NEurope
Wesley

Worst piece of hardware you've ever used...

So I was wondering, what's everyone's worst piece of hardware they've ever used? It can be from an entire PC to the smallest USB Pen, anything.

Mine would be the Apple Mighty Mouse. I can't believe how flawed the design can be. For instance: today, it will not scroll upwards. Yesterday, it would not scroll downwards.

You can hardly judge the worst piece of hardware by one faulty product, can you? If you've had more than one, and it's broken in the same way each time, then maybe you could say its the worse piece of hardware you've used.

The 360 is up there with the worst I've used. Failed a few times now. Also a goodmans GMP???? MP3 player, broke, then broke again.

There was a long period of time when Maxtor made slim HDD's that had worse faliure rates than Xbox360's.

The keyboard i bought has a history of being shit, many people have the same issues i have.

Weirdly, someone at the company here has one and its flawless.

Sega Game Gear: Big, fat ugly and ate batteries like Rik Waller and Michelle McManus at al all you can eat buffet!!

Mine was a Sony 6-Disk CD changer that lasted about 2 months before many components (including the open/close tray) started failing then shortly after the Power wouldnt even come on. Pure garbage

Once many years ago I purchased a Mad Catz light and magnifier for the original Game Boy Advance. When the Magnifier was on not enough light could get to the screen so you had to the light on the magnifier (which used AAA batteries) and when the light was on you couldn't see the screen because I created a huge glare.

Second place Goes to the computers at my school. There hooked up to monitors that make my eyes hurt after 5 minutes, They have 2 USB ports on the front but there worked into the ugly design of the hardware in such a way that you can't plug anything into them. And there's 6 on the back that are hard to reach because of the way the school has them set up (not to mention the tangled mess of cables back there).

iPod *hides*

Im kidding, im kidding. My iPod did break, twice, but it's hardly the worst piece for hardware i've ever used. That title goes to the Microsoft Wireless Optical Notebook Mouse. Cost me £25, lasted 2 months before it just died.

Took it back to PC World (bought it there because of a deal that was on at the time, mouse + bag for £40) and they gave me some bullshit about how it was my fault it broke for "overloading" it with a 2700mAh rechargeable AA. Yes, apparently that mouse can't take anything over 2000 and therefore the warranty was void...

I replaced it with a Logitech which cost me £18. Nearly 2 years later that mouse is still going strong :p

EDIT: Actually, i might rank my Acer laptop slightly worse than that. Not gonna go in to that story again though

Mac Mini, too different for an old top like me. Now wheres that huge grey block I call a PC..

iPod *hides*

Took it back to PC World (bought it there because of a deal that was on at the time, mouse + bag for £40) and they gave me some bullshit about how it was my fault it broke for "overloading" it with a 2700mAh rechargeable AA. Yes, apparently that mouse can't take anything over 2000 and therefore the warranty was void...

Well I've heard some bad things about PC world, but this pretty much is the most stupid thing I've heard. Ampere hours are used to indicate the capacity of the battery. According to that logic I would overload my car engine just by installing a bigger fuel tank :indeed:

Worst piece of hardware that I have used would be MSI motherboards. These ASUS boards I have now are much better.

Mac Mini, too different for an old top like me. Now wheres that huge grey block I call a PC..

There is a bit of a difference to you just not liking something to it actually being bad but whatever, so your saying you'd rather have a giant PC tower than A mac mini thats about a 16th of the size.

Acer Laptop. Lasted a year. Then the motherboard went. I'm guessing that the heat the laptop produced slowly damaged it.

Why didn't I get a longer warranty?

There is a bit of a difference to you just not liking something to it actually being bad but whatever, so your saying you'd rather have a giant PC tower than A mac mini thats about a 16th of the size.

IT'S THE MAC POLICE!

IT'S THE MAC POLICE!

Thats not my intention at all. I'd hate to think what would happen if motion ever found this thread.

Linksys WAG200G Wireless Router. For a start off, the installation fails 90% of the time, and when it does work, it's a nightmare. Secondly, it takes ages for it to get connected to my computer, which is a nightmare. Thirdly, it often disconnects for no reason whatsoever, which pees me off greatly.

Thats not my intention at all. I'd hate to think what would happen if motion ever found this thread.

Whats Motion got to do with this?

So I was wondering, what's everyone's worst piece of hardware they've ever used? It can be from an entire PC to the smallest USB Pen, anything.

Mine would be the Apple Mighty Mouse. I can't believe how flawed the design can be. For instance: today, it will not scroll upwards. Yesterday, it would not scroll downwards.

Mine has worked perfectly ever since I've had it, although I've read tons of stories about the mighty mouse. I nearly didnt buy one, but I love the fact that i can use a scroll wheel to scroll both ways. Have you got a slightly older one? Cus apparently they changed the design slightly so they got less dirty and worked better.

The Nintendo WiFi dongle thingy. Horrible, horrible product that works some of the time then gives up. Two of my friends had one with different problems.

Thank god I now have a router.

Mine has worked perfectly ever since I've had it, although I've read tons of stories about the mighty mouse. I nearly didnt buy one, but I love the fact that i can use a scroll wheel to scroll both ways. Have you got a slightly older one? Cus apparently they changed the design slightly so they got less dirty and worked better.

Mine was bought at the start of the year. I like the design and everything, but for ages it struggled to scroll downwards, and now it doesn't scroll up what-so-ever.

BT home hub.

Yeah I have to restart mine I don't know how many times.

Seagate 400GB harddrives, THOSE BASTARDS NEED TO DIE. Never buying seagate again. Got one, it died, sent it off, replacement died. Geeez, never had hardware die in 6 months before.

Mine was bought at the start of the year. I like the design and everything, but for ages it struggled to scroll downwards, and now it doesn't scroll up what-so-ever.

The People at genius bar apparently say to bang it on your desk to fix that problem, the scroll ball apparently gets gunky after a while. I wouldn't believe it myself if I didn't just see my dad hitting his on his desk.

Well I might plug it back in because last night when I changed mouse I chucked it about a little.