NEurope
flameboy

Monster Hunter Tri

ipv2nl.jpg

If that's a render, I'm going to cry. If that's in-game, I'm going to cry.

Looks in-game to me.

Boring.

Some of the images are half a page! That's not even the Wii's native resolution and still looks good. You can definitely tell there's bloom lighting and geometry complexity.

Tsc Tsc

Let me repeat them again:

-MONSTER...

-HUNTER!!!

If that's a render, I'm going to cry. If that's in-game, I'm going to cry.
in-f*cking-game, clearly.

613315200809191145273bivf3.jpg

613315200809191145274bild3.jpg

Now cry!

oic5i.jpg

I must say, this game looks absolutely beautiful. I can't see how people are looking at these screens and not feeling it. This is the kind of support the Wii deserves.

White men stole his land.

I know, I only used it because I knew you've used it recently on the forums :P

I knew it'd get a reaction from you, Joao It's because I love you!

I know, I only used it because I knew you've used it recently on the forums :P

I knew it'd get a reaction from you, Joao It's because I love you!

Ahah :P Right back atcha!

More screenshots ahoy!

Its great to see Rathian making a return and from the armour shots in Famitsu it looks as though Rathlos will be back aswell. I hope they keep the funky little tune for when you are cooking your meat. :)

mh1.jpg

mh4.jpg

mh5.jpg

mh10.jpg

mh2.jpg

mh7.jpg

mh3.jpg

mh8.jpg

mh9.jpg

EDIT: Heres the interview from Famitsu translated.

NEW FIELD – Solitary Island

A solitary island all alone out in the wide sea. There is a village on the island where hunters gather and the island also offers a variety of different terrains, including deep forests, dark caves and sheer cliffs from atop which the distant horizon can be seen. There is also an area that allows for underwater hunting.

TRI Development Concept

— First, please tell us about the development concept and status of TRI.

F – We are making the game with the intention of packing in absolutely everything that we currently want to do. The process really is a lot of fun.

T – Saying “going back to the starting point” may cause some to jump to mistaken conclusions, but the basic development concept is to look over the game “Monster Hunter” again from the very starting point. Lots of ideas have been produced through the process of rethinking everything from zero, and the current development status is that everything has finally started to come together.

— What changes did the move from PlayStation 2 to Wii bring about?

F – The change in hardware allowed us to rebuild the system side of the game from the roots up. The effect of this is huge. Up until DOS we used the same system as MH1, simply developing further along that already established line. However, among the development staff there was also the thinking that simply building on MH1 was also going to make it difficult to truly expand the breadth of play in the game. So, with the hardware changing, we decided to just go for it and look everything over again from zero. It feels a lot like it did when we where making MH1, constantly trying new things and going through trial and error, and eventually creating another, totally new “Monster Hunter.”

WELCOME TO A NEW WORLD

TRI will provide hunters with a totally new hunting experience. The new field that embodies this idea is the “solitary island,” revealed here in this issue. An unknown isle that allows hunting not only on land but also under water, what wonders and surprises await the hunters here?

TRI Game Field

— What kind of place is this island you have shown us?

F – The first field that the hunters will explore. The place that outlines our concept for this title.

— As it is an island, we presume that means it is surrounded by water?

F – Correct. You can also go underwater. When underwater you can not only swim forward, back left and right but also up and down. This was a big challenge for us.

— Is the need to breath an element?

F – Yes it is.

T – However, it is not designed to greatly limit play. Only to the extent that while underwater you will sometimes have to think about breathing.

F – While underwater a gauge will be displayed that gradually goes down. Just like the stamina gauge used when running on land. It was something of a problem to start with, but now it is an easy to enjoy, exciting new element.

— Will controls on land and underwater be very different?

F – Just like the hunters, monsters can also move up and down, so you have to be able to respond to those movements. But the controls on land and underwater are not totally different.

T – What is important during underwater hunting is depth perception, a sense of distance. Once you get a grip on that underwater hunting is quite easy to enjoy.

— Some of the screenshots also show fish swimming underwater, don’t they.

T – That’s right. You can kill these fish and cut materials from them, obtaining things that will be useful in your life as a hunter.

— There is also an image of a hunter using a torch in a dark cave. Will things like that be needed in order to explore dark places?

F – Torches are used, as items. They are used to provide light in caves. Up until now even entering the darkest cave did not hinder your vision, but this time some locations will be pitch black. So when in a cave you will need to use a torch to light your way to continue the hunt.

MONSTERS, REBORN FOR TRI

The types and life cycles of the monsters have been totally renewed. The staff say that one of the points they have focused on most closely in really bringing the monsters to life this time is finding the place of each within the ecological system. How will the monsters act within this newly established circle of life? Next, we pursued some details concerning the new monsters and they way in which they will live.

SEA DRAGON

A giant monster, known as the ruler of the seas. The power of this blue scaled titan is beyond belief! A flick of its tail is all it takes to sink a passing ship. Just as its name suggest, it mainly lives in the sea, but it is also more than capable of functioning on land.

SMALL CARNIVORE THAT LIVES NEAR WATER – MALE

The male of a species of smaller monster that dwells on the island. The image shows it eating a fish, suggesting that it lives near water. Is far more brightly colored than the female.

SMALL CARNIVORE THAT LIVES NEAR WATER – FEMALE

The female of a species of smaller monster that dwells on the island. Protects their eggs in the nest while the male is hunting, viciously attacking anyone who comes too close.

CARNIVORIOUS DRAGON (?) THAT LIVES NEAR WATER

A middle sized monster with a large white crest. Apparently similar to standing to the pack leader monsters from previous games. The sharp talons on its legs look like its primary weapons.

A larger monster threatening some smaller monsters. Some of the monsters from the previous games will reappear, but they will act totally differently to how they did before.

Monsters, Monsters, Monsters

— All of the monsters have been reworked?

F – Yes. All elements relating to monsters have been reworked from zero. The new monsters are, of course, brand new, but even those monsters from the previous games that appear again should feel new and different.

— You’ve provided images of four monsters for us here (those outlined above). The main image this time is sea dragons, then?

T – That’s right. These are representative of the image we are going for with the game.

F – The Sea Dragon equates to the ruler of the seas. It is in the position that Reoreus (Rathilos / Rathian) has filled in the series up until now, and it’s a pretty handsome fellow (laugh).

T – I guess it could be called straight-up strength…? It isn’t one for tricky moves.

— And you fight the Sea Dragon underwater?

F – That’s right. But as the hunt progresses it will also come up onto land, so you never only fight it underwater. If you don’t feel comfortable with underwater hunting yet you can bring it up onto the land. That is up to the player.

— I’m also seeing Ranpos like monsters here?

F – Yes, there are the Ranpos of TRI. There is both a male and a female, with the female protecting their eggs. The mail hunts around the nest while the female protects the eggs. These monsters live in packs.

The Ecosystem Of Monsters

— Has the ecosystem been made more realistic?

F - One of our concepts is to depict a far more solid, realistic ecosystem. To take on the challenge of just how much of a feeling we can impart of the hunters entering into an already firmly established ecosystem. That is what we are paying the most attention to.

T – We have been thinking about the relationships between the monsters that exist together in the field, and the nature of the symbiotic relationship that exists between them. These elements are totally depicted as well as heavily reflected in game play. That is what we are aiming for, anyway. So, until now the situations that occur in each area have been predetermined, to some degree, but this time things are different. All of the elements in every area of the field will all move and act at once. The way in which these move will also change depending on the situations the hunters come across.

— Can you give us some more details of this?

F – This is just a small example, but until now each monster has acted alone, haven’t they. They rarely acted with an awareness of the other monsters around them. However, this time they will act with a very distinct awareness. The smallest movement by the main monster will effect and begin to change the surrounding situation.

T – You enter a certain area and there just happens to be a large monster in the back of the area, and just happens to be a pack of smaller monsters in the front. How do the hunters respond to this situation? That kind of thinking is going to be required.

F – Due to this setup, it means this time out you will often actually be inciting monsters to fight each other. Just coming across such a thing happening on its own accord is enough to make you smile. This is a different kind of fun from that of simply hunting a large monster. “Monster Hunter” is, originally, a game that hopes to show a depth to the ecosystem in which these monsters live. The fun of hunting the big game remains, more solid than ever, but I always want TRI to show off an appealing, deep ecosystem.

NEW EQUIPMENT AND ACTIONS

One of the biggest questions is how will hunter’s equipment and actions changed? It seems that there are plenty of new elements that will create this totally new hunting experience!

Weapons And Armor

— The process of obtaining materials and creating weapons and armor is the same as previous games in the series?

F – No changes there. Of course, it has become more convenient, and elements that were lacking have been added, but fundamentally there are no big changes. Each monster has its own set of armor, just as they have until now.

— You’ve revealed some images of equipment here. Has everything been changed?

F – Everything has been redone. Everything has been reworked, right down to the route along which armor and weapons are enhanced.

— I take it we can look forward to new weapons, too?

F – I can’t talk specifically about new types of weapon at this stage of development. The only comment I can make is that it is okay to have expectations of some interesting new elements… can you let me off with that? (laugh)

T – For now, just look at these illustrations and let your expectations build. We’ll be giving regular updates from now on.

Hunter Actions

— What about changes in hunter actions?

T – Concerning the actions used when hunting monsters, you’ll feel a clear difference as soon as you play the game.

F – In TRI the status applied to each monster have been increased. Although it is impossible to see these status for yourself, maybe making it a little hard to realize right away, but the hunters have new actions that allow them to influence these new status.

— You’ve rebuilt actions from zero too, then?

F – As some things didn’t need to be changed this aspect isn’t totally different. But we’ve added new elements of interaction between the hunter and monsters, and so the feeling of playing the game is quite different.

T – You can still hunt as you have until now, but stick solely to that you’ll run into a few things that will make you think “huh?”

F – That is the time to use the new actions and bring things back in your favor. There are other ways of hunting outside of simply whittling down monster’s health. With the elements we’ve talked about the monster’s status will then change in various ways.

— What kind of changes?

T – Until now we’ve only seen three states – normal, angry and weakened. This time we have a lot more of these.

— Like getting hungry?

F – That’s a possibility, these are living creatures after all (laugh). What we want to do is show these elements in real time during your hunt.

The Roles of Village and Town

— The village and town will be used in the same way as until now?

F – Exactly the same. The village is the offline mode, during which you play alone. The town is the base for online operations. There are facilities here for playing online with other people.

— What are the concepts for each?

F – “A town surrounded by desert” and “a village surrounded by the sea.”

— And you can interact with the villagers in the village?

F – Yes. Offline the game progresses through your relationships with the villagers. Listening to their problems, things like that. In the town your interaction with other, real people is the focus.

— Will the balance between offline and online be similar to previous games, too?

F – Yes. Offline only players still get a good slice of game. But if you have the ability to play online, we hope that you will do so.

Interview Sidebars –

1) The movements of the monsters have taken a big step up. T – “The overall motion of the monsters have really evolved. You should be able to clearly see the difference as soon as you see them moving.”

2) The new system also allows for monsters to now pursue the hunters from area to area. However, the staff are currently deciding whether or not to include this in the finished game.

3) Concerning controls. “The control system is pretty much decided now. We are taking advantage of the unique properties of the Wii Remote.” This means the control system will likely be very different from that which the series has used until now.

4) Among the items in the game there are some that will change the monster’s status. For example, the torch. Some monsters may flee when they see the light of a torch, while it may attract others toward you.

Development Status – 33%

I'm very interested in this

I would have to concur. I've not played Monster Hunter before (being on yucky Sony consoles... :heh:) but its looking pretty chouette and seeing as we Wii owners are graphics whore's, Monster Hunter needs priority!

So... this is basically Phantasy Star Online with a different name?

Kinda.

Like Maiky said in the comments on the main site they took the best parts of PSO and made a new game with it. Like PSO you can quest with 3 other players online but unlike PSO you dont level up or get armour and weapon drops.

What you do is kill animals, Wyverns and gather from plants to get materials for different weapons and armour. When you kill a Wyvern you get 3 carves off it ( you get more from the bigger monsters ) and what you carve differs from time to time. On one carve you may get a rare material on the other you may get a normal one. In terms of PSO think o it as the drop rates and the little red boxes.

Now say you need say Rathian scales for better sword, which will do more damage, you may have to do 2 or 3 Rathian quests until you have the materials you need. It may sound tedious but there is something very addictive about it and once you upgrade your equipment to the point where you can do godly damage and take many a hit you can then go hunting the bigger monsters.

What's the gameplay like Adam? I can't really gather anything from the screenshots, is it an RPG?

From playing the PS2 and PSP version a stupid amount of times it goes like this...

When playing online you picked a server ( Red or Green ) then you picked a town and enter. In the town you can go shopping for goods or make new armour and weapons. When you are ready for a quest you go into the Tavern where all the quests are dished out. You pick a quest which then gets posted on the billboard and other players can go check if they would like to join you. A maximum of 8 players were allowed in the town and a maximum of 4 allowed on the quest. You dont have to wait for 4 you could try doing it yourself if you wanted.

Now the quests were split into different catagories. These were gathering quests which just means get so many items and bring them back to base. Slaying quests which where you had to kill so many creatures or 1 big monster ( sometimes 2 ) and lastly capture quests where you had to do enough damage without killing the wyvern and then set a trap and hope it falls in it. Once it does you pelt it with sleeping bombs and the mission is over.

When out on a quest you start off at base camp which lets you recover your health if you sleep on the bed. At the camp you usually get a few supplies like a map of the area or potions etc. After you have got ready then you can head out to the various areas. You dont have to do the quest straight away either.

Say you need a few items that can only be gathered from plants, then you could go find the wyvern, mark him so you can see where he appears on the map and then head off to gather supplies. The marker only lasts about 10 mins which is enough time for you to do a little gathering. Oh and the missions have a time limit which is usually 30-50mins, easliy enough time to bring a wyvern down.

Now for the combat. You can pick which kind of weapon you would like to use, these range from samurai swords, great swords, duel blades, hammers, lances, guns, bows and sword and shield. You dont have to stick with one class either and its best not to as some enemies are easily taken down with the right weapon. I usually used the great swords and lances but if you can find a team that uses the weapons you dont then your mission will be that much more easier.

When creating an armour sometimes its best not to go for raw defence. Most armours have skills with them and also have elemental stats aswell. So say you have an armour which has massive raw defense but has a minus thunder stat it wouldnt be wise to use such armour against Khezu who is a lightining based wyvern.

I suppose its kinda like an RPG as you do have to level up your armour and weapons or you wont get anywhere in the game. Think of it as an online action RPG :)

So its primarily an online experience? Is there any sort of one player offline side to it- like a story mode to play through or anything? Is there a story to the game in general/ what's the goal of it all?

So its primarily an online experience? Is there any sort of one player offline side to it- like a story mode to play through or anything? Is there a story to the game in general/ what's the goal of it all?

There really isnt a story as such. In offline mode you talk to the villagers and they usually say they a monster is attacking etc. You talk to the village elder and he will give you the quests. In the offline mode on the PS2 you didnt get to fight a few of the Wyverns as they were only online. This being the case you missed out of the best armour and weapons and best fights in the game. Also once a week Capcom would post a new quest for you to tackle online which kept things fresh, ah good times indeed.

The goal is to unlock all of the missions and eventually fight a MASSIVE beast. In the PS2 version it was Lao and Fatalis who were HUUUUUUUGE! You cant fight these until you do certain quests and even when you get to fight them you may not get a full victory. You have to deal enough damasge to kill it so you can get some carves otherwise you will just repel the beast and you will get less important items.

If they keep the same system as they did with the PS2 I think those who buy this with the intention of staying offline should think again. Its an enjoyable game offline but online is where the action is!!!

Online is definently the biggest part of the game i'm looking forward to. Getting a few folk to form a party and heading out on quests will be great fun. Will be great if there's a type of communication like WiiSpeak since that will just help out.

But banding together, getting supplies and items to upgrade your weapons and such so you eventually become an all pwning hunter will prove to have hours of fun. I think the online experience, if they can do it right(and I think they can), will be epic.

Let it be recorded on the internet that I, Shino, was the first to coin the term JMMORPG.

I still don't find the game very appealing, it will all be in the little details. If monsters react as animals, or if you get to track them down and stuff like that, than it might be fun.

Japanese.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

33% and it's been over a year, so who knows. Depends what they've done/got left to do/pace they're going at etc.

Who knows.

Whats the J stand for?
Means that it doesn't make sense on X360 so if it comes out there it's because they moneyhat it. :heh: