NEurope
flameboy

Monster Hunter Tri

That's fine, if you're comfortable being wrong :heh:
I don't think I'm wrong, but I'm not outright saying you're wrong with some things you've said either; we disagree, that's all.

I propose a "what if" scenario, while you say it couldn't possibly be like that (and I think it could); thing is, I'm fine with that, given that we're talking about what if scenarios; in the worse we might even say that it could be something in the middle... or something. I already don't even know how we got to discuss this here on this thread, how it degenerated into this.

But, I think Wii needs more effort than it's getting, again, just like weaker consoles who were leading got in the past. MH3 type of games, that are main installments and hopefully push the envelop for graphics... is something we really need on the Wii, rather than conformed developers who don't want to try anything big on the hardware.

Ever been a Gunner in MH? I can see them using the wiimote as a pointer for targeting when using a gunner weapon or bow which could get tiring. It would be fine for something like the Ballista gun but for hunting weapons it would be a big no no for me. Again though at this point is just speculation on how the controls will work out.

I know what you mean, but I look at Resi4 and think it can't be too different from that, which isn't tiring at all.

Also, have you unblocked me yet?

What I see on the Wii is that developers are not even trying to do that (top range graphics for Wii Standards, even), and I sincerely don't know if it's simply not worth it or are they just lazy; because that's the oposite of what happened with PSone and PS2 where they kept trying despite the hardware being quite honestly... subpar.
About the port thing, I think that is due to the simple reason that developers are uninformed about the system (and its true potential), and due to them thinking that starting from a Wii position, their game won't look acceptable on the PS360. The first one is to blame to Nintendo, who seem to have done a terrible job at presenting the Wii hardware to the developers (they said "think GameCube and up" - well done!). The second one isn't necessarily true, because a potential port of Mario Galaxy to the 360, in HD, with better textures would look more than acceptable. The thing is however, Mario Galaxy was made with dedication to the system and a lot of developers haven't anticipated on that.

As for 'pushing the system', I agree that more effort needs to be done. The problem is that most games nowadays use middleware, and the support for that is crap on Wii. All the best looking games on the 360, bar Call of Duty 4, use the Unreal Engine 3. Gears of War, Mass Effect and Bioshock were made with the backing of Epic's extremely well done engine and it's showing. No such thing really exists for Wii. All we 'have' is a rehash of the GameCube Unreal Engine 2, which is used in Red Steel like you mentioned. Hopefully, this will change now the Gamebryo (Oblivion) engine is being ported to the Wii, and maybe Gearbox's Wii port of Unreal Engine 3. Also, the Wii simply needs ports of the Source engine (Half-Life 2) and the id tech 4 (Doom 3) engine, as they would suit its power well.

That, and developers need to start with their own propietary engines. Mario Galaxy shows what can happen with effort. For that, however, there hasn't been time. A development team that has to make a new, hardware pushing engine and an entire game will be busy for more than two years, and there simply hasn't been time for that on Wii, as nearly everybody thought it was going to fail hard. A select group developers got a Wii devkit 18 months ago, we will need to be a little more patient.

^ I agree with all your post.

Question if there's already third party killer apps doing that (big development times); and if they aren't... they should. Take FFXII on PS2 for example, it was in development since 2001. It might take years, but there's also projects taking years in the HD consoles, and... we need such projects.

If, Developers are still understimating the Wii, and don't change that, I fear it will be a good console but never reach it's maximum potential, which, by the fact it's leading in sales, would be pitty.

MH3 is a fine step into the right path though, I wish more were doing the same.

Sadly I think that the third-party killer apps we're undoubtedly going to see in the future have only started development when the Wii was confirmed to be succesful. That was only the beginning of this year. It could be 2009 or 2010 before we really start to get the really really good stuff. Until then, we're dependant on (sigh) Nintendo's efforts, quality middleware (nonexistant AFAIK) and the few developers who did have faith in the Wii, like the developers of this game.

I don't think it has anything to do with Nintendo not providing necessary documentation. It's just the easiest and cheapest way to use PS2 engines and port PS2 games, so they do it. That way they don't need to invest a huge ammount of money in a console that was a risk, so even if they don't sell they make money. In a few months we'll start seeing better things. We already have seen stuff like Zack & WIki and Dewey for example

That is true to some extent, but certain quotes developers gave indicate that they need more information on the Wii's workings.

Even Zack & Wiki doesn't show any new power the Wii has (the power shown in Galaxy and to some extent Prime 3); it probably could have run on GameCube, although its memory may have fallen short. The effort in Zack & Wiki made a really good-looking GameCube title ("think GameCube and up..."), and I applaud Capcom for that, but it doesn't really set it apart from last generation, something the Wii is actually capable of. To let developers do that, Nintendo needs to inform the developers well. Really, really well.

It doesn't need to show power just as long as it looks good. Power is a means to an end, not otherwise. Also, I wasn't talking about power, but about quality in general. But if you're talking about graphical quality look at Eledees and Dewey, they're both very good looking.

Yeah, I kind of forgot your and my own point there :heh:

Anyway, Zack and Wiki and Dewy's Adventure are great examples. We need a lot more of that. Can't help but think that the Wii could be pushed a lot further, but I'm a tech nerd so bleh.

It's all about looking good tbh. As far as the limitations go though I'm always for clean and crisp visuals over higher detail which sometimes just doesn't look right because the Wii can't really pull it off. If you look at MoH:H2's visuals you'll see what I mean - they don't push the Wii imo but they are clear, crisp and generally pleasing whereas CoD3 probably had higher details but looked a pixelated mess.

But, like you guys, I'm really hoping that third parties have some good projects cooking atm and just haven't revealed them yet. Perhaps the sort of stuff they only started mid 2007 when it became clearer that the Wii was not going to disappear like some sort of fad.

In many ways I suppose 2008 will be the key year for the Wii - late 2007 saw plenty of decent hardcore games and casual games. If that's a sign of things to come, and a result of Wii's success, things are looking good that the quality of the games - especially graphically, will go up from now on.

Can't help but think that the Wii could be pushed a lot further, but I'm a tech nerd so bleh.

And you're right about that, devs need to push it more like Nintendo's doing.

Yeah, I kind of forgot your and my own point there :heh:

Anyway, Zack and Wiki and Dewy's Adventure are great examples. We need a lot more of that. Can't help but think that the Wii could be pushed a lot further, but I'm a tech nerd so bleh.

I think Zack and Wiki is a good example, but Dey's Adventure was a little crap by judging form the general reception it got. Konami should've given us an MGS compilation.

Strictly speaking of graphics, Dewy looked pretty amazing. Better even than Zack & Wiki.

Haven't played the game itself, so I can't judge the gameplay, but the graphics were really nice.

I don't think it was a terrible game, just a sub par and forgettable one:

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/938142.asp

For me, there was just nothing about it that grabbed me or got me in anyway interested. The real crime was it was an 'exclusive' from Konami and when lesser selling systems are getting MGS4, the Wii gets that? Hmmm rather annoying.

Monster Hunter 3 is not coming down in 2008:

Monster Hunter 3 falls into the category of “really big games announced years in advance of planned releaseâ€, like the RE5. I’m not saying when (it will release)…. but 2008 it is not. - Christian Svensson, Sr. Director of Strategy
Source: http://www.capcom.com/BBS/showthread.php?t=26495&page=4

One of the big concerns for myself and many other MH fans is that alot of the game dont make it to the Western market. Monster Hunter 2, Monster Hunter G and both Monster Hunter Freedom G versions didnt make it out over here. Its a worrying trend that I hope doesnt continue with MH3 but Capcom may have just calmed my fears.

Alas, I can’t share that information, but I can give the same answer I’ve been giving for a while and that is: “The Monster Hunter franchise is going to be increasingly important for Western markets. We have long term ambition to grow the brand to be as large across the West as it is in Japan.†Beyond that, I’m not yet able to give specific details. Just for reference, even for Japan, we haven’t announced a date (or even a release year) for MH Tri. - Christian Svensson, Corporate Officer/VP of Strategic Planning & Business Development

Fingers crossed we get to hear and see something about this come TGS.

A, some news about it now. Hopefully it will get a western release and sounds it might from the statement, I just want to see some pictures and how it's shaping up.

Come on TGS...

Ah, I forgot about this game... Shame it's been delayed, but a nice title to add to my most wanted list.

Could you really call it delayed though since we haven't ever had a date :heh:

I'm hoping it'll be out in late 2009, but whether cause of Euro delays, will we get it in 2010... I've got no idea what Capcom release schedules are like though.

Absolutely marvellous :heart: :heart: :bowdown: :bowdown: :yay:

This is how all Wii games should look like!

Hip hip hurray to the "teh Wiizz don't make good graphiczzzz" guys... : peace:

Capcom's been pretty quiet following the shocking announcement of Monster Hunter 3's platform switch from the PS3 to the Wii. Now, with more than 2.5 million sales of the recent PSP version firmly establishing the series as one of Japan's biggest, the Wii version has at long last come back into the spotlight with a huge blowout in the latest Famitsu.

The magazine scored an interview with two key hunters, producer Ryozo Tsujimoto and director Kaname Fujioka. The concept for the game, according to Tsujimoto, is to restart Monster Hunter from scratch, filling the game with new ideas. The switch in platforms from the PS2 to the Wii was one of the reasons for this big rethinking of the series, Fujioka explained.

Monster Hunter 3 will place players on a new field: an unexplored island. This setting appears to offer a lot of variety, from thick forests, to dark caves, all the way to deep underwater environments surrounding the island.

The two developers spoke at length about the new swimming component of the game. Players will have full swimming controls over their in-game counterparts when exploring the underwater environments. Outside of hunting for giant submerged beasts, you'll also be able to hunt fish which can later be used as ingredients.

While you'll have most of your land-based abilities available to you while underwater, including the ability to use long-range weapons, you'll have to keep one thing in mind when swimming: air. You have an air gauge which depletes with time, similar to your stamina gauge when running about on land.

In addition to the water environments, you'll be able to explore dark areas, like caves. To light up your surroundings, you make use of torches. Without torch light, these areas would be too dark for hunting.

MH3 will also include brand new monsters. Capcom is approaching this area of the game from a fresh start as well. Fujioka expects that the monsters reappearing from past installments will have a certain freshness about them.

One particular creature is getting particular attention. An giant underwater dragon creature, who happens to be known as king of the waters, is the game's main monster, Fujioka revealed. This dragon can actually survive outside the water, so players will be able to face off against him while swimming or walking, depending on preference.

Monster Hunter 3 will see the return of one element of the series that has been missing from the recent PSP entries: online play. Online mode can be played in four player groups, just like the PS2 installments.

The game retains the concept of a "city," which acts as a lobby for chatting and meeting with other players. When playing solo, this city becomes a village that slowly expands with new facilities and access routes for the island.

While Capcom isn't ready with a final release date for Monster Hunter 3, the game is far enough in development that it will be making a playable appearance at the Tokyo Game Show, which kicks off in Japan on October 9. Expect full hands-on impressions from IGN's monster hunters then.

in http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/910/910744p1.html

F*ck me, if this ends up looking like that and playing like it claims...well gentlemen we may be in for a treat. This just made its way to the top of my most wanted list.

I knew I was right to still be excited about the MH series. All those who havent played it are in for a treat especially now that the online element is back. I cant wait to see some footage of it, roll on TGS!