NEurope
Choze

Burnout: Paradise

yeah it's up

man, good job this game is going to pwn faces. I was almost ready to be upset by revenge style let downs, then i realised that the multiplayer might be the best racing has ever seen. hurrah.

I am definitely buying this, and i only buy racers if they're Mario Kart.

This has converted me, just the demo.

I love how all the barricades say "This road reopens January 2008".

The demo's OK. I'm sick to the back teeth of the washed out style of graphics which continues define some devs idea of "next gen" gaming. Still slightly too forgiving too, in my own humble opinion. It feels nice and fast though, I'll give it that.

The demo's OK. I'm sick to the back teeth of the washed out style of graphics which continues define some devs idea of "next gen" gaming. Still slightly too forgiving too, in my own humble opinion. It feels nice and fast though, I'll give it that.

You like proper/boring racing games though don't you? Like Forza and other games that I can't play.

This game isn't for you, although it might and should appeal to you too. Its for people like me, who like to go fast without worrying about traction control and horse powers and driving lines and other car stuff I can't begin to comprehend.

Its for people like me, who like to go fast without worrying about traction control and horse powers and driving lines and other car stuff I can't begin to comprehend.

This, and this all over.

Exactly why i like this over other racers.

No no, I freaking loved the first three Burnouts, the series reaching an apex with the pantomime of twisted burning metal in the third. But it was great because if you crashed, you crashed in spectacular style, often bounding off kerbs and leaving piles of devastated traffic in your wake. Going sideways onto a busy motorway was huge risk that often ended in spectacular fashion, for better or for worse.

In Revenge though, they made it so you can just plough through anything and keep going, with track sides and barriers nudging you about, so what you're left with is a nice looking roller coaster you could almost steer with your eyes shut.

Traffic also seems somewhat few and far between in the demo. I charged at 130mph into the side of a passing coupe and just slid off. It's no fun. What's the point of doing twice the speed limit down the wrong side of the road knowing you're probably going to make out alive? It just defeats itself, utterly. Where's the thrill?

I've wanted crashes like the ones in Paradise since the first one. The first three were way too sensitive for "destroying" your car, and Revenge has the stupid thing where hitting stuff from behind caused them to go flying miles.

This doesn't kill your car in simple crashes, and lets you carry in if the crash isn't severe enough. I can't wait to get the full game - there's plenty of road in the demo to waste lots of time just driving around.

I'm thinking about pre-ordering this but i'm not quite sure i should. Maybe a few more play throughs of the demo might sway my decision.

Very fun demo.

Two MAJOR complaints:

1, no quick restarts on events. I don't enjoy driving all the way fucking back to the start every time i mess up once.

2, I would prefer a huge arrow telling me where to go rather than the stupid flashing turning thing. It might be okay once you know the track, but jesus the corners come up so fast and you have no time to react to them.

Also left out of the demo (hopefully not the game): Aftertouch, which is now just a "get your ass going again" thing and being able to blow your car up.

Also, wtf happend to the old license soundtrack, why is there no music in free roam and god i hope the later cars handle better because the one in the demo is incredibly shit... and whats with the lack of a spedo? or a GPS?! If its freeroam, surely you would need a fucking GPS.

the demo car is a stunt one, hence the toffee turns. the sports models should be blindingly fast.

I would prefer a huge arrow telling me where to go rather than the stupid flashing turning thing.

The compass and GPS are enough for me (mainly just the GPS).

I agree with the restarting events thing. You should be able to select any event from the map.

I really hope there's some "just for funsies" vehicles in this. I'd be annoyed if a lot of the vast amount are quite similar (like cars for the race parts of Revenge...why couldn't you use the crash vehicles for races?).

I'm searching everywhere for the last smash fence - I've done the three events, all the jumps and billboards. I've just got one more shortcut fence thing to smash.

I hope all races aren't just "Start here, get to location X" I hope they have ones with checkpoints (and some checkpoint ones making circuits with laps). I hope these are in multiplayer, too.

Has downloadable content been mentioned for Paradise? There's a suspicious unfinished bridge (not a "opens in January" thing) leading to an island off the map. Looks like it could be a later add-on or something.

Edit: Found the last smash gate. So that's the demo done. Still, it's fun do drive around.

Some more things that are missing:

- Replays. Burnout is one of the few games I watch replays in. I hope they're in the full version.

- Different medals. Why no Gold/Silver/Bronze? Get 2nd in a race and all it does is rubs it in your face that you didn't win.

Sure, minimal menus is nice. But not if you sacrifice easy access of events, restarting events, medals and replays.

One thing I don't like about the multiplayer is that the challenges don't put players at a starting position. Hopefully there will be separate modes for race, stunt and crash events.

The demo makes me want the game...but at the same time it leaves too many doubts.

Yeah, being able to start races without ahving to drive there would be nice.

I mean when you've found it you can see it on the map you should be able to hit a and jump in.

Yeah, being able to start races without ahving to drive there would be nice.

I mean when you've found it you can see it on the map you should be able to hit a and jump in.

Thats my main complaint

Other than that it feels great i just wish they make sure we dont waste time figuring out what to do.

Anyone got tips for the stunt challenge? I know a few jumps and stuff like that but i don't know how to score the really big points.

Thought that was pretty crap really. Burnout 2 > * won't be getting this, too much annoying not enough fun.

I'm really not too sure about the demo tbh. I like the idea of free-roaming and everything, but I think it lacks the speed and pace of previous Burnout games. Though we do get a crappy car in the demo, and there's going to be plenty in the final game. If this gets some decent reviews, I might pick it up.

Mind you, the game promises a massive city to explore, and we don't even get half of that in the demo. I thought the "Road opens January 2008" signs were quite funny though, nice touch they added there.

Anyone got tips for the stunt challenge? I know a few jumps and stuff like that but i don't know how to score the really big points.

I got the target score in one trick ^^

Just drive down to the beach and the points should roll in :)

Might buy this on PS3. I played both the 360/PS3 versions and the PS3 one looked slightly better and supposadely the online is better as well or something...However, the 360 version lets me play my own music, which is a big plus when playing this game, the soundtrack ain't too bad though!

We'll see, not too sure about it at the mo but i think it's because the area you were allowed to play in wasn't very big and it didn't show alot of what the game has to offer?

Can't remember when it was revealed, but the soundtrack:

Adam And The Ants - Stand And Deliver

Agent Blue - Snowhill

Airbourne - Too Much, Too Young, Too Fast

Alice In Chains - Would?

Army Of Me - Going Through Changes

Avril Lavigne - Girlfriend

B'z - Friction

Brain Failure feat. Dicky Barrett - Coming Down To Beijing

Brand New - The Archers Bows Have Broken

Bromheads Jacket - Fight Music For The Fight

Depeche Mode - Route 66 (Beatmasters Mix)

Faith No More - Epic

Guns N’ Roses - Paradise City

Innerpartysystem - Heart Of Fire

Jane's Addiction - Stop!

Jimmy Eat World - Electable (Give It Up)

Junkie XL feat. Lauren Rocket - Cities In Dust

Jupiter One - Fire Away

Kerli - Creepshow

Killswitch Engage - My Curse

LCD Soundsystem - Us V. Them

Make Good Your Escape - Beautiful Ruin

Maxeen - Block Out The World

Mexicolas - Come Clean

N.E.R.D. - Rockstar (Jason Nevins Mix)

Never Heard Of It - Finger On The Trigger

Operator - Nothing To Lose

Permanent ME - Until You Leave

Saosin - Collapse

Seether - Fake It

Senses Fail - Calling All Cars

Showing Off To Thieves - Everyone Has Their Secrets

Skybombers - It Goes Off

Soundgarden - Rusty Cage

Sugarcult - Dead Living

Swervedriver - Duel

The Photo Atlas - Red Orange Yellow

The Pigeon Detectives- I’m Not Sorry

The Styles - Glitter Hits (J.J. Puig Mix)

Twisted Sister - I Wanna Rock

Wired All Wrong - Lost Angeles

+ Tchaikovsky, Mozart, Boccherini and other classical composers

Thank god for custom soundtracks.

I think I'm just gonna be sticking Brand New and Killswitch Engage on repeat for every journey, cause they're the only songs there I could possibly care about.

Of course I still need to buy a PS3, but er, that should happen tomomrow :). I dunno if I'll ever buy this, but with the PS3's grand total of 2 games coming out in the whole of Januarty, chances are this is gonna be my personal reward for surviving exam season.

I've decided I won't be picking this up after all. Free-roaming around a city is a good idea, and a nice concept. I just really don't think it works in a Burnout game.

If it was a more serious driving game, then it'd work. However, I think it clashes with Burnout's arcadey feel. The system they had for previous Burnout games was good enough, I just think Criterion are trying to do too much here...

Well lets see how it turns out. The demo had hardly any racing so i am keeping an open mind.