NEurope
Choze

Burnout: Paradise

People

Brucies Used Autos - Bruce Forsyth and Grand Theft Auto. The font (and dollar symbol design) are from the US version of The Price is Right. Coincidentally, it's the same font that is used in GTA.

Monkhouse Royal - Bob Monkhouse

Chegwin Hotel - Keith Chegwin (Cheggars)

Philbin Apartments - Maggie Philbin

Noel's - Noel Edmonds

"Blobby Blobby Blobby" - Mr Blobby

Divine's Hotel - Divine (Harris Glenn Milstead) starred in Pink Flamingos

Holness Hotel - Bob Holness (Blockbusters)

Tel Wogan - Terry Wogan

The J. Craven - John Craven (Newsround)

The Hairy Cornflake - Dave Lee Travis (Radio 1)

Krankee's Chilli - Possibly The Krankies (Comedy Duo)

Saville Tech - Jimmy Savile (Jim'll Fix It)

Noakes Plaze - John Noakes (Blue Peter)

Shep's Surf Shop - Shep (Noakes' Dog from Blue Peter)

Stilgoe's Mall - Richard Stilgoe

Perren's Point - Freddie Perren (Songwriter)

"John Kettley...Weatherman?" - John Kettley (is a weatherman...and so is Michael Fish)

TV Shows

Crackerjack

Magpie

Byker Grove

No. 73

"You can't beat a bit of Bully" - Bullseye

"And away you go" - We Are the Champions

Grange Hill - Grange Hill

Fictional People

Zammo Mansions - Zammo Maguire (Grange Hill)

Tucker Tower - Tucker Jenkins (Grange Hill)

Deckard's Sushi - Rick Deckard (Blade Runner)

Other

Cap'n Jasper's - Resturaunt in Plymouth

Els Bells - Hells Bells (Song)

Inspiral Carpark - Inspiral Carpets (Band)

Happy Sundaes - Happy Mondays (Band)

A Local Mini Mart & 4 Local People - League of Gentlemen (A Local Book for Local People)

Orca (Boat) - Boat from Jaws

Taylor Jay Towers - The son of DBC9MX, who won a competition. His name (and runner up) can be seen in the garage

Edited by Cube

Only got a couple trophies left on this until I finally get the platinum. I got this game a year ago. So close.

STUPID WILDCATS STADIUM MEET UP THING!!

Major Bumpage with some news of what we could have been playing if more DLC had come to the game:

NEWS

"Take A Look At What You Could Have Won..."

11:55 Thursday 17 December 2009

As it's Christmas we thought it would be fun to share with you a couple of secrets. So this news story is almost like a mini-podcast - consider this to be one of the fabled 'missing' podcasts - likes we ones that never made it to air, the ones the lawyers just would not let us release, the ones that 'EA MADE US DO.', or other Crash TV related in-jokes.

We had a really good time with Burnout Paradise once development of the main game was complete. We were very interested in the whole concept of downloadable content, and we knew that we wanted to approach it very differently and push it as far as we could. A downloadable Island was started almost immediately after the main game was built. This Island was built around the concept of a Docks/Shipyard area. As we finished the game, Stunt Run was THE game mode that we were all playing. We also felt that, along with Ranked Racing, Stunt Run would be the most popular game mode online.

Since creating Burnout Revenge, we had created some powerful telemetry tools. These allowed us to get accurate daily information as to how players were faring with Paradise. We got to see, each and every day stuff like where players crashed, what cars they drove, and which events and modes were the most played. We also receive daily and weekly information from the format holders as to how many Achievements are unlocked each day. At the time of release, Trophies were a twinkle in Sony's eye, but that's for another story.

This data told us something powerful very early on. More people were playing the 'Freeburn Challenges' that anything else. So we made the tough decision to stop work on the Island and go back to square one. This would take longer but be better for players in the long term. Thus 'Big Surf Island' was designed - an Island built for eight players doing Challenges together.

We did have ambitious plans for a series of Islands. One was going to be purely off-road based. Hence we created the 'Dust Storm' dune buggy in anticipation for that. Our original dreams for Paradise were to create a series of Islands, all connected to Paradise City and each would focus on a different style of racing game. One Island was going to be completely circuit based - and be all marked up like a modern Formula One circuit!

During this period, Criterion evolved from being a traditional game developer that released a game disc every couple of years to being a live network enabled developer. Not only were were connecting to our players, we were actively responding to and adding to the game in ways that had never been tried before. As we were breaking new ground, it made sense to explore this as much as possible.

Here are some other ideas that were genuinely discussed as potential for DLC (downloadable content)

1. Planes. A lot of Burnout fans already know about this - as we showed flying around in a live podcast. It was really cool to be able to see Paradise City from the air. It did not happen because of the way the game world was built. The city was never meant to be seen from such viewpoints. Think of it like a film set, a very big film set - meant to be seen from certain camera angles and not others.

2. Helicopters! Completely true. We wanted to have both Aerial Challenges and allow flying and driving players to work together. Players would be able to jump into containers swinging below hovering choppers. Even better, those hoops in the Airfield would have been able to be picked up by a heli and flown. That Freeburn Challenge involving jumping through a hoop would have been much more fun if a chopper was carrying it!

3. The Moon! Again, completely true. Someone on the team said that 'players want the moon on a stick when it comes to DLC' We thought that was funny and thought we'd do it. The actual surface of the real Moon was modelled and it was drive-able. Lunar Challenges would have been totally unexpected - as would have been zero gravity Takedowns and Challenges.

The idea was that we would have built a rocket pad on Big Surf. If you reached a certain Rank, or completed a number of specific challenges, you could drive there, press a button and the rocket would launch. Destination - Moon! (Now that would have beaten downloadable car liveries any day!)

4. Motorcycles Versus Cars - This one was always a moot point. Whilst we would love to do it (some of us are die-hard 'Road Rash' 3DO fans) - we thought it best to keep them separate. Mixing Burnout with Road Rash - or Burnout VERSUS Road Rash as we saw it would have led to pandemonium. A bit like dogs and cats living together. Although we remain 'ready to be believed' - it's clear that Cars could easily Takedown Bikes but Bikes can't really Takedown a Car - even with a length of chain...

5. Time Travel - Not many know about this, but it was discussed. On a certain day, a time portal would have opened on the Island. When you jumped through, you would have found yourself on Big Surf, at another point in history. Maybe the Wild West...you could have done some Challenges and then jumped back. (At this point, even some hardened members of The Burnout Team thought this was 'going a bit too far.')

6. Underground - This was once hinted at on our forum. The idea that you could drive down under the city - leading to fast underground tunnels and open areas for Challenges.

7. Boats - This was never prototyped but was discussed. If we had built a series of Islands we would have wanted the player to be able to race to them - in Cars, Planes or even Boats. Hence a few jetties were built into Big Surf. This never went further than a quick discussion. Most likely left on the table for being far too sane. But 'Burnout on the Water' would have been a lot of fun indeed. We all know that boats can jump because we saw it in the film "Live And Let Die.'

So there you go, the first Volume of Secrets from the Burnout Archives revealed.

http://portal.burnoutweb.ea.com/page/article?article=953

Only got a couple trophies left on this until I finally get the platinum. I got this game a year ago. So close.

STUPID WILDCATS STADIUM MEET UP THING!!

I actually didn't have any trouble with this one, I was lucky enough to get in a full game with this challenge being on. I'd be glad to try and help you if others can get on to fill the game. I only need one more for my platinum the invite a friend one ... I know it's easy to do but none of my friends have a PS3 ¬_¬.

Mega-Bump! :D

So... I'm only what... three years late to the party but after completing Need For Speed : Hot Pursuit I've decided to do the 'right' thing and invest some time in my criminally underplayed copy of Burnout Paradise.

I've only played for about ten hours but I'm enjoying it a lot, got the 1.9 patch (obv) which improved the game tenfold for me, especially with the addition of bikes that actually control superbly well, easilly rivalling the early Road Rash games.

A few questions about DLC... obv the Big Surf Island DLC is worth it - maybe when I've advanced a bit more - but what about the other packs?

PCPD seems worth it but only if I really get into the online... which I should, I'm guessing it's like Hot Pursuit but better and limited to online only?

Toys... am I to assume that these are like Micro Machines in effect? and if so how the heck does that work... do you get to drive really tiny cars around the exisiting Paradise City or is everything scaled down because it sounds like a fantastic concept or am I getting it wrong and they are in fact just to look at, like trophies perhaps?

Party... perhaps not really worth it being that I don't really play that much offline multiplayer? Is it still worth playing on your own or is that a bit of a stupid question? :p

Id be grateful if anyone could answer any of these questions for me or even recommend the best ways to get enjoyment out of the game, equally I understand if nobody really gives a damn especially as the game is a few years old now and this thread seems to have died... but... I just thought that with it being regularly mentioned in the NFS thread that it kind of deserves a chance at being revived? especially as it's a fantastic game. :)

In the meantime I'm just gonna drive around and try to take out some of the seemingly impossibly high billboards! I'm sure there's a way to 'smash 'em all' but I haven't figured it out yet but... give me time. :smile:

A few questions about DLC... obv the Big Surf Island DLC is worth it - maybe when I've advanced a bit more - but what about the other packs?

Unless you're going to be playing online a lot, no.

PCPD seems worth it but only if I really get into the online... which I should, I'm guessing it's like Hot Pursuit but better and limited to online only?

It's nothing like Hot Pursuit. The online game mode is essentially a one-flag capture the flag.

Toys... am I to assume that these are like Micro Machines in effect? and if so how the heck does that work... do you get to drive really tiny cars around the exisiting Paradise City

The cars are around 1/4 the size of the existing ones and you drive around the normal Paradise City.

Party... perhaps not really worth it being that I don't really play that much offline multiplayer? Is it still worth playing on your own or is that a bit of a stupid question? :p

It's a poor version of the online challenges. Not worth getting.

---

Unfortunately, the best way to experience the game is through the online mode, which probably isn't very busy any more.

Eeeeuuuuurgghhhh...

I FUCKING LOVE THIS GAME.

I keep meaning to give it another spin.

Eeeeuuuuurgghhhh...

I FUCKING LOVE THIS GAME.

I keep meaning to give it another spin.

And yet you hate need for speed hot pursuit!

Daft my friend your a contradiction (I'm sure you've been called worse!) :laughing:

They really aren't that similar.

True but Burnout Revenge and Need For Speed : Hot Pursuit definitely seem similar in the way that they're set-up.

Burnout Paradise is different though, I'll give it that but the best thing about it is that it retains the essence of the Burnout titles but manages to take it much further than ever before.

I'm genuinely loving the game but I can't believe that it took me this long to properly get into it.

No joke, it took me a couple months before I even started to like Paradise. I love Paradise because it's open world (HP is but it's definitely not the same), it's more physical (I love the grind takedown and they just generally feel better to pull off), there are stunts (which took me an absolute age to master) and there's loads of exploration involved in the open world. Also, little things like taking down cars to unlock them were ace. And the online challenges were chilled out fun.

Also, I think I definitely prefer the menu being in the background unlike HP.

I just couldnt fall in love with this game. I bought it and sold it, then when the updates came out (such as ability to restart a race) I bought it again.

Still just couldn't love it like Burnout 1/2/3. The local multiplayer was practically gone (which was always a focus with friends) and I just didn't 'get' the open world approach.

A quality game but a real departure for the series. Tempted by NFSpeed but this just about does enough to put me off buying Criterions latest.

More classic Burnout would rule.

Love this game. Have played through it twice once at the beginning and again for trophies. Still need to complete them, only got a few left; power parking one, find all events (although can't see where the hell the missing one is), the 8 in wildcats stadium and the mugshot one (which I can do now I have the camera) are the ones I can remember.

Maybe PS3 gamers should get back online with this had so much fun with it back in the day.

Going old school tonight with a few online chums and playing this at 2130hrs tonight on PS3. If you want to join us feel free I'd recommend having a mic and PSeye hooked up for maximum fun.

Just a thought is the safe file for this still locked if you have restored from one console to another...I'll be damned if I am playing through it a first time!

Just a thought is the safe file for this still locked if you have restored from one console to another...I'll be damned if I am playing through it a first time!

Doesnt matter flamey - just an online fuck about!

Doesnt matter flamey - just an online fuck about!

Was a good time! Burnout Paradise still to this day remains the best online experience I've ever had.

I need to play this again. Haven't touched the PS3 or PC versions that much.

Next time we are on will let you know!

Was a good nights gaming for sure - we all had a good laugh and is still has one of the best uses of the PSeye camera. However MATtheHATgetting his arse out will haunt me for days!

Was a good nights gaming for sure - we all had a good laugh and is still has one of the best uses of the PSeye camera. However MATtheHATgetting his arse out will haunt me for days!

I'm sooooooooooooooooo glad i didn't have to see that!

I'm sooooooooooooooooo glad i didn't have to see that!

Lucky you - I'm still suffering from post traumatic stress.