvl 2 quest), that's when you've pretty much covered the most important parts. Still, you can always jump online earlier if you feel like it...same kind of quests, now just with other people :)

I tried a few of the other weapon types, but they really don't seem to fit my style of play.
Looks like I spoke too soon, today I used the switch axe for the first time. Wow! :o

I still don't particularly like how sluggish it is compared to sword and shield, but when it hits, whoa does it hit! :D

Helped me finally defeat that puffer fish too, got him on my first attempt with the new weapon! :cool:

Just tried the winter area that opened up, looks amazing! It's always nice discovering new creatures and materials too. icon14.gif

Also got the double BBQ doosy now, loving the different tune that plays while cooking. :grin:

Damn... My Wii blew a fuse or something. I was just getting into it!!!! =/

Gah, I'm glad I keep my save files on an SD just in case. See you in a month, dear Wii. =(

Gah, I'm glad I keep my save files on an SD just in case. See you in a month, dear Wii. =(

Heh, ...that's what I told myself about my mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros. Brawl save files:heh:

Heh, ...that's what I told myself about my mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros. Brawl save files:heh:

I'm gonna lose them?

Meh, what the hell, they're practically useless anyway, except for one or 2.

I'm gonna lose them?

Meh, what the hell, they're practically useless anyway, except for one or 2.

Yes.

The save files of the two games aformentioned aren't able to be put on an SD card.

Either that, or you can put them on it, but you won't be able to put the files back on the Wii.

It's Bullshit of the purest kind!

Edited by Fused King

Yes.

The save files of the two games aformentioned aren't able to be put on an SD card.

Either that, or you can put them on it, but you won't be able to put the files back the Wii.

It's Bullshit of the purest kind!

You can also add this very game to that list too. In fact, pretty much any game that can be played online can't be moved/copied to SD card.

It is indeed, Bullshit of the purest kind! :heh:::shrug:

In fact, pretty much any game that can be played online can't be moved/copied to SD card.

Ah.. is that the reason, then? I never really noticed the connection before but Pro Evolution Soccer certainly backs up that argument!

So I defeated a Great Baggi last night, now I have an urgent quest to take on the big dude... Lagi-thingamajig! :heh:

Really not feeling confident about that though. :shakehead

Do you think Cha-Cha can take care of him for me? :laughing:

So I defeated a Great Baggi last night, now I have an urgent quest to take on the big dude... Lagi-thingamajig! :heh:

Really not feeling confident about that though. :shakehead

Do you think Cha-Cha can take care of him for me? :laughing:

Is this single player yeah?

If you can get yourself a fire weapon built that would help out a ton.

The one that would be most accessable is the Qurupeco Chopper, Sword and Sheild. Upgraded from Bone Chopper. The only difficultish material is the 1 Mega Demondrug, of which you need to make by combining a Pale Extract and a Demondrug.

The Pale Extract can be gotten only from a Gigginox, best way to get that at your level would be to venture online and do a Baggi hunt (or is it capture) where a Freehunt Gigginox appears and freehunt that.

If your up for it this evening I could help you out say round 7 or 8pm?

Is this single player yeah?
Yeah.

If you can get yourself a fire weapon built that would help out a ton.

The one that would be most accessable is the Qurupeco Chopper, Sword and Sheild. Upgraded from Bone Chopper. The only difficultish material is the 1 Mega Demondrug, of which you need to make by combining a Pale Extract and a Demondrug.

The Pale Extract can be gotten only from a Gigginox, best way to get that at your level would be to venture online and do a Baggi hunt (or is it capture) where a Freehunt Gigginox appears and freehunt that.

I see. Cheers. icon14.gif

If your up for it this evening I could help you out say round 7 or 8pm?
Won't know for sure until a little later, but yeah, that would indeed be awesome if you could help me. :smile:

I'll post in the online thread if I'm going on.

: peace:

Won't know for sure until a little later, but yeah, that would indeed be awesome if you could help me. :smile:

I'll post in the online thread if I'm going on.

Can me in too, I'll help you.

Can me in too, I'll help you.
Thanks. :smile:

I'm going to go online in around 15-20 minutes, hopefully see you and Mokong there.

awesome, just finished dinner, getting my wii set up now

/ nando / and I played MH Tri online for the first time on Tuesday night. Sadly it wasn't the be all and end all of online gaming experiences. How many hoops did we have to jump through to actually find each other?! It seems like to have a so-called great online set up, its had to be really complicated. I was starting to yearn for the simplicity of the GoldenEye and Mario Kart Wii menus!

City > choose server type > choose server > choose gate > get stuck at gate wondering where each other are > flukily proceed to city > find each other! > talk to tavern > choose quest > initiate quest > make sure to depart together > kill stuff > / nando / got d/c.

Even that is a simplified run through of what we endured! We restarted a few times to make sure we navigated precisely the same path through the server and city gate menus. When we were at the gate I had the instruction book out trying to figure out what to do and where to go... and it didn't tell me! :wtf: We added each other and tried to warp to one another, only the game said we were already there! It was really frustrating. All we wanted was a quick go on it as it was already late on Tuesday night when we started - we probably spent upwards of an hour and a half wondering what we'd missed and trying to get into a quest. :blank:

I'm sticking it on now for a few offline quests. I'm still doing the one star stuff, wish me luck.

Were you at a city or just the gate? I mean you can't see other people at the gate, even though you can still chat with them...I think it's "Local info" or smt like that in the menu which shows you who are at the gate. Thus you want to make a city first, and then have the other person warp / join the same city.

Btw guys, do post your Name / ID in the online thread as well...

Were you at a city or just the gate? I mean you can't see other people at the gate, even though you can still chat with them...I think it's "Local info" or smt like that in the menu which shows you who are at the gate. Thus you want to make a city first, and then have the other person warp / join the same city.

Btw guys, do post your Name / ID in the online thread as well...

We were at the city gate... but how were we automatically meant to know you had to enter the city? Everything except a quest giver seemed to be at the gate.

Does the font also suck on HD TVs? I'm always squinting at text in the game.

Well after some play, I died against a Great Jaggi (I think). I've opened up the level two quests which is nice but I'm being bombarded with so much info I barely know what to do. :confused: Except quest. Do the stat ups from the restaurant cat permanently effect you? I thought this might be the case then I went on a quest and was emanating an aura... so I take it the effects of food are temporary?

I might volunteer myself for a quick bit of online later.

Hmm, my font is ok, using a basic comp monitor...

Heh, just take your time with the info...the game is pretty deep, if you wish to go all the way :D

Yeah, the stat boosts are temporary. Still, you always want to eat before a quest...for example, meat + meat gives you 20+ health.

On the first ingredient page:

-meat

-meat

-fish

-fish

-grain

-grain

Edited by Ville

Hmm, my font is ok, using a basic comp monitor...

Heh, just take your time with the info...the game is pretty deep, if you wish to go all the way :D

Yeah, the stat boosts are temporary. Still, you always want to eat before a quest...one especially good food combination is meat + grain, gives 40+ health and 50+ stamina...

On the first ingredient page:

-meat

-meat

-fish

-fish

-grain

-grain

That's only true when you get to hr18

for hr 0 - 8 it has no effect and from 9 - 17 it gives +20 Helth and +25 stamina

If any new hunters are looking for vetern help online just give me a shout and/or post in the online thread. I'm already trying to give Redshell a hand (if we can get online round same time) be cool to have others in the group too.

I'm usually online evenings from 7 - 9pm (ish)

But if your going online at other times just post in the online thread I may be around or someone else may be too.

So I finally decided to attempt the repel a Lagisaurus quest today (despite not having a fire weapon yet), did it on my first go! :grin:

Not so bad really, does it get more difficult the next time you fight him?

I find that dragon thing much tougher. Still not managed to beat her and it looks like that's what I'll have to do soon, in the 4 star quests. *gulp* :hmm:

I love how Cha-Cha gradually improves over time. He was pretty useless at first, but now he's awesome! Taking out monsters all by himself, healing/stat boosting me at just the right times, picking up items, etc... :hehe:

So I finally decided to attempt the repel a Lagisaurus quest today (despite not having a fire weapon yet), did it on my first go! :grin:

Not so bad really, does it get more difficult the next time you fight him?

I find that dragon thing much tougher. Still not managed to beat her and it looks like that's what I'll have to do soon, in the 4 star quests. *gulp* :hmm:

I love how Cha-Cha gradually improves over time. He was pretty useless at first, but now he's awesome! Taking out monsters all by himself, healing/stat boosting me at just the right times, picking up items, etc... :hehe:

Yeah the Lagi fight is a little harder next time, especially when he starts in the water.

Rathian isn't that bad once you get to know her moves. When she starts to do 2 steps back block or peg it as she will do a flip which does a massive amount of damage and poisons you. If she's in rage she may do 2 flips, so be careful. If you wait for her to land then it's a great oppertunity to get her tail cut off.

If she pulls her head back a little and spreads her wings she will either fire a fireball at you that will be straight ahead or do a 3 shots left, then centre, then right...or is it the other way around. It's been a while. :D

I love Cha-Cha, just wait until you get some more of his masks, especially the bomb one. :)

Reminds me of Pekeji in Shiren the Wanderer. *reminisces* Such an overlooked game... :cry: