NEurope
flameboy

Monster Hunter Tri

For games like this, i'd rather use buttons instead of waggle, maybe aside if there's some special abilities or something. Also I wouldn't think you need to do correct motions, aslong as you hit the enemy, though I don't know what MH combat system is like.

Last night I dreamt I was playing this :)

Not long now before we see how the controls work with the wiimote.

Last night I dreamt I was playing this :)

Not long now before we see how the controls work with the wiimote.

I've deliberatly avoided when the show floor is open and the demonstration is shown so I won't be counting down for the news, therefore time won't seem to be really slow for everything.

Heres how the game will control with the nunchuck and wiimote.

Basic

A - Decide

B - Cancel

Dash Nunchuk Z button

On ground - button ? Underwater - Dash

1 - Use Item (maybe a shorcut to use selected items)

2 - Menu

- Button - Change map size

+ Button - Signal

Use Items

- Hold C button and press A to use. Scroll left or right should be using the directional pad on the wiiremote

Camera

- Rotate camera using Wiiremote directional pad

- Reset camera C button on Nunchuk

Actions

- A or shake nunchuk to dig, pick, etc

Basic Actions On Ground

- B button to stand or crouch

- Dash + B button to evade

Basic Action Underwater

- While moving + B button to evade

- Hold wiiremote straight up + B to swim upwards

- B to swim downwards

Weapons

+ button draw/keep weapons or Shake remote to draw

- While moving shake remote/+ button to draw attack

- Press A button to attack, and twist Wii remote to change directions of attack

- Z + - button = Special attack?

Big Sword

A - Attack

B - Evade

Z - Guard

a) On Ground

- Wii remote flat + A = Slash

- Wii remote twist left/right = Different directional attack

- 3 hit combo = Wiremote flat + A X 3 or shake X 3 (See video for more details)

- Charge attack = hold A

- Plus one action which I dunno what it is

b) Under Water

- Same except no 3 Hit combo

Small Sword

A - Attack

B - Evade

Z - Guard

a) On Ground

- Wii remote flat + A X 3 = Attack A

- Wii remote twist left/right + A X 2 = Different directional attack

- During combo, press a direction on the analog + A for a Swing attack

- Button = Swing attack

- Button while moving = Up attack

- Jump Attack = Shake Wiiremote or hold wiiremote straight up + A -> A to connect combos

b) Under Water

- Same with only no up attack and attack 3 cannot press A twice.

Hammer

A - Attack

B - Evade

Z - Charge

a) On Ground/Under water

- Z + analog to move around during charge

- Let go of charge Z for a charge attack (3 Levels)

- Z + 1 Button = Draw weapon + Charge

- Hammer swing = Charge to Max + time A button for different attacks

- Wii remote flat + A X 3 = 3 Hit combo

- Wii remote twist left/right + A = Different directional attack

Light/Heavy Bowguns (No IR pointing:()

A - Attack

B - Evade

- Button = Reload

Shake Remote = Draw Weapon

+ Button = Keep Weapon

Z - Click = Scope/Dot Sight Mode(?)

a) Scope Mode

- Analog to aim

- D pad Up = Zoom In

- D pad down = Zoom Out

- B scope cancel evade

b) Dot sight mode (?)

- Wiiremote dpad to aim

http://www.capcom.co.jp/monsterhunter/3/page08.html

Im very happy that classic controller is supported, will be like playing the PS2 version all over again :)

Apparently there is a 4 hour wait to play the game due to the amount of people trying to get their hands on it!

Great to see it's getting a lot of attention. Looks great so far and I quite like the controls.

MUST... NOT... FAP...

First day buy to me, its a release date announced? Hope it gets here something like 2009 or 2010.

Oh ****! Pls tell me that was online! Ooooooooooooooooooooooh! Finally something EPIC - listen to that music. :0

Sure is online :D

I'm gagging it uses WiiSpeak. To be honest, would be perfect in my eyes if it did.

Sure is online :D

I'm gagging it uses WiiSpeak. To be honest, would be perfect in my eyes if it did.

This is what the Wii needed. I can imagine a nice cosy winter sunday evening, and us lot going to explore some under water cave....Ahhh, Bisto...I mean lovely :D

I can't wait till a group of us meet up online one day and we head out on adventures and take on epic bosses. Gonna be so damn fun.

I can't wait till a group of us meet up online one day and we head out on adventures and take on epic bosses. Gonna be so damn fun.

Word, man. It's gonna be so awesome : peace:

But it's still so far off, we can't afford to get too excited yet :(

I'm bummed about no IR pointing, but the rest looks aaaawwesome.

Some great info from IGN.

The stage event was held by producer Ryouzou Tsujimoto who discussed some of the new gameplay systems that are making their debut with Monster Hunter 3.

Tsujimoto revealed that large beasts now have something only the hunters from past entries in the series had: stamina. They lose their stamina with time, becoming weaker. Just as your hunters eat to recover their stamina, so to do the large beasts. They actually eat other monsters!

Its about time this happened. I wonder if the enviroment effects their stamina aswell like it does the players? In the other games if you were in a volcano level you had to have a cool drink otherwise the heat would sap your health. If you were fighting in a cold area like a cave your stamina would decrease rapidly and you would have to drink a hot drink.

EDIT: Great gameplay vid, others are to the right of it.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14209897/monster-hunter-3/videos/tgs_off_monsterhunter_02_100908.html;jsessionid=6efgemh4nh29r

Details from the trailer

Where the hell is Deathjam? I want him to see the video :)

omg.jpg

My face but prettier :smile:

FOOK ME! That was amazing. Sat in silence for a min afterwards trying to take in what I had just seen. Bagsy the big guy with the big sword in the team. WANT THIS NOW!

EDIT: dunno what people are going on about the monsters for. LOOK AT THE GOD DAMN WEAPONS! So pretty! Especially the big one with teeth.....*drool*

Heres some impressions from joystiq

If you're reading this you're in the minority of Joystiq readers who haven't skipped down the page at the sight of the words: Monster Hunter. Clearly you're either a Westerner, curious about what the big deal is, or you're standing in line to play the third installment of the series right now. Within ten minutes of the TGS show floor opening, the line for this game was four and a half hours long. On a press day, no less. Thankfully, we had a considerably shorter wait inside Capcom's base (a hotel room), where we tried out the latest console version of one of Japan's favorite franchises.

While the series move from PlayStation 3 to Wii can be attributed to cutting development costs, no expense has been spared on the game's visuals. Monster Hunter 3 (or "Monster Hunter Tri~" ... ?) is one of the sharpest Wii games we've seen. It's also immediately recognizable as a Monster Hunter game. There's been no style change at all from other versions, just an upscaling of models and textures. The game's water looks impressive for a Wii title, which is important because Monster Hunter 3 is the first game in the series where you'll be going swimming.

The swimming sections look on par with Endless Ocean, only you've got a giant sword, and offer the player the ability to hunt new types of undersea monsters. No doubt this will justify the purchase of yet another Monster Hunter game for many Japanese fans -- not like there's really anything preventing that outcome. Despite the player being given a decent amount of wiggle room underwater, we're not sure the ability to swim will add much more variety to the gameplay. You're still hunting monsters, after all.

Unfortunately, the controls are quite complicated and, for a newcomer to the series, they take a while to learn. While the Wiimote and Nunchuk feel like a good fit for the game, things start to break down as you progress. While you can waggle to attack, it seems unlikely you'll get very far with it. Attacking in Monster Hunter is about timing and combos, and the Wiimote feels imprecise, not to mention, exhausting. Instead, the A-button will perform a primary attack, while the Z-button handles secondary swipes.

There are other aspects of the controls which feel overcomplicated, too, such as the weapon sheathing and drawing. The character we tried out had an incredibly heavy sword, which seemed to take half a minute to swing! The easiest way to time a first hit is to sheath your sword (the 1-button), then draw it (the Plus-button) when a monster is nearby, hitting it in the process. Obviously this button combo makes for counter-intuitive controls. Of course, devotees will likely overcome this, but it's potentially off-putting to anyone else. It's a shame because the combat animations turn out to be quite visceral, with a sense of weight to the weapon you're wielding and the force of impact it makes on a living creature.

While we had trouble defeating our intended target (thanks to the speed of our chosen character's movement and attacks), other innocent creatures nearby stood still long enough for us to get some good hits in. The death animations of these large, vegetarian dinosaurs were unnerving, as the "monsters" writhed on the ground in their final moments. Maybe we're not so cut out for this monster hunting business ... At least, not on our own.

One of the main attractions of the Monster Hunter series has been its multiplayer. Monster Hunter 3 is no exception as it will include online play with friends. But only friends, thanks to Nintendo's infamous code system. There's no indication as to exactly how this will work yet, but hopefully the mode will be made as painless and unintrusive as possible. With a dearth of upcoming first-party titles geared toward the "Core," it's titles like Monster Hunter 3 that could keep faith alive. That's true for Japan, at least, when the game releases next year. We're betting this one can be popular in the West, too. Sadly, there's no definite confirmation that will ever happen. But you never know.

Firstly my fears seem to have come true with the waggle side of things. Im sure it will get tiring after fighting Lao and Fatalis in a fight for a good half hour, im very pleased that they have at least had the sense to put classic controls in the game.

Judging from his comments about how slow his sword was he clearly hasnt played MH before. The GS are supposed to be slow, they give up speed for power! If he wanted to use a fast sword he should have picked a sword and shield or duel blades.

If the only playing with friends is true then im not a happy chappy. One of the great things about playing MH was questing alongside random people and being able to forge friendships along the way. It was also great when you could just go into a random village and help the lower level people out, again gaining more friends for future battles. Im soooo hoping this aint true. :(

Yeah, I haven't played a MH game properly and even I knew that the huge sword was slow and had power.

I'm bummed about the friends only aswell though. I don't see why random folk can't meet up to go out, every other game has done that so far, then for friends only, you can use Wii Speak. I'd be more than happy if they done that :(

EDIT - At 10am in Japan, there's a 4 hour wait to play MH 3 and walls of people lining up for a shot. Great to see so many wanting to try it out.

Finally, a game that validates my purchase of the classic controller :) Sounds like the game I have been waiting so am pretty happy with what I have heard, read and seen so far. Big sword is big so it's pretty obvious it's meant to be slow and hard hitting.

Anyone who says waggling can be exhausting really should get a crash course. How exhausting can flicking your wrist be?

This looks amazing

Anyone who says waggling can be exhausting really should get a crash course. How exhausting can flicking your wrist be?

Well there's classic controls too, I'll probably use them tbh and be perfectly happy, I never used the wheel on Mario Kart once!