NEurope
Jamba

No Epic Games On Wii In The Near Future

Mark Rein talks on Wii once more:

Mark Rein's happy to continue pushing the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3

Epic Games has no plans to work on middleware or graphics engines for the Nintendo Wii, according to vice president Mark Rein.

Speaking in a GameTrailers interview, he confirmed that the company's focus would remain with the consoles that could generate the serious visuals.

"I think the problem is that it's not in our wheelhouse. I mean, what we're doing is the really high-end, next-generation visuals. We're pushing these [Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3] machines pretty hard."

"I just think that we have too many things on our plate to go back and put resources in that kind of situation."

Rein went on to point out that the money is really in working on the Sony and Microsoft platforms, and that working directly with Nintendo would be the only viable course of action for the Wii.

"I don't think there's a lot of money on making engines for the Wii…because the big software dollars right now are being earned on Xbox 360 and they're going to be earned on PlayStation 3, and I think unless you're going to sell your engine to Nintendo, you're going for scraps on that platform."

I can see his point. Often working for Nintendo means that you get a smaller cut or the publishers have to take some extra risk. But "I don't think that there's a lot of money on making games for the Wii"? Fucking hell Mark. That's retarded.

I think what hes saying is that the only lucrative games on the Wii are those that are developed, co-developed, published, or backed by Nintendo which is true more often than not.

I think what hes saying is that the only lucrative games on the Wii are those that are developed, co-developed, published, or backed by Nintendo which is true more often than not.
Also because of the majority of the third party titles being half assed titles, must we say.

Loads of money to make on engine licencing on the Wii; not scraps, they just aren't getting it because developers don't want a crappy and outdated UE2.5 build for their game (whom they affirmed in the past they don't have the need to update), it's best to build it from ground if you don't want to make a Red Steel; incidentally the existence of a good middleware could trigger the development of more US games, including FPS's.

Epic... and Mark Rein in particular... are arseholes.

Also because of the majority of the third party titles being half assed titles, must we say.

Agreed, because of this:

"I think the problem is that it's not in our wheelhouse. I mean, what we're doing is the really high-end, next-generation visuals. We're pushing these [Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3] machines pretty hard."

"I just think that we have too many things on our plate to go back and put resources in that kind of situation."

Agreed, because of this:
That is their focus, still it's their choice not to support it and they're being delusional there's not money in there (as if to justify themselves); not even Ubisoft says that (on the contrary)

Fair enough. Good for them. That last statement seems a little off though.

Yeah, what a ****. Lower development costs + larger market share = more money. If he wants to develop his stuff for 360 and PS3, that's up to him, but he clearly isn't very good when it comes to economics.

I think their a company who suit working with the 360 and ps3, and don't blame them for it. However, they're seriously deluded if they don't think the money this generation is there to be made on the Wii.

Just ask Ubisoft :/.

Yeah it was pretty obvious by now that Rein doesn't really like the Wii.

I think most of you miss what he is saying.

I don't think there's a lot of money on making engines for the Wii

He's specifically saying that he doesn't see a lot of money in building a whole new engine to create games for Wii. Which makes sense, because a lot of the engines used to make Wii games have been adapted GCN engines.

I think most of you miss what he is saying.

He's specifically saying that he doesn't see a lot of money in building a whole new engine to create games for Wii. Which makes sense, because a lot of the engines used to make Wii games have been adapted GCN engines.

I can see your point but they already have an engine and that just needs toning onto the Wii. Probably be a damn site easier than what they are having to do with the PS3! Thing is, the more platforms that they make their engine for then the more potential clients they have for licensing the engine.

Many companies are (and will have to) making new engines for the Wii. I don't see any previous Capcom game that would use even vaguely the same engine. Its a "from scratch" job. I just find the whole Epic thing absurd because the remote would totally enhance their FPS games.

Maybe what he means by "working closely with Nintendo" is that they know that they couldnt do a descent job of programming the control mechanics, therefore Nintendo would have to hold their hand. That or they just really dont like Nintendo's working philosophy (which is more likely knowing Rein).

the more platforms that they make their engine for then the more potential clients they have for licensing the engine.
No doubt, I guess their UE3 port for Machintosh is also scraps since no one does games for that platform.

Basically, and like was said before, really flawed logic he has there; must make him feel better for not supporting Wii, or something.

Angry deelopers who feel threatened by the prospect of a changing industry and new challenges can make as many self-assured press releases as they like. The Wii is market leader, and the public love it. It's still sold out all over after a year of being released. It's sold more units in less than a year than the 360 has sold in two years!

He's right, but he's only right to the extent that third party games hardly sell because there's no reason for them to be sold as nearly all of them are not worth the money. I hope FF:CC and No More Heroes will change that.

The Wii could seriously use Unreal Engine 3.0 in some form or another. The only other decent effort out there is Gamebryo, but that hasn't been out very long. Developers just don't make their own games any more, and the best middleware so far is a GameCube version of Unreal Engine 2.5...

I'm seriously pissed at Epic with their retard attitude; they could actually do something to change the third party situation for the Wii but instead they don't give a crap. The big money is by no means with the PS3 and 360, both are on a GameCube sales scheme.

Angry deelopers who feel threatened by the prospect of a changing industry and new challenges can make as many self-assured press releases as they like. The Wii is market leader, and the public love it. It's still sold out all over after a year of being released. It's sold more units in less than a year than the 360 has sold in two years!

Ha-ha. Truth!

I can see your point but they already have an engine and that just needs toning onto the Wii. Probably be a damn site easier than what they are having to do with the PS3! Thing is, the more platforms that they make their engine for then the more potential clients they have for licensing the engine.

Many companies are (and will have to) making new engines for the Wii. I don't see any previous Capcom game that would use even vaguely the same engine. Its a "from scratch" job. I just find the whole Epic thing absurd because the remote would totally enhance their FPS games.

The matter of fact is they have decent working engines for the 360 and PS3, both would be far more complex to construct than a Wii engine and would work financially in their favour. They can then sell their engines on to companies wanting to create games on 360/PS3.

A Wii engine would mean they'd have to sit down, get a team together and create a whole new engine. Which most teams could do, which would then mean they won't have a lot of potential buyers for their engine. So they'd have wasted time and money creating something that say they'll use once or twice, and might not see a worthy return.

Some companies aren't using new engines for the Wii, thats why we keep hearing things like "It's very similar to Gamecube development wise". They are just updating previous engines.

... Or ever: (replying to thread name)

Nate Ahearn, IGN X360 section journalist: What do you think of the Wii and Nintendo's…

Mike Capps, Epic's president: Pffffffffft…

NA: (laughter) I know! I think the same thing! It's like, "Come on, why are you buying this system?!"

MC: I know. I've got one.

NA: Everybody does! Bring it out at parties and everyone's like, "Oh it's a Wii!"

MC: Part of it's being cheap. I think it's a, I mean, so two things: first of all, great credit to them. The first time I played a videogame with my parents – aging myself a bit – was on Atari 2600. The next time I played a videogame with my parents, 25 years later or whatever, was Wii Tennis. So it's about bringing people together, families, Thanksgiving, all that. I think it's kind of like a weird virus because I have not yet found a reason to play with my Wii since then.

NA: Exactly. For a real gaming experience…

MC: Right, Zelda I really didn't enjoy on it. They back-fitted the control scheme on it, it was better on the GameCube. Mario, I wish there had been a button instead of wiggle and all that kind of shit. So I haven't played anything that I really wished hadn't been on another platform sadly enough. It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. Obviously there's a class of people who really love it and enjoy it and are getting into the games but I'm still waiting for that one game that makes me play it. Who knows, maybe Wii Fit will be it.

Source: http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/868/868001p4.html

Idiots, virus is what they have when they play games made from the ground up for the console and can't help but think what they do; it's them who have the preconceived idea of how everything is so much better elsewhere no matter how good it comes together in there; they'd even prefer Wii Sports on X360/PS3 (from a technical standpoint, why not); and more... Did anybody from a technical standpoint do not wish PS2 games ran on a more powerful system bad then, being it the less powerful one? but did that have real consequences or was a bashing point for these people? hypocritical pricks they are.

Why are they being so shitty? Some developers think that games on the Wii are bad. Develop some good games then. Prove how skillful you are. I would bet good money that Epic are just scared of making a decent game on the Wii.

Why are they being so shitty? Some developers think that games on the Wii are bad. Develop some good games then. Prove how skillful you are. I would bet good money that Epic are just scared of making a decent game on the Wii.
nah, they're just scared of providing a good middleware so third party's used to their engine and tools can do GOOD games on it out of the box, as much as they are afraid that it actually wins this gen.

They're part of the problem though, as instead of making sure the platform has their games, they are afraid of the platform winning "even without their games" (we're not supporting it, die dieeee, you bitch!).

What a bunch of ***** they really are! Pompous wankers, and that fucking Nate!

What a bunch of ***** they really are! Pompous wankers, and that fucking Nate!
Later in the interview he kinda repents saying Wii fit is actually pretty nice and all that, but that doesn't change what he said about "real" games on it.

Still, that initial point was the bashing one, showing what they really think, then they got rational, into trying to explain what doesn't really have explanation (and even going to red steel who used the crappy GC build of the engine) so they're kinda null points valid for them.

They even show in it what DCK said regarding TEV pipeline a few days ago in the conduit thread... as in... these guys clearly don't know about it.

Some day the market will be tired of hardcore games. Then we will se whos laughing. Mvahohahoha.
Not us for sure, since we are hardcores (hate to catalog myself as one though) who actually want high budget good titles for the Wii; and good middleware and all that.

So I won't be laughing either, even if I can understand it as a interesting phenomena if it ever happens.