NEurope
Bluejay

Xbox360 DNS Failure

Basically I am too cheap to buy a wireless adaptor for my 360. I am using a PC that is connected to my downstairs router by a wireless dongle thingy. This dongle is shared with the 360 via ethernet with ICS and all that business.

If I do a connection test IP Address is fine but DNS fails which is madness.

Automatic doesn't work so I have tried changing the DNS servers manually to no avail.

What is DNS? Is it my router's IP address (192.168.0.7) which doesn't work or something else.

I am essentially asking why it is failing, what DNS means and what can I do to fix it or find out my DNS to put in manually.

The router is a Netgear for all its worth.

Thanks.

DNS is the request for the DOmain Name Provider to send the IP-address linked to the domain name. SO say that Google.com is located at (and this is by far true, it's just an fake example) 245.678.9.1, then your browser will first connect to the DNS service (Domain Name Server Service) and see what Google.com's actual location is. Keep in mind that web addresses are just masks for a whole-lotta-bouncy-numbers.

Compare it to a Wii Friends Code. It's crap, I know. So how would you improve it? By searching users by name. If Nintendo did that, however, the Friend code system would still be there and instead of using the name to connect to eachother, it will still use the, much more unique, Friend Code, but it won't show that to you.

So here's all that in short:

Searching Google.com -> contacting DNS provider for the .com extension -> DNS Provider compares Google to an IP-address linked to that -> DNS Provider returns the IP-address of the website and let's your browser contact it. Now your browser can jump straight into the website. There is no connection with the DNS provider anymore.

Fixed now. No idea what I did but all is well

Apart from the fact that when the xbox is on, I can't use the internet and I have to type in 192.168.0.7 into browser to fix it. Not a huge problem as I can't really use both at the same time anyway but it affects it if 360 is downloading a demo.

Any ideas on the cause or a solution?

EDIT:

Good stuff

Interesting. Thanks. Fixed now though.

That's proably your router address. You need to connect through the router first, and that's probably the problem here. Because your PC is connected wirelessly to the router, but the Xbox to the PC. You need to tell the Xbox to seek contact with the router on that specific address, and run it through the PC. That's what goes around when you're running an elabroate setup, I guess.

Did I say 'Good Stuff'? Ah well, doesn't matter.

i would sugest setting it up so that the gateway is your PC (one with ICS running) then having the DNS setup as the routers IP address. it SHOULD beable to find it as it would look towards the gateway and the gateway will beable to find the router =) (from a technical point of view that sounds right although ive never set up an xbox using ICS, mine plugs straight into the router =D)